“Good food, poor service ”
Review of Halls Fish Shop

Halls Fish Shop
Ranked #1 of 2 Quick Bites in Bedale
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

We regularly come here just because we enjoy the food. The one thing that always puts a downer on the experience is the service by the younger woman (younger compared to the man (actual Chef) and woman who wraps food - I believe they may be her parents). She never smiles, will not give you eye contact and is not polite at all. It is a shame and I always feel awkward now going in!if the food wasn’t so tasty we wouldn’t keep going.

Date of visit: November 2017
Stephen H, Owner at Halls Fish Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

I pleased that you enjoy our food but obviously disappointed that our service isn’t up to scratch. We shall endeavour to do better.
P.S. it’s not the wife or daughter!!

Reviewed 4 November 2017

Had fish and chips in the café before going to the bonfire. Very busy but the staff were friendly and the fish and chips were delicious. Well done everybody.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Called in here as two of the pubs I tried were not serving food on that day. Restaurant side of the shop is clean but let down by the quality of the food. I had haddock and chips with a mug of tea. The batter was too greasy and the fish itself hard at the edges, the chips were ok! The tea had a strange taste probably due to the water, maybe the boiler needs a good clean. They do not accept payment by cards, cash only.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

I have been coming to Bedale as a regular for about 10 years or so and Halls has never failed to disappoint. The staff has always been polite and welcoming, even if we have come to sit inside, they are always polite and caring towards customers. It has only been in recent years that it has seemed to have lack of care towards the food. It was about a couple of weeks ago maybe more and I think the boss was away because another woman was cooking the food, I was waiting for 2 haddock and chips, 1 Pattie and chips and I asked for 2gravy and 1pot of peas. There was a slightly older woman I'd say 50s-60s and she was stood giving out orders to 2 other members of staff that were working at the time, she spoke in such ways I cannot even begin to repeat. I thought this was very disrespectful to other staff and not something that any customer would want to hear. On the other hand when I took my food home it was burnt and the chips tasted like perfume, I have been a regular here and the food has never disappointed me until then, I am not sure I want to go again because of 1 member of staff speaking inappropriately and the food was a disgrace. I would recommend going because the staff are polite but please get a better cook it's ridiculous!

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank monkeysocks0
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Absolutly disgusted with what I saw and with the food,first of all I saw a member of staff out side smoking (fair enough) went in to order our food two lovely staff on the front "said waiting for chips" as we stood in the que waiting to my surprise the same lady from out side came in (after smoking) and pushed the young member of staff out the way which I found to be very rude not only that she did not go and wash her hands after been outside smoking find that very dirty and unheigetic that she did not wash her hands since she working in a food place (totally wrong) and as was waiting for food to be ready the same lady went out the back or down some were then handed over cigarettes to a young man that was waiting in the corner mind you this is in front view of customers and not a eye lid was battered totally horrified in how a member of staff can get away with this in plane view of customers,and as for the food it was horrible the chips were hard the fish was tasteless and the batter was soggy and don't talk about the peas they were totally nasty and the curry we got was just like coloured water how can anyone want to eat this kind of food and to think we got recommended by a friend,she said the two young girls were very happy and helpful (that is true very different in looks is one but so lovely )never have I seen a member of staff that don't care about not washing there hands and think it's ok to hand cigarettes over counter in full view of customers why can't the manager say something cause this is wrong and if health and heigine were involved what would they say ......all I say is I won't be going back the food was horrendous and the staff (only one )was disgusting how can this happen ...people say it's the "best fish shop around" they need to look again other places are better than what I was served up

Date of visit: August 2017