“sorry but my HEART(missed a)BEAT”

The Goathland Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Goathland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Went on a Heartbeat weekend to see the sights of one of my favourite shows. Thought it would be good to stay in the Goathland Hotel aka Aidensfield Arms. Although it was just like walking onto the set, that's where the excitement ended. Laminated signs saying no photographs, a very small room with what can only be described as cupboard shower. Very expensive for what is offered. The hotel has a large restaurant area which if it was mine I would fill with Heartbeat memorabilia, after all that's the main reason people visit.
Goathland is a lovely village and the people very friendly, Whitby is nearby so well worth a visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fuzzy4food

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have visited this hotel many times over the years and always look forward to going back. We find the staff very friendly and helpful. This is a country pub with rooms so if you are expecting a five star hotel then maybe this is not the place for you. The rooms have great views and are always clean and tidy. The whole area is stunning and we never get bored as the changes in the seasons change the landscape dramatically. The food is freshly cooked and made from good quality, locally sourced ingredients. A hearty breakfast sets you up for the day and the varied lunchtime and evening menu means that we can have a different meal every day ( we usually stay for four nights). A jug of Pimms in the garden after a day out walking or sight seeing is the perfect ending before having a meal followed by a few drinks in the bar and then retiring to the our room for a great nights sleep in their comfortable beds. We have been fortunate enough to travel all over the world, and have stayed in some very nice hotels, but we are always drawn back to this one for at least a couple of visits each year mainly because it is such a stunning area and we know that we will get a very warm welcome.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smartmart4475832
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This pub was one of the most expensive we've stayed in during our UK adventure. Unfortunately the rooms of both couples smelled of something unpleasant. The rooms were a little tired. Meals were average value for money. But on the upside , this is The Aidensfield Arms of TV's Heartbeat fame. You could almost see Alf Ventris in the corner of the bar. Across the road is Scripps Garage & down the road is the steam railway station which is also known as Hogwarts Station in the Harry Potter movies. Probably wouldn't stay here again , but enjoyed area anyway. Oh! Don't forget to visit Whitby, it's well worth the 15 minute drive.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank PeteLozsadventures
Reviewed 2 September 2013

i used to look at heartbeat back in the day so have always wanted to go and see were it is filmed. the place itself is tiny and not much apart from the few shops that you see on the programme, the garage, the pub/hotel and then there are various houses. everything is solely based on the show.
we booked a one night stay in the goathland, the hotel itself is very basic but has everything you need, it is clean and the room we were in was spacious enough. we went across the road for a drink to split the night up.it was nice and the food looked good quality,
on arrival back at the goathland we decided to have a few drinks and get something to eat, bad bad mistake, the food is shocking for what you pay. it seems like it was stuck in a microwave and served with no effort put in to presentation. lets say we wished we ate across the road. the breakfast the following morning was nice and made us a bit happier about the place. just don't eat at any other time of the day.
drinks are quiet expensive as well, 4 pound for a magners or 3.60 for a beer is dear in my book.
its a lovely place but just clearly for the programme making it. if it wasn't for heartbeat i would be slating this place a lot more.its a nice place but nothing special.

Room Tip: try get one on the road as you can see scripps garage
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed here for a few nights, would not stay here again, lots of flies in bar area, very annoying when having a meal. Toilets in bar area, very very disgusting, and room hadn't had decent clean for weeks, worst place we have ever stayed in was not worth money they ask for. breakfast ok. Everything very basic, for price you pay...

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Tazzie34
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I went To the hotel for a number of nights for my evening meals whilst I was staying in the village and I can't agree with some of the reviews because I received a nice welcome from the Spanish staff behind the bar all the time and they remembered me but also the Chinese lady was the best waitress I ever had she was very polite every time and always said good evening to me and everyone in the as well and my my food was always hot and with a nice traditional menu. Also the managers was friendly all the time and the place is just the same as it was in heartbeat which is what I liked about it. Many thanks again jordan Harris

Room Tip: Have the Chinese lady as your waitress she's the best . The overall experience was over 5 star...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank dionharris
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We originally stayed at this hotel 26 years ago for our wedding night. This was many years before Heartbeat was filmed and the hotel was lovely, a typical country pub with rooms which served as the secluded getaway we needed after a big wedding! The same landlord and landlady run the hotel and had given us a lovely room (No.4) overlooking the front of the hotel. Having read some of the poor reviews, it was with some trepidation that we booked in but were greeted with a friendly smile and a nice welcome.

The room was adequate with a king size bed and everything you would need for an overnight stay but I would agree with some of the reviews that the bathrooms are a little on the tired side. Ours was large and did the job and although the shower suite was a modern white one, the tiling and lino had seen better days, as had the carpets in the bedroom. Having said that we both had an excellent nights sleep and were woken to sounds of sheep baa-ing under the window and the stunning view of the sun coming up over the Yorkshire Moors.

Our room did smell of damp in the corner and we noticed that the cupboard in the corner had a damp collector inside. I think the price of the rooms are quite high but you are probably paying for the fact you are in the middle of the North Yorkshire Moors in the middle of summer. If you are wanting 4* accommodation with all the trimmings then you probably would not choose to stay here. This pub is busy and functional and accommodates walkers and holidaymakers alike. Yes, the meal times are quite restrictive but providing you are aware of this prior to booking, there should not be a problem.

There is a lot of Heartbeat memorabillia but then the series was filmed here over several years and Goathland is known as Heartbeat Country so I think it would be a little odd if the hotel did not have any reference to this as most of the shops in the village do too. I don't think the hotel is trading on the name of Heartbeat as this hasn't been filmed for several years and the hotel is still a busy country pub frequented by many.

We chose to eat in the pub as we were only there for one night but the menu is not extensive. My only complaint was the slight attitude I received when I had to let the kitchen staff know my main course was only luke warm. I am not the kind of person who complains but nobody appeared to check the food was ok so my husband had to go and find someone. The lady said the food was the correct temperature when it left the kitchen as they have to test everything with a thermometer first. This made me feel as though I was not telling the truth and ended up having to stick my finger in the middle of the dinner to prove a point. She then took it away and when it returned it was piping hot. Maybe the thermometer needed replacing!

The breakfast the next morning was exceptional however and no complaints on that front. Plenty of choice and everything served fresh and piping hot.

Overall the hotel could perhaps do with a little TLC, especially perhaps the bathrooms but overall we had an enjoyable stop over and would still visit the pub again next time we are passing through.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goathland
The Mallyan Spout Hotel
#135 of 153 in Whitby
Arncliffe Arms
Arncliffe Arms
#1 of 6 in Glaisdale

Been to The Goathland Hotel? Share your experiences!