“More Fawlty Towers than Aidensfield Arms.”

The Goathland Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Goathland B&B and Inns
Nelson UK
“More Fawlty Towers than Aidensfield Arms.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I rang the bell on reception five times, no one came. I had to ask the girl behind the bar to find someone. Breakfast that you must pay for in with the room, is only served between 8.30 and 9.00. We came down at 8.15 and were promptly chased back upstairs by a female Basil Fawlty. " You can't come down at this time, can't you see we are still hovering ". You are given a room key on the end of a foot long plastic tag, rather like a huge shoe horn. This has to be handed in if you step outside the door.
The attitude of the management is that you can like it or lump it. The wi-fi didn't work. The Italian girl behind the bar is "Polly" and her cheerful personality was the only redeeming feature of a joke of a hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank John D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We booked in for 3 nights and picked this one due to it having been the “Aidensfield” in Heartbeat and because it took dogs. Most of the staff were very friendly, especially the dark haired lady at reception and the lovely Italian waitress, but the landlord`s daughter was quite unsmiling and abrupt. Furniture in the bedrooms was quite tired and dated with an industrial toilet dispenser but good sized tvs and very comfortable beds.
The bar(from Heartbeat) is over 18s only so we had to go to the awful family room (my sons are aged 15 and 17) Quite restrictive meal times;dinner between 7 and 8 and breakfast 8.30 to 9.00. The first night we stayed there for dinner and I went into the bar to order drinks and asked if I could have a glass of lager for my 17 year old with his meal. The landlord`s daughter refused very curtly and told me that “they are old laws” and he couldn`t be served. No sorry or similar phrase tagged on to this, just bluntly refused. It was on the tip of my tongue to tell her about her attitude but I didn`t want to spoil the whole stay so said nothing. We`d paid for breakfasts and to be fair they were delicious; however we looked elsewhere for a better atmosphere to eat all other meals for the remainder of the stay. The following afternoon we started going up the road to the far classier Mallyan Spout for a completely different and much warmer welcome and beautiful meals( you can eat in the lovely Spout Bar with your dog). We spent just over £300 on meals at the Mallyan for the remainder of the stay so the Goathland in effect lost these profits. Our three night break cost £595 for the 4 of us. It`s a shame - a little bit of effort by the hotel could make all the difference but some staff there act as if they tolerate custom but not welcome it. Please don`t waste your money - go to the bar for a drink and a photo but there are far nicer places to stay in Goathland. We went this year for Heartbeat but the village is so beautiful and people so friendly in all the other shops and establishments that we`ve already booked to return there next year but we are staying somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank leedsmum123

Travellers are raving about these Goathland hotels

Dalby Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

While it was quite a novelty to be staying at the Aidensfield Arms (which is why we booked here in the first place) the rooms were quite average. The beds we had were quite old and the mattresses were a bit saggy. Breakfast was ok, but only served between 8:30 and 9:00 am. The water temperature and flow was a little inconsistent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ampster
Welshpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We Stayed in the Goathland Hotel for 3 nights at the end of July 2014. And the staff was excellent. Very warm and friendly.The owner greeted us on arrival and was a very Charming man. it was a lovely break.With excellent food The rooms where excellent, cleaned every day every thing was perfect. Very handy having tv in room with a slot for sd card to view photos that had been taken during the day......and also cant forget the bubble little Italy star who waited on us, The only down side was we had to come back home after having such a nice 3 days in friendly Goathland.....Thank you....R6

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maldwyn_colley
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

When you get to Goathland you step back in time so of course the hotel is in keeping with the village and so it should. We found the staff friendly and helpful, breakfast was lovely, room was dated but we expected this. Good sized twin room with lovely views. If you want to stay in a modern no atmosphere hotel, then don't go to beautiful yorkshire villages and stay in the city !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MazSurrey
Heywood, Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We'd read reviews of this hotel and tried to get in somewhere else and this was the only hotel that came up as haveing rooms available that take dogs. It turns out there had been a cock up with the room booking but they gave us a room overlooking Scripps garage. The room was tiny and although clean, VERY dated. There are lots of rules in the hotel. We went to breakfast in the full half hour it's served and found if you don't ask for cereals and juice you don't get it. I asked for kippers (the dish is described as kippers and eggs) and I got kippers (being an idiot I thought it'd have come with eggs and didn't realise I'd have to specify that I wanted them. It turned out that there'd been a cock up with my booking an that infact I'd booked a room for two weeks time. They said they'd already charged my card for the "second booking" as they have a 100% cancellation fee and the night we spent had been classed as a "walk in". I was told I could have a refund as long as I rang laterooms to get the commission they charge cancelled. Laterooms were very helpful and cancelled it. After I emailed the hotel two weeks later to ask about the refund I got a long email telling me it was a gesture of goodwill and I should be grateful as it must be my mistake (it may well have been). I would have given this place two stars if it wasn't for their reluctant help with the booking cock up. The barmaid is great but the owners come across like they'll be friendly and helpful but you need to be very gratefull of it. We wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel. Remember the 100% cancellation charge.