“Simply Gorgeous”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Goathland
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Simply Gorgeous”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I have just returned from our third visit to the Mallyan Spout Hotel. This time we were celebrating a special birthday so we spoilt ourselves with a suite - the Church View room. What a gorgeous room, overlooking both the church and the hotel gardens. The room was spacious and very comfortable with a sizeable ensuite and excellent plumbing (no waiting for hours to run a bath!). As usual the hotel was spotless, the staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful and the food was its usual excellent standard. It should be noted that this hotel is extremely well located to take the dinner train on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. The dinner train leaves from Grosmont and is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the hotel. Thank you Jason for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank GillyK02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was my second visit with family to the Mallyan Spout hotel and I have to say everthing was perfect;! The location is stunning being on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors and with breath taking views to the rear over the Esk Valley. The food was excellent and accounts for the extra inches on my waistline!! My room was spacious and spotlessly clean with a superb quality bathroom but most of all, the staff are fantastic, a warm genuine welcome and nothing is too much trouble. In particular we would like to thank Joe (and Jason) for seeing that our cutlery was set for left handed. I have never had this attention to detail in any hotel I have ever stayed at and although it is only a small thing, it means a lot to my sister and I who are so used to changing the cutlery around as soon as we sit down!
Definately the best hotel in the country and we have already booked to return!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We were looking for a short break and booked a 2 night stay here, based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. We were greeted warmly when we arrived, and the lady on reception (I'm sorry I didn't catch her name) was professional and friendly, showing us up the many flights of stairs to our room on the second floor. We were given room 15 - it is very small, but nicely done, and absolutely spotlessly clean.

We ate in the hotel's restaurant on the first night. You can tell this is a good old Yorkshire hotel by the size of the portions - absolutely massive. The food was great, and so was the service. Breakfast was equally impressive, with a good choice of hot food on the menu, including the full Yorkshire breakfast - this the only hotel I've known that actually serves proper fried (sauteed?) potatoes with a breakfast, none of this American hash brown nonsense! Lovely. A bar meal on our second evening was similarly huge, and very tasty. It's not the cheapest bar meal I've ever had, but for taste and quantity it beats the lot! Bang goes the diet!

I have only two small niggles - first, the shower. It is the type which works from the bathtaps, and it was impossible to maintain a comfortable temperature - I very nearly scalded myself when the temperature of the water suddenly increased to maximum heat. I'd just manage to get it adjusted when it would then suddenly shower me with freezing cold water! Perhaps I should have had a bath instead. Incidently, the bathroom was super. The second point is the temperature in the restaurant - far too hot to be comfortable when dining. Other than this, I can't fault this hotel at all.

The Mallyan Spout hotel has a lovely "feel" to it - the whole place has a really nice, comfortable atmosphere. There are some cosy lounges where you can relax and unwind, and two bars. All the staff are genuinely friendly, polite and helpful - a real credit to the hotel.

We will definitely stay again, without a doubt.

Room Tip: Room 15 is very small, although it does have everything you might need for your stay. The room over...
1 Thank Anis1963
west yorkshire
Reviewed 15 May 2012

just returned from a two night stay in North Yorkshire. One night in Whitby - which has somewhat lost its Magic - then onto the Mallyan Spout which i had simply Googled. What a find. We were welcomend by a lovely lady who upgraded us to a Suite which completely made our stay. Went walking down the Spout and beyond until it got too muddy - but was lovely. Turned back and walked to the pub at Beck Hole - a hard climb but so worth it - sat in the sun enjoying a cold beer. Walked up along the old railway to the top at Goathland a long incline - but keep the pace and you will be fine. At the top we enjoyed all the memories of Heartbeat and called for a drink at the Goathland Hotel - what a mistake!!!! i ordered a glass of wine and have never felt so patronised in my life. The bar tender was unfriendly and unhelpful. We paid £8 for a bad beer and wine. Just think bad Spanish Sherry and it covers both drinks. I wanted a Pinot Grigio but was told they didnt have that and was given a lesson in wine - i explained what i liked but still got 'bad sherry'. They didnt have Pinot Grigio. but when a party came in after us and asked for Pinot Grigio they were miraculously presented with a glass of Pinot. From the look on the lady's face - she too was served the same bad Spanish 'Sherry'. We left choosing not to drink the drinks or question it and just enjoy the memories of Heartbeat. We walked back to our hotel The Mallyan Spout which was like a Oasis in the Desert. What a beautiful place. We ordered sandwiches which were fabulous and drinks which were just what we wanted - no patrinisation whatsoever. Had a lovely evening in our Suite and prepared for dinner. Only downside was hubbys Steak which wasnt the best we have had but the rest was wonderful. The bed was one of the best we have ever slept in - and the views from our room were 'to die for'. Breakfast was lovely and we will certainly be back to the Mallyan Spout Hotel.

Room Tip: Cant go wrong - all good
Rotherfield, East Sussex
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed our stay. Our room was nice and the bed comfortable. We enjoyed breakfast and dinner every night and were not disappointed! The staff were very helpful and friendly,nothing was too much trouble. We were given lots of helpful information about Whitby by one member of staff and were helped with WI-FI access by another. My only criticism is that I had to ask for replacement soap and that our bed linen or towels were not changed during our stay. However, this didn't put me off and I would definately stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

The hotel is situated in Goathland (sometimes better known as Aidensfield), a few hundred yards from the village centre which was home to the TV series “Heartbeat”. A footpath adjacent to the hotel on the right leads behind the hotel to the waterfall from which the hotel takes its name. To make it a circular walk, from the waterfall follow the river downstream to Beck Hole, returning back along the narrow roads or double back a little to follow the disused railway cutting slowly uphill back to Goathland village.

We paid top rate (£100/night) for a standard room, but were given an upgrade to the superior room which was very spacious and really appreciated. Even so, the rates are probably expensive for the area, and may explain why the hotel and restaurant was almost empty on our first evening. However, it seems the hotel offer some special mid-week rates, and the hotel and restaurant were much busier on our second evening. This is a big period hotel set in an idyllic setting and is ideal for walkers. If it is only the Heartbeat attraction and the Aidensfield Arms you’re interested in then the less fit may be better off looking for boarding nearer the village centre to save the 10 minute walk.

The open moors opposite the hotel make an idyllic setting, so if you ask for one of the front rooms (I recommend room 4) you’ll awake to spectacular views of the North Yorkshire Moors. Another local attraction is the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) which has steam trains running from the coast at Whitby, via Goathland to Pickering.

If you enjoy walking, then I recommend a walk from the hotel over the moors and then through forestry to Levisham (about 8 miles), and get the steam train back to the Goathland (last train about 16:20). You’ll need a good map (Explorer Map OL27) and walking boots as the moors are quite boggy in places. The hotel will probably have a train timetable, but its best to prepare by downloading one (www.nymr.co.uk) before you leave home.

Room Tip: Its worth asking for a special room overlooking the moors and hope to get an upgrade!
tranent
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We have just returned from our second stay 7th to 11th May 2012.On arrival at reception our welcome was again warm and friendly with offered help with our luggage.The room [12] was perfect, warm spotless and with a great view. The hotel has a warm and cozy atmosphere with a terrific log fire.There is an excellent choice of menu served in the restaurant or bar all served by well mannered staff.We have booked again in September for a little longer this time.Thank you all at Mallyan Spout for making our visits memorable and lasting ones.

1 Thank patandtommy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goathland
Raithwaite Estate
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,175 reviews
Victoria Hotel
Victoria Hotel
#1 of 2 in Robin Hood's Bay

Been to The Mallyan Spout Hotel? Share your experiences!