“Such a lovely surprise !”
Review of Fallowfields Restaurant - CLOSED

Fallowfields Restaurant
Price range: US$42 - US$91
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fallowfields Restaurant is situated in this attractive country house hotel. During the day there are wonderful views over their grounds and the paddocks beyond. In the evening the atmosphere is candlelit and truly romantic. Afternoon tea is superb; take it by the fire in our drawing room or outside in the warmer months. The lunch time offering is a £30 five dish menu, 6 if you include delicious canapes with your drinks. It is simply the best value I have eaten in years. Sunday lunch is similarly priced and is also 5 dishes, with traditional roasts, some of them from their own farm. Vegetables are also grown in abundance in their kitchen garden. Head Chef Matt Weedon was number 45 in the 2012 Sunday Times Best Restaurant list. Fine diners may have previously eaten his glorious food at either Lords of the Manor or Glenapp Castle. He was awarded the coveted 3 AA Rosettes at Fallowfields in January 2014. Rachel, Matt's wife runs the restaurant and has really embraced "local" with wonderful locally brewed ales by the bottle, artisan gins and English vodkas. Relax before lunch or dinner with one of her beautifully crafted cocktails. This fine dining restaurant is in the village of Kingston Bagpuize in the heart of the Oxfordshire countryside.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The missus took me for my birthday as she was looking for a fine dining restaurant knowing that we had already been to the Fat Duck, the Waterside Inn, Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons, etc.
She found this restaurant here on Tripadvisor but was told by a friend of hers that she'd heard it was overrated and probably over-the-top. You know, the kind of pretentious place that would overcharge for a drop of sauce and a blade of grass.
I don't know where this is coming from as we were very far from it.

We went for the tasting menu with the matching wine selection.
We could talk about these little imperfections (sorry but the English red wine wasn't the best match for the main course) but that would be focusing on tiny details compared to what was a very good surprise and a wonderful experience. We'll definitely bring the in-laws who are experienced foodies as I'm sure they'll love it.

I'm not so much into white wines but I must say each of them were amazing and the perfect combination with the corresponding dish. Do go for it, you won't regret it !

If you want to rediscover the proper taste of ingredients (such a concentrate of flavours in that chicken is simply unbelievable, those strawberries

I'd like to highlight the work of our Maître D who was very accommodating, and offered the best advice: listen to her she does know about wines and whiskies.

I definitely recommend them (and I'm so happy that they're just 15 min from home!!!)

Anthony L, Owner at Fallowfields Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Looking forward to meeting you when you bring your experienced foodie in-laws with you. Mind you, as you have clearly been to a number of very fine eating places yourselves, I would think of you as a foodies too.

I do hope you have mentioned to your friend how you had found us.

You were so right to go for the tasting menu....most foodies do as they know it is chef's pride and joy wherever there is one. At £59 for the 7 courses, this is amazing value too. Your comment about the Gusbourne Pinot Noir is the second time I have heard this. Pinot Noir is the lamb grape for me, so Rachel and I will have a look at this against the new lamb dish. It is an unusual Pinot and we are desperately trying to introduce some English red, so I had high hopes for this one. Anyway as I say, Rachel and I will look at this again.

Also many thanks for your specific mention of Rachel our Restaurant Manager, who has done such a great job of getting some truly great English white wines and sparkling rose onto our wine list, but also in the bar has replaced all vodkas except those made in England. Likewise most of our gins are small batch production and delicious neat or with tonic - the Botanist is an absolute must.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Seven course taster menu perfectly presented very good food, large variety of dishes may ingredients sourced locally

Anthony L, Owner at Fallowfields Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your review, and am so glad you went for the taster menu. I have mentioned this before but this represents superlative value for money too [as well as being delicious] at £59 per person.

A vegetarian taster menu is also available but we do need notice on booking for this.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The setting and service are of the highest standards. We had the tasting menu which had changed from the sample on the website. That was shame as the courses were not really of my taste hence the reason i am not giving 5 stars. I would return but eat off the A la Carte menu as the standard of food is very high and it would be good to choose what inate.

Anthony L, Owner at Fallowfields Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for your review.

Our menus are changing all the time as new veggies come out of our kitchen garden, as well as with with the seasons and with customer and staff feed back too. So in one way I am glad the tasting menu has changed but, am sorry it was not necessarily to your taste. As you say the A La Carte option is always there for those for whom the tasting menu does not appeal.

Our wine flights are paired with the tasting menu but then we do the same with all options on our A La Carte too.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Let me start by saying that we eat out regularly, are members of the Chaîne de Rotisseurs and have the reviews to back this up. We were looking for a nice birthday lunch, in a nice venue which had both regular and vegetarian menus. Having checked online, we chose this restaurant as it had everything we were looking for. When we arrived, there was a wedding party but as we were there quite late in the day, we didn't feel that there would be any impact on us. We were, however, handed only the set lunch menu, although we were hoping for and asked about the à la carte or tasting menus. There was no vegetarian menu produced. We asked for a vegetarian menu and were informed that we should have told them in advance. The only option available for each course could not be eaten by a pregnant vegetarian and yet before booking, she checked online to ensure a suitable selection was available. Whilst we were seated at the bar area with our chosen cocktails, the very haughty woman who was serving us took our order- the remainder of us chose the beef main course option. We were all asked how we liked it and each in turn said "medium rare" the final order was for "rare" and she informed us haughtily that you should eat this "medium rare" and summarily dismissed the notion. We had to argue with her to get an alternative suitable vegetarian option. This introduction did not bode well and a further off hand remark from her did not help, after we sat down at the table. Thankfully, we did not see her again after that as the rest of the staff were pleasant, helpful, friendly and efficient. We enjoyed the meal and the two good bottles of wine we ordered. Most of the food hit the mark in terms of flavour although we did feel that we could have had a few less amuse bouche/ tasters and rather more of the starter and main course. The afore mentioned beef was excellent but veering on the less than generous side. In summary; lovely venue, nice food slightly expensive for what you get and the staff all excellent bar one. ( the rating we are giving does not take Her into account).

1  Thank Moosie57

We made a bit of a mess up of the vegetarian offering but we did not know your vegetarian lady was also pregnant until the last moment...and in a small place like this, we do not prepare a vegetarian menu each day...there simply is not the demand and the food just goes to waste. Unwanted vegetarian food cannot even be fed to our rare breed pigs these days.

I am a great supporter of Rachel - she does a fantastic job here, and although I apologise profusely for how she appeared to come across to you - I will simply say that exceptional personal circumstances can very occasionally and exceptionally cross over to a guest.

I am suspecting you will not return and that is a shame because I believe we pretty well consistently deliver great food and service in a warm, caring and unpretentious environment. I passionatelybelieve this

Reviewed 15 June 2014

father's day meal. ok menu...3 courses £30...fair enough. food ok but totally uninspiring. The biggest drawback is the dated decor. Needs complete makeover to bring the place into 21st century. (please get rid of those hideous black sofas and tub chairs....It lets the whole place down) All in all Food and Service would have been made far more enjoyable if the furnishings,including the tatty dining chairs, were in keeping with the building. I know this sounds pedantic but it really stands out which is a shame as it lets the whole place down.

Anthony L, Owner at Fallowfields Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I am saddened you found our food uninspiring, as I eat regularly in our restaurant and have never felt that was the word to describe it. So I am really sorry you felt it so.

My famous black sofas have come in for another drubbing. I still like them...the theme is after all black and gold. Is that dated? Well I guess you could call it that as black and gold themes have been around for along while...but I still find it pleasing.

I won't deny, that as our success continues, and in light of yours and others comments, the black sofas will be replaced...but we are coming out of recession, and have invested strongly in other aspects of the business...but rest assured black sofas will go as and when funds allow.

We were pretty busy on Father's day and had put out all our available seating and I agree there were 5 chairs that you could rightly describe as tatty. These have been taken out of service and the covers replaced.