“The perfect way to go back in time”
Review of Lucknam Park

Lucknam Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Colerne
London, United Kingdom
“The perfect way to go back in time”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My partner and I stayed overnight for my birthday and it was the perfect present. The hotel is charming in a superb setting and the staff are excellent...
It feels like you go back in times where service actually meant more than just pretending. We had dinner in the main restaurant and although it was a quietish night and the room could make you feel a little intimidated, the professionalism of the staff and perticular attention of the Maitre D made this the perfect evening...
If you want to be treated like a real guest, then you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank ptatworld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 11 April 2012

In summary: a perfect choice for a relaxing spa break in the beautiful English countryside.

Only quibble: the decor of the room was a bit fusty and old fashioned

I spent 3 nights at Lucknam with my best friend in February, we had booked a spa package including 1.5hours of treatments. We were very lucky with the weather, as it was glorious wintry sunshine though icy cold.

The drive up the one-mile driveway to the hotel is stunning, my car was whisked away and we were taken to our room. We were on the ground floor on the courtyard, it was very quiet, the room was very large with seating area, telly, big wardrobe, huge bed, lovely big bathroom. However I was not a fan of the decor which was like a Laura Ashley door-to-door salesman's swatch bag had exploded (however I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the hotel is in the process of refurbishing the rooms).

The grounds are beautiful, and reception lent us wellies for the mud which was well-advised! Reception has 4 OS maps of different country walks in the area which we very much enjoyed.

Breakfast in the brasserie was varied and very good, the service was generally good. During the day the brasserie gets very busy and there are lots of day trippers to the spa, and while it didn't feel crowded the service got a bit haphazard, but we weren't bothered as we were there to relax. I would have liked to have seen more healthy options on the dinner menu as it is a spa.

The spa is wonderful. Decent sized indoor pool, opening through a sliding door in the water to a tropically heated outdoor pool, so we were able to enjoy the winter sunshine and country view from the steamy hot water. Such a luxury. We also enjoyed the steam rooms and the pool deck.

The treatments were top notch. They are not cheap, but totally worth it. My favourite was the Anne Semonin body scrub ritual, my skin was baby soft for weeks afterwards. The therapists were excellent and really knew their stuff (annoyingly I cannot remember any of their names).

We ate at the Michelin star restaurant on our last night, the food was exquisite and insanely rich as you would expect (I had the venison) but I wasn't a huge fan of the (lack of) atmosphere in the restaurant, it was a bit too fusty and formal for my taste.

The hotel doesn't seem particularly child friendly (this is not a criticism of the staff, i'm sure they would be very accommodating to families) because it is a very quiet, peaceful, adult environment. That was a draw for me, but something to bear in mind if you are travelling en famille.

We had a bit of a kerfuffle when it came to paying our bill when we checked out as there was a misunderstanding over what our package did and didn't include (we thought it included 1.5 hours of treatments for each of us, the hotel didn't), which wasn't ideal, but the staff were very helpful and courteous as always. Perhaps the T's & C's of the package needed to be clearer on the website?

We left Lucknam feeling refreshed and recharged, I highly recommend it and would definitely like to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank always_searchin
London
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I almost felt sorry for the serving staff when we all arrived, 3 adults and 5 pretty loud children. They were fantastic and the brasserie seems completely geared up for modern families and their hoards. The kids menu was pretty varied and I was shocked by the quality of the kiddie food, it was fantastic and my toddler polished off a delicious shepherds pie. My meal was exceptional and more than the food, we were made to feel most welcome, the waiter even kindly offering a damp towel so that I could sponge off my toddlers mucky hands and face after said pie was demolished. The kids found bikes and scooters which also kept them amused post feast. I would definitely visit again and feel that although pricey the quality more than justified the cost. My hubby is keen to stay at the hotel next time too as it looks wonderful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Bargainsgalorecat
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My sister and I had the most magical weekend at Lucknam Park Hotel and Spa for my hen weekend.
From the moment we arrived the staff made every effort to ensure our stay was exceptional.
The hotel is absolutely stunning, set in the most idyllic countryside. There is so much on offer; glorious walks, horse riding, the Spa and more.
We enjoyed various spa treatments over the course of our stay and I really can't recommend it enough. Lucknam Spa is beautiful. The treatments were out of this world, but I think what makes it unique is the attention to detail - little things like after each treatment you are taken to a chill out room to relax on reclining chairs, offered fresh fruit or herbal tea, have a nap or take a dip in the pool.
We ate in the Brasserie on the Friday evening and the Park restaurant on the Saturday and both evenings were superb. The staff go out of their way to accommodate you and are friendly and helpful but never intrusive.
Our room was super, with many amenities including a dvd player and dvd library service where you can borrow the latest films. The only thing that could be improved was I felt the mattress was a little hard and our room got a little chilly at night.
But all in all we enjoyed a wonderful weekend.
I hope to go back soon and can't thank everyone at Lucknam Park enough for making my hen weekend truly perfect!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank happyzoo
cornwall
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The long drive and approach to the hotel are stunning and make you anticipate something special. We were upgraded - the bed was lovely with nice linen but the bathroom was a huge disappointment - quite dated. Quite annoying that there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room - of course you can request room service - but if you wake in the night it's nice to be able to make a drink!

The drawing room was beautiful and cocktails by the fire a real treat. However, the hotel was fairly quiet when we there and the large number of staff involved in getting drinks and taking our dinner orders was a bit daunting. My husband was slightly intimidated by the sommelier but I wasn't - just be prepared to have a different wine suggested than what you have chosen (unless you are a wine buff!). My vegetarian meal was probably the most beautifully presented and delicious tasting 'fine dining' veggie meal I have ever had - finally I get the same experience as meat and fish eaters - well done to the chef (though I wasn't pleased at having to phone to confirm I was actually a vegetarian as if this was something very out of the ordinary!).

Breakfast in the brasserie was not great - we had to wait ages and weren't very impressed with what finally arrived. I think we should have stuck with the main restaurant.

The spa was wonderful - it wasn't very busy and felt very luxurious and I loved everything about it!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hiphiphooray
salisbury, uk
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I have never yet been over impressed with a 5* hotel for the higher the number of stars the higher are the expectations but Lucknam Park in my view, fulfills all those hopes. The welcome from reception was superb with a discreet but professional manner. We were escorted not only to our room, but were given a short tour of the public areas so that we knew where to go. Our room was lovely, just the right size, with comfortable arm chairs and a bathroom that while not huge, was adequate. The view over the gardens to the side was tranquility itself. The room was furnished with antique furniture - so much nicer that the corporate makeover so often used now. Our bags were already in the room, so none of that unfortunate hanging around of the porter for his tip!
Dinner in the Park Restaurant was simply perfect. We had the gourmet tasting menu and accompanied it with the wines chosen for the menu by the sommelier. The range of ingredients used was impressive from sweetbreads, to turbot, veal, venison, fois gras, mango, peas (in a Panna Cotta), passion fruit, amazing cheeses and so on. Each dish beautifully presented, perfectly proportioned and with flavous put together by someone who really is at the top of his game. This meal had been preceded by champagne and the most exquisite canapes in the Drawing Room (where my room key was discreetly whisked away and then given back on departing the restaurant, as the waiter had observed that I was not carrying a bag). The service easily matched the food - being extremely professional but friendly with none of the starch or snootiness which so often is found in equivalent establishments.
The spa attached to the hotel is second to none. Extremely efficient staff in a simply superb setting with excellent facilities.
If I have a criticism it is that the brasserie attached to the spa was a little lacking in warmth from the staff. While I appreciate that this is meant to be more informal dining you are still in an exclusive establishment and I was a little surprised to be ignored when we entered. However, the mixed platter of nibbles that we had as an early lunch was again superb.
Other reviewers have commented that the place needs smartening up. Well maybe. The paint on our windowsill was definitely due for renewal but I would rather have the odd bit of flaking paint if it means that the attention to detail inside the hotel is of this standard. Yes, £6.00 for morning tea is, I suppose pricey, but it came with a delighful home made muffin and a pain aux raisons and was leaf tea served in a silver pot etc. What a lovely way to start a day!
My daughter said that she felt as though she was staying in a house from Pride and Prejudice which believe me, is a great compliment! There is all the warmth of staying with friends with the absolute bliss of being looked with true courtesy and professionalism.
Being under an hour from where we live, I suspect I may have developed a rather expensive habit with Lucknam Park!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Allison L
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is a lovely hotel within very nice grounds and gardens and an imposing long drive to the hotel. The rooms are very expensive but certainly, for the room allocated to us, room No 4, with a sofa bed for our daughter, it was not that large or wonderful, especially for the inflated price paid, perhaps because it was a later booking over the May Bank Holiday period.

House keeping left something to be desired. The shower (no bath) outlet was blocked. On another day the house keeping bundled up our daughter’s toys with the bedclothes and on the final day the room had been left open after cleaning. Somehow the free drinks in the brasserie did not seem to compensate for these matters and whilst the brasserie itself is a delightful place to eat the hotel is far too expensive for what it offers and the quality of the rooms provided. The staff were friendly and helpful though.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what you are getting!