“Veru busy on a Sunday lunchtime”
Review of The Lifeboat Inn

The Lifeboat Inn
Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in Selsey
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fish and seafood speciality restaurant
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We went here a meal Sunday lunchtime after dropping in for a pint on the Saturday evening. The food was very good, a little expensive for a pub but good value for money. The service was fairly minimal and it was rather crowded and they had run out of crab which one of us had wanted. This was in January so I imagine it may be impossible in the tourist season.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I like to try a different Fish Dishes as most of it is caught locally - Smoked Haddock Mornay - a Béchamel sauce with grated Cheddar cheese with fresh salad and brown bread and my wife had Battered Mushrooms - both were delicious and the cider batter on the mushrooms was so light and crispy I could have eaten them all day. To follow I had Pheasant with an onion sauce with fresh vegetables - The sauce was not overbearing in taste and complimented the bird fantastically the cauliflower was cooked better than I've ever tasted. I had some mushy veg before but this was cooked correctly with a semi firm cut to it. My wife had the beef Cobbler - too much meat and dumplings for I so I had to help. The gravy was very rich and beefy - when I complemented the owner I asked to find out it was a beer and wine stock used. With alcohol and soft drinks this came to less than £36. Will go again soon.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Went for lunch with daughter who lives in Selsey. Thought we would give it a go. Wish we hadn't bothered. Fortunately, it was a rather nice October day, so we could sit outside, which was preferrably, as the interior of the pub was grim at best and smelt unpleasant. The waitress was unsmiling, somewhat brusque and disinterrested whilst the food was mediocreand over priced for what it is (and that's being generous). You get much better food, much cheaper in a Harvester. Might be ok if just popping in for a cool drink on a warm summers day, but my daughter and I both ,agreed whilst still there that we would never return.

2  Thank Sarah J
Reviewed 11 October 2013

How nice to find a proper pub where you can just have a pint of well-kept beer rather than having to eat - however, if you do eat, the food is good and the service is both friendly and prompt. If you're hungry, the fish and chips is good and there are tables outside if the weather's nice.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We know Selsey very well and have visited the town many times.....we thought we would give the Lifeboat a try......my scores;
Wine -very good
Starter (Selsey crab) excellent
Mains......I had the pork in cider sauce which was awful.....the veg in particular was boiled to slush.
My wife had the Dover sole (which was good)......same comment on veg...
The service was awful and we decided to head for the door after the mains as nobody seemed to be interested in taking our orders for a dessert.......will not be going there again