“Good Hotel, very poor parking facilities, cold "hot" buffet”

Best Western Plus Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Meriden
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 2 days 1 night, this was a business trip to attend a conference and I must say the hotel did well in all areas. The one area that must be improved has to the parking, I thank fully managed to find a space but many people ending up parking on the front lawn which is not ideal, also there were a couple of "close shaves" observed when people were driving around the car park due to the amount of vehicles/lack of spaces.

The room was clean and spacious, the bar was very reasonable and the food (evening dinner and Breakfast) of a good standard. The poor element of food was the conference buffet lunch, this was hot & cold finger buffet which I was shocked to see that "hot" food had been put out with no means as to keep it hot, which was a little surprising as the HSE were present for the conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the bars and reception to ensure good sleep quality
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kevin B
Arron W, Manager at Best Western Plus Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Manor hotel. I am delighted to read that your enjoy the comfort of your bedroom and your evening meal; however I was sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your visit and that certain aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations. All of your comments have been discussed with the appropriate team members, where by your feedback has been taken on board.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Have stayed here a couple of times pleasant hotel, nice area, rooms are comfortable and clean. Staff attentive. They have parking for 200 cars but when they have weddings on its hard to park. No problem with noise even thou large wedding party in hotel. We were given a room at the back of the hotel so that we were not disturbed . .
Down side , for a large hotel they need to revamp the menu , limited choice and ,I started with soup which unfortunately for me was too peppery hot for my taste , which was unfortunate , but the chicken pie was not a pie 3 of us had it , it was in a bowl of what looked like chicken soup with a flat not risen pastry topping , I had had soup and didn't want more soup didn't eat either course ,
I would stay here again but would probably go out to eat.

Room Tip: If weddings are on ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from any noise .
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay here at the hotel. May I apologise once again for your experience in our restaurant, as mentioned I have shared your feedback with our Head chef and improvements have been made to the dish to ensure this is not repeated.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

yet again i have stopped at this hotel given a room upgrade as a BW diamond member...room spotless comfy bed powerful shower ate in houstons and asked for something which was not on menu but had been on menu on previous stay ...manageress asked what it was said no problem and it was a done . This is a hotel which i will continue to return to as i have never had a problem in my stays and rooms are always spotlessand staff helpful

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jetboot

Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for your kind review regarding your recent stay at the hotel, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade as being part of the Best Western rewards scheme and also your evening meal in our Houston's Bar & Grill.

Should you wish to visit us again in the future, you can also contact our reservations team on 01676 522735.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here fir one night on business, checked in okay, then started a series of three room changes, 1st I asked because they put me in the room at the back of beyond in fact the furthest away room they had, now some people like that but I don't like having to walk through the entire hotel on my own at night. Second room was dark and roasting hot, I opened the window which was locked at about a two inch gap, found the towel heater was on full blast, went to turn it off but couldn't so called reception, 25 mins later got a call to say they can't turn them off and would need to move me, moved again, this time great light room, two windows that opened fully and aircon, finally sorted. Dinner in the bar was pretty awful, plates and cutlery were dirty, wine selection was beyond poor and they bought the bottle over already opened so luck for them it was the right one, glass full of cork shows the person who opened it didn't know how. Pillows were hollow fibre and thin, everything else was just okay nothing special or outstanding, breakfast was okay. Would I stay here again? No thanks

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Manor hotel; I was sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your visit and that certain aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations. All of your comments have been discussed with the appropriate team members of the hotel. I believe that it is only through customer interaction and feedback that we can truly improve the service and offering that we have available, and therefore your comments are an invaluable element to the continued success of the hotel.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

• Upon arrival on reception, we were not very welcomed or greeted. Rushed through the checking in process. We could not understand the receptionist as she was so quick! I had to ask her to repeat a number of things.
• We went to the bar and ordered some drinks, once again to not a very friendly bar lady, I asked for a packet of peanuts, none were on sale, only packets of crisps for £1 each!
• We then went to sit outside. After a while, a young man came out to have a chat and I asked him about a bowl of peanuts to accompany our drinks. He said he would ask the manager and went away, never to return.
• I then saw the manager and called him over, asking him for a bowl of peanuts, not much for a supposedly 4* hotel! He answered quite abruptly, we don’t have any peanuts at all. I replied, this really is not very customer friendly. He then replied, feel free to put in a complaint by all means and I said I would!
• Sometime later, he came back with a bowl of peanuts, saying he had been to the shop to buy them, which of course was a lie! We never felt so patronised and insulted. You would think we asked for a free case of champagne! He needs to either go on a customer service course or get a new job!
• We had booked dinner in the restaurant, however, we cancelled it following this and went to the local pub, where the menu was far more interesting and the staff more welcoming.

• Went down to breakfast.
• No glasses for juice, no bowls for cereal, no butter and no jam on the table.
General Comments
• Generally the staff were miserable, unfriendly and unhelpful. The atmosphere was very heavy, claustrophobic and unpleasant.
• No air conditioning in the room for a 4* is somewhat surprising.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Toremans

Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay with us.
I am disappointed to read of your experience as we always wish our guests to have a great and relaxing stay with us. May I take this time to apologise once again on behalf of the hotel for the issues you encountered. All of your comments have been discussed with the appropriate team members, where by your feedback has been taken on board.

If I can be of any further assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me at arron.wincott@manorhotelmeriden.co.uk

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We arrived back home yesterday after staying the night at The Best Western Plus Manor House Meriden and oh what a shame it was only for one night.

We had booked a short break, Dinner, bed and Breakfast, through Cooperative Travel for the two of us and two friends as part of a Warwick Castle Break and whilst the castle was great just staying at the hotel was a real break for us all.

The rooms we had were spotless, Dinner was great and so was the breakfast.
The staff were so professional, polite and helpful and that is something for some of the UK hotels we have stayed at previously.

The down side was that the car park was very busy but to tell you that we did't really notice an exceptionally large amount of customers in the hotel says a lot for the general organisation.

As for Cooperative Travel they must have a mention as Krisi from the Shrewsbury office was so helpful.

Well Done and Thank You Everyone

Room Tip: We didn't have any complaints about our rooms at all but cannot comment on others. There is not...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RandRF

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay here at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Manor hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly your bedroom, evening meal and the staff at the hotel.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We booked this hotel as part of a "Holidays Extras" package. We were flying from Birmingham at 0700 hours on the 29/05/2014. We thought we would get the holiday off to a relaxing start by booking a park and fly deal at this hotel. It included 15 days parking, one nights B&B, return taxi transport to the airport plus we had booked a table for dinner at 1800 hours on the 28th having selected from their menu available on their website. This was all with the intention of having a quiet evening and an early night before having to rise at 0400 hours the following morning to travel the short journey to the airport.
We arrived at the hotel at mid-afternoon on the 28th. We hauled our luggage into reception and we were asked to take a seat. A young lady appeared, she apologised profusely and said there had been an error and that there had been an overbooking of parking allocation for the park and fly deal. We explained that we had already found a parking space in their car park. She was adamant there had been an overbooking and said she had booked us into another Best Western Hotel just down the road, The Windmill Village. She said all the rest of the booking would be honoured.
Somewhat annoyed we set off for the other hotel. It turned out to be approximately five miles down the road. On checking in there we were told their restaurant did not open until 2000 hours, We looked at their menu, it was entirely different to the Meriden Manor. The receptionist stated we could eat in the bar at 1800 hours. In view of our inconvenience my wife asked for a complimentary bottle of wine with our meal. After telephoning the other hotel they agreed although the barman was not aware of it when we ordered our meal and he had to double check.
To top it all we did not get a winks sleep because the room was so hot although the radiators were not on. They also tried to charge us for the wine when we checked out the following morning. On the flight back from our holiday we discovered there was another couple who had suffered a similar plight to us and they stated there was a bus load arriving at the Meriden Hotel as they were relocating.
After our experience I would not recommend this hotel or the one we eventually stayed at both Best Western Hotels.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clive P

Dear Guest,

May I sincerely apologise once again for your experience with us, and also for your experience at our sister hotel.

For your information, as a direct result of receiving your feedback, procedures have been implemented to ensure the shortcomings you unfortunately experienced, are not allowed to occur again in the future.

If I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me at arron.wincott@manorhotelmeriden.co.uk

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
The Strawberry Bank Hotel & Restaurant
Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Crowne Plaza Solihull
Crowne Plaza Solihull
#8 of 28 in Solihull
Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!