“Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Meriden
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I have now been for Sunday lunch on 3 occasions.
Fantastic service. Friendly and efficient.
Perfection on a plate!!!
Great value for money.
5* food, lovely ingredients, hot, well cooked, well presented.
Am going back soon to treat my Mum.

Room Tip: Sunday lunch is delicious.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank andrea p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My wife and I stayed here as we were attending a concert at the LG Arena. It is well situated only 3 miles away and gives decent value for money if you want to avoid the more expensive alternatives on or closer to the NEC site.

The Hotel was fairly basic but clean and upon arrival the staff were welcoming and helpful. The double room adequately sized but dont expect any mod cons. YES the T.V was a small portable. The hotel on the whole appeared rather noisy and you heard every door close (or rather bang) and voices echoed along the corridor.

Don't expect a relaxing glass of wine in the afternoon since the bar doesn't open till 6:30pm and was closed by the time we arrived back at 11:15pm. We couldn't even get a couple of wine glasses to take back to our room because apparently 'It isn't allowed'. Not sure what the staff thought we were going to do with them.

If you need a taxi during your stay avoid the hotels recommended firm 'Village Cars'. They dropped us some 500 yards from our destination 'apparently that is more convenient', for them maybe but not us. They then failed to pick us up later as arranged so we were left standing in the freezing cold for 45 mins.

Overall this is not a bad place to stay. We paid £79 on 'Bookings.com' Their rack rate is £99. Our price is a fairer relection of the value of this hotel, so shop around.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Staffs. UK.
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Stayed here overnight before a trip from Birmingham airport. Good location in the centre of Meriden 10 mins from the airport. Reception staff were friendly, polite and helpful. I asked if I could leave my car at the hotel, while I went abroad and they allowed me to do that for no extra charge ( perhaps they should advertise this service !). The room was very dated, old fashioned decor and a tiny TV - of the old fashioned tube variety - could do with a bit of a makeover.. Overall good value for money, if you are just looking for a bed for the night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank richardi
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The wife and I stayed here for a wedding, the staff was all really nice and friendly and made us feel welcome, the room and bathroom was a little dated but very clean. the only negative was the room was very hot but it was very humid that nite and we didnt mention this to staff, maybe a fan in the room.The breakfast buffet full english and continental was really nice and plentyfull. also there is a nice big car park too. so thank you to all the staff for our pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We recently visited this hotel for an overnight stay. We arrived late and went straight into a meal in the restaurant, which was pretty quiet, but then it was about 8.30. The meal was very nice, no problems with that, the wine was a little bit pricey, but it was nice.
Our room was down a quiet corridor which overlooked the car park, it was ok apart from the overwhelming smell of urine in the bathroom. This is a problem not confined to budget hotels as we have stayed at the Belfry and had the same problem. However in this day and age with so many cleaning products available there really is no excuse. The rooms on the inside overlook the garden and would be nice and quiet. However we had no problem with noise at all.
We went down to breakfast the next morning which was in a rather small dark internal room. About 15 of us were having breakfast. It was totally hideous.
It really was the worst breakfast I have ever encountered.
There were jugs of milk and fruit juice, containers of cereal, so far so good. However the "hot breakfast" part was the big let down. There wer 4 large metal dishes on food warmers, these were keeping fried eggs, sausages, baked beans, bacon and the most hideous greasy hash browns. They smelt awful. All this was all rather lukewarm and it was topped off by a pile of cold plates on which to serve yourself.
There was no toast forthcoming until we asked for it and a lousy cup of tea finished off the whole mess.
It is a shame as it is a nice location and very useful for the NEC.
The staff were friendly and apart from the bathroom and the breakfast it was fine. However we will not be returning unfortunately.
The B & B and evening meal cost us £110 for the night, I suppose this is value for money of a sort but it is a shame.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I needed a hotel in order to attend an event at the nearby Forest of Arden hotel. Strawberry Bank Hotel was only 3 mins in the car away, so I had a look. The website was a joy to use, informative and easy to navigate and as I was booking 3 weeks in advance the Hotel offered great value for Money. The hotel looked modern, clean and tidy - I was not disappointed.

Overall my experience was very pleasant and comfortable. Upon arrival there was plenty of space in the huge car park to park my car. At the reception I was greeted by a friendly receptionist who made me feel welcome and I was checked in within 3 or 4 mins. The room was very clean very tidy and had a pleasant room temperature. The hot water for the bath was HOT instantly, which was good as I did not have to wait for ages for this bath to fill up.

Breakfast in the morning was again very pleasant with waiting staff on hand to serve me. The food was great and in abundance, I went for the "Full" English and was not disappointed - FAB.

After I checked out, I had to fill an hour or so before I was due to leave so I asked the receptionist if I could plug in my PC to the power socket. I was invited to sit in the lounge area where I could plug in my PC and work away in relative peace and quiet - brilliant.

The only one thing I would say is it would be nice to have some sort of ID for my room key, usually one receives a card with the hotel name, my name and room number. I just feel safer when I ask for my room key that I have to show my card or my name before I get my key. Not a big issue but it would have been better to have some sort of ID to get access to the room key.

This hotel was very pleasant, very accommodating, safe and clean – good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were travelling from Birmingham to Cancun and had booked the Manor Hotel Meriden for the night prior to the flight through Holiday Extras. On arrival at the Manor Hotel we were informed (somewhat brusquely) by the Receptionist that a conference meeting had over-run and that the rooms we had booked were no longer available as they needed the rooms for those attending the conference. They stated they did not have any details to enable them to contact us to inform us about this (???? We have stayed there previously on several occasions.) No apology, just a statement of fact, they decided that the people whose conference had over-run took precedence. (I can quite understand their reasoning, but felt decidely peeved that they did not have the decency to apologise for the inconvenience caused to us.)

Anyway they had booked us into Strawberry Bank Hotel just up the road.

When we arrived at the Strawberry Bank Hotel, the lady who greeted us was very polite. We were given our room key and asked about getting an evening meal (it was about 9:35). She stated that the restaurant should be closing shortly but she would ask if they would keep it open longer for us. We were informed that breakfast was included in the rate and told where this would be served. Not wanting to create a fuss we asked for the menu there and then, and chose our food. We then took our cases up to our room and came straight back down to the restaurant.

The food and service was excellent, they certainly did not rush us, and although we had pre-ordered, they waited until we arrived in the restaurant so that the food was freshly cooked (much appreciated when you order fish!). After the meal we went for a quick drink in the bar before retiring. We found all staff went out of their way to help us. .

The room itself was basic but clean. We certainly had everything that we needed for an overnight stay. There was a kettle and tea and coffee available, the bathroom was fully supplied with toiletries and there was the all important hair dryer. There was a TV in the room. If we had been staying for a longer period perhaps the lack of storage space might have been an issue.

The next morning, they had a table laid out with the usual cereals, juices, etc., for guests to help themselves, and we were pleasantly surprised that there was waiter service and we could order virtually any breakfast we required. The food was very good, everything freshly cooked and tasty instead of the usual breakfast buffet arrangement.

The important question - would we stay there again? We certainly would for the following reasons:

1. The room, although dated, was perfectly acceptable for an overnight stay.
2. The cost was much less than The Manor.
3. Breakfast was included.
4. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
5. It is very convenient for the airport.

In view of the cost, quality of food and service we received I consider this hotel to be very good value for money for an overnight stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Best Western Plus Birmingham NEC Meriden Manor Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hockley Heath
Genting Hotel
Genting Hotel
#5 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to The Strawberry Bank Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!