“It'll do for a night”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Meriden
Aarschot, Belgium
“It'll do for a night”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Room was clean, as was the bathroom. Double bed was horror, hard and old. Large parking, not too far from Birmingham. Watch out however, it's 15 minutes (fastest gps route) to NEC, not 5 as is said on site. Wifi not working properly, in the end, it did, but had to try at least 20 times before I got on. (I really needed it, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered). Old ladies at check-in didn't have a clue, night porter very strange guy, not comfortable with him. Nothing seemed to be his fault. Cooked breakfast mediocre, continental part not worth mentioning. Hotel needs to be refurbished and repainted and soon. If it had been 15 punds less, the price would have been fair.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I don't know where to start with the strawberry bank, I've never complained before I've eaten my meal before, but today was a first!! From walking in the main door and being greeted with a lovely smell of urine from the decaying toilets which are the first things you see, to walking through the cramped and dated bar and to finish with the worst attitude I have witnessed from a manager.
There were 6 of us all together celebrating Father's Day.
I ordered a 10oz rib eye steak which was priced at £16.95, with Stilton sauce which was an extra £1.95, well what arrived was a shock, a handful of chips, with a sorry looking steak, half a tomato frozen onion rings and.......nope that was it! The sauce then arrived some 5 minutes later which was clearly heated milk with some Stilton melted in to it. There was a similar looking meal sat in front of my father in law who had ordered the £15.95 combo.
I called for the manager and was told that it came pre cut so that's what you get, when I showed her the sauce she did offer to get me a new one, to late as my steak was already having a warming milk bath. She also pointed out that it was buy one get one free on main meals, so we weren't actually paying the high price that was advertised!
I must say however that my mother in laws salmon salad and my wife's lasagne(when it arrived ten minutes later than the rest of the meals) looked lovely and they assure me tasted good.
We tried to point all this out to the manager at the end,including the positives and was met with responses such as "I can't do anything about it, it's pre packaged" and "were part of a chain so what do you expect"
I've frankly had better tasting and better presented meals at weatherspoons which were a quarter of the price.
Also the website advertises the place as being a family owned and run venue, but clearly this is incorrect from what the manager is saying
I will not be returning and urge any one person thinking of visiting to avoid at all costs and try some of the other fantastic restaurants in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Keil H
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Booked on booking.com for one night. Only fifty pound with breakfast for 1 night double room.
The hotel was fine, only 10 minutes from NEC, comfortable beds, clean and tidy, polite and helpful staff.
Would stay again and recommend for a short stay over in that part of the world.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Blimey this place is so dated, the rooms look like the crossroads motel from back in the day.
The room had rock hard single beds and the smallest TV I have seen in years.
The receptionist informed me that the place has been sold recently and the new owners are planning a refurbishment so all being well it will be a decent hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: If I had paid full price I would have been a lot more upset.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here with another couple over the Crufts weekend, for the second time. As after our last visit we were happy to come back again. Very local for the NEC and at a reasonable price. Yes the rooms and the decor are a little dated but I don't think you should expect these types of places to be redecorated every year and to look like a cosmopolitan hotel!
The breakfast buffet was good, similar to what you would expect from the legendary Hilton Buffet Breakfast. Staff are helpful and friendly and the hotel appears clean and tidy. Plenty of parking and the attached pub/restaurant was also very nice.
I think the expectation should be, that "you get what you pay for" as prices for the top hotels at the NEC were double this price.
Overall it was very good value and certainly suited what we were wanting to achieve for the weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Darren R
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I attended a fund-raising function at the hotel recently and the so
called disabled toilet facility is un-useable by active wheelchair users,
and anyone who requires assistance has absolutely nil chance.
Plus, access to function rooms is by steps not ramps and requires a
strong athletic carer.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hampshire
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed here out of desperation as had to , unexpectedly , do a second day at trade show at NEC with my husband.

The hotel was probably very nice once - the frontage onto the road is not un-attractive .

The room was very tired, with single glazed window and dated bathroom suite. Cleanliness was not an issue as everything was very clean - if not I would have left !!!! However, the bed was appalling. Very obviously old and spent the night clinging on to the edge of the matress as the roll together was hideous . Hence no sleep - also noisy plumbing and very thin walls - shame because the hotel itself is in a quiet location. Staff were very friendly and welcoming - shame about the restaurant !! Vast and deserted with a rather peculiar smell and a plethora of cobwebs and dust on the pelmets - not good. The menu looked good but did not hang around to find out if it tasted the same . Went to the pub over the road for dinner and discovered that the hotel had recently been sold to a local, upmarket hotel. Breakfast was ok but too tired to care. Good luck to the new owners and would stay here again once done up as the location is great and potentially this could be a great hotel set in , once , beautiful grounds. Oh and nearly forgot - the tiny, gereatric TV turned itself off, for no apparent reason , on a regular basis !!!

Room Tip: Wait for a major refurb !!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HNAM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Best Western Plus Birmingham NEC Meriden Manor Hotel
Genting Hotel
Genting Hotel
#5 of 117 in Birmingham
Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa

Been to The Strawberry Bank Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!