“What a huge disappointment.”
Review of Forest Hotel

Forest Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Dorridge
Reviewed 20 August 2013

In the south Solihull area there are many great Gastro pubs that we are spoilt for choice. It is obvious therefore that hotels like The Forest need to be on the top of their game to attract discerning diners. We have heard a number of negative reports locally about the standards of food and three of us decided to book for dinner to at least ascertain whether it would be a venue we would happily bring our partners or other friends to.

Quite frankly it was one of the poorest dining experiences we have had in this area for a very long time and I can say none of us will be coming back for seconds!! The quality ,quantity and value for money left a lot to be desired and unless the owners recognise that they will lose many potential customers.

The staff were pleasant enough but clearly the kitchen and those making the executive dining decisions are being swayed by the fare they are able to serve up to their probably non complaining core wedding business and failing to recognise what a disappointment the restaurant really is to everyday diners.

Room Tip: The ratings shown for sleep quality,rooms swimming pool and fitness centre are not applicable as it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Martin A
Tracy P, Owner at Forest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent dinner here. Unfortunately the generalistic nature of your comments make them hard for me to use constructively.The only point with which I can concur is that there are indeed a lot of gastro pubs south of Solihull which are generally more expensive and certainly less skillfully produced than by our own kitchen team that has been headed by the same chef for 8 years now.

To suggest that our restaurant menu is driven by our "core wedding business" I find difficult to comprehend.The restaurant has always been the raison d'etre of what The Forest stands for, not the other way round.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The Forest Hotel is clearly aiming to do most things very well and on the whole it succeeds. I stayed 2 nights mid-week and the room itself was very good and clean, the staff were friendly and helpful and the location was very convenient. The wifi worked well in the room.
The restaurant did some wonderful lunches and the continental breakfast was plentiful.
The big downside of my stay was the temperature of my room. In the midst of a summer heatwave it was just roasting and made sleeping at night really uncomfortable, even with both windows open and a tiny fan running on full. If there had been an overhead fan or larger desk/floor fan it would probably have been ok. Almost there but not quite a top recommendation.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your mainly very positive comments regarding your recent stay here with us. I am very pleased to hear that you received good service and enjoyed your lunches amongst many things here.

With regard to the heat in you room, can I firstly explain that we were not able to install air con due to the old and varied nature of the building, except for the ground floor restaurant, bar and function rooms which are fully fitted out as such. Mostly we seem manage with the desk fans supplied in the bedrooms but the extreme heat earlier this summer did cause 1 room in particular to be hotter than normal. We shall investigate the option of fitting a ceiling fan to this room for next summer.

Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to The Forest when you are next in the area.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My fiancé took me here recently for a meal and it was perfect! So beautifully decorated with helpful friendly staff and an excellent menu. I ordered the Lamb for a main course and they weren't that small portions I was expecting but nicely sized that left you feeling full. The food was phenomenal and I couldn't fault anything. Well, I didn't like the Stilton soufflé but that was purely down to personal taste and me trying to be to adventurous! I would recommend a visit. They also have a nice outside area. And being so near to dorridge train station you can avoid those expensive taxi fairs.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank NightOwl-272

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent positive dining experience here at The Forest.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your "romantic" meal and hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future, when you can try a different starter!

Best wishes

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed at the Forest Hotel for one night on a business trip since the company I was visiting is nearby. While in general this is not a bad hotel I think the missing bookings has driven this hotel to make some significant cuts with the result that it now feels quite odd.

What I liked
- large rooms
- Nice bathroom
- Good atmosphere
- Fast internet
- Good restaurant next to it
- Just across the railway station
- Dinner at the restaurant was very good

What I did not like
- Service people are hard to find. If you check-in or check out you literally need to hunt somebody down
- Very odd: When I checked out the night shift left the leftovers from a warm dinner the night before standing on the counter. Disgusting. And nobody moved it away during the whole check-out process
- They don't serve hot breakfast before 9am (nine!). Before that you get a limited continental breakfast and a coffee (when you are lucky to hunt somebody down to bring it to you).
- There is a huge step down between the bedroom and the bathroom - not very safe during the night
- Talking about safety: You cannot lock your door from the inside. Yes really. No deadbolt, no keyhole nothing. A little kick from the outside and the door would be open. And that by having no staff at night. I moved my suitcase in front of the door and still felt unsafe.
- The rooms are overlooking the outside area of the bar below the hotel. So before everybody went home (around 1am) don't think about going to bed or having fresh air (the smoke from downstairs goes directly into your room)
- The bed itself is rather old and you feel the thousands of bodies that went through it
- The price - I paid over 100 pounds a night

Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights on first night there was a loud disco/party and beer festival in full swing when we arrived at 11pm! The following night was the same.

When we managed to get someone to come to reception we could not hear them. Consequently did not realise we had only been booked for one night.

We needed an early breakfast but this was not possible before 9.

The rooms are fine but no information or extras. The restaurant looks very nice but we decided to eat elsewhere due to noise.

If you are considering the Forest check what else is on before you commit. It was not mentioned when I rang to book.

• Stayed: June 2013
Tracy P, Owner at Forest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thank you for your comments in respect of your recent stay and I am sorry that you felt that our bi annual local ale festival impaired your experience of The Forest.

We had deliberately placed you in a room away from the party to minimize any disruption and would like to assure you that the restaurant would never be noise affected by other events being held here.

With regard to breakfast, we offer our continental selection from 8am at the weekends, it is only the cooked option that starts at 9am when our chef team start work. I apologize if there was any confusion in this respect but it did not help that our in room information folders were being updated at the time of your stay where this would have been clearly listed.

Once again thank you for your feed back, we will use it to try constructively in the future.

Best regards

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Excellent helpful staff, good restaurant, very comfortable room. Only twenty minutes from Birmingham Airport. We would advise a stay here to go to the airport if you have a car with you.
They geberously gave us a discount because we were leaving too early to have breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Tracy P, Owner at Forest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay . I was particularly pleased to hear your remarks about the staff, which I will share with the team.

We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area

Best regards

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Nice little place. Struggled to get a room elsewhere because events at the NEC but managed to find this place which is a real find. Full of locals having a drink and although I am not from Birmingham I met a couple of old friends who live locally and had a drink at the bar. Food is good and the dessert was excellent. Unusually the young people serving, both at the bar and restaurant were both very good, attentive and friendly. Great little find.

Room Tip: Few rooms so book early
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorridge
Hogarths Hotel
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Oak Hotel
The Oak Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hockley Heath

Been to Forest Hotel? Share your experiences!