“Just misses the mark, could be better”
Review of Drum & Monkey

Drum & Monkey
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Dorridge
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
“Just misses the mark, could be better”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

A very interesting menu for a pub restaurant, with various deals available and even the straightforward a la carte is reasonably priced. However, the French Onion Soup, though it tasted good and came with cheese and generous croutons was not much better than lukewarm. Friday night is grill night - inclusive main course and drink offer. Our lamb steak and sea bass had been seriously over grilled, particularly the lamb which was dried up. The seabass came with a huge amount of crushed new potatoes, with their skins on. A very interesting dessert, apple and fig crumble was supposed to come with lavender creme anglais but this turned out just to be thick custard though it was lavender flavoured. The general impression was that the kitchen was not up to producing the dishes on the menu and would have preferred easier, more basic dishes. We heard another party being told that they could not substitute a different side, of the same price for the one that was shown on the menu to accompany their dish because the chefs would not allow it. So much for going out of your way to give customers what they want. Considering the place did not seem busy, service was quite slow, particularly between the starter and main and also I don't expect waiting staff to smell as if they have just been smoking. In spite of these reservations, we did quite like it and will probably give it another try, though we will also look out for other restaurants in this chain to see if they handle the cooking any better.

• Visited November 2013

West Midlands UK
“Ok food, very poor service”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Went to this restaurant with my sister-in-law and our 2 toddlers (aged 2). My mother-in-law joined us later. We have been in the past frequent patrons of the D+M. But this occasion put me off. Not really the food but the attitude of a member of staff. A lady (if I can call her that) who I think must have been a senior member of staff. She was rude and obnoxious. To cut a long story short I complained about the 45min wait between our starters + mains. The kids food was brought out first. My toddler had a good lasagne. However we asked for the 'free kids veg' that didn't arrive. It arrived with our mains 45 mins later + was kale + 3 whole baby carrots with skin on?! Bathing in a mucky pool of water. All three adults ordered fish + chips. My sis and I off the deal menu. Fish and chips was ok. However I noticed that my MIL's fish and chips was a 'deal' portion and serving rather than the smarter main menu portion which we'd ordered for her. I complained about our mains not arriving and a male waiter scratched his head and said 'fish + chips?' 'Let me check' next thing we knew I saw him go into kitchen and ten mins later our food arrived. I complained to the manager 'lady' as our toddlers had well + truly eaten and had been sitting for 50mins now. She then said our mains were not late and said I'll go check the till and tell you when your order was put in - she then subsequently did not tell the truth and argued the point. I was embarrassed and felt be-littled. I thought we are regular often once a week visitors for the last 5 years. But we will take our custom elsewhere. I can't afford to spend my well-earned money somewhere the management have no respect for their customers.

• Visited October 2013
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Great food, great staff, great value!”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Having not been to the Drum and Monkey for several years, I have just been twice in three days.
First visit was with a walking group of 15 on a Thursday lunchtime. Most of us used the 'two main courses for £9.99' offer. My chicken diane came with a pile of baby new potatoes and peas; it was hot, fresh and very good. The rest of the party had various other main courses from this deal, and everyone else was similarly impressed.
I enjoyed it so much that I returned on the Saturday lunchtime with my wife. When we entered the pub, a young man asked if he could take a drinks order and delivered the drinks to our table (unusual in a pub, but very good). We both had fish, chips and peas (again two for £9.99); they were probably the nicest fish and chips that we have ever had - hot, fresh, non-greasy and very generous portions. Allied with pleasant surroundings and lovely friendly staff, this is a great place to go. We thoroughly recommend it. Well done to the chef, staff and management.

• Visited November 2013
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Disappointing would advise friends and family to avoid”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Family of 4 visited for Sunday dinner. We had a child of 2 but the menu for under 7s only had 3 choices. The meals between us was either over cooked or in the case of the gammon was not cooked through. On complaining the manager did even offer a replacement. We didn't even stay for desert and my advice to anyone thinking of a nice meal out is to go else where to diss appointment and wasting your money

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Smith4577
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Very good food”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Enjoyed a reasonably priced, well cooked meal at the Drum and Monkey while staying nearby. Pub was clean, nicely decorated and well kept, and the staff were very pleasant. What more could you want?

• Visited September 2013