Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Friendly and compitent

Interesting house, moat and rooms. Guides helpful. Gardens and greenhouses were amazing. Would... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
cdmUK
UK
I would love to live here

One of the nicest National Trust houses I have ever seen. Lovely place, wonderfully helpful staff... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
1930jr
Guildford, United Kingdom

1,426 results
All reviews moated manor house national trust vegetable garden second hand bookshop nearby packwood house nt properties walled garden room guides fascinating house interesting history interesting property estate walk timed tickets the kitchen gardens are lovely stately home lovely visit
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

A wonderful moated National Trust house built in the 1500's and adapted in the later 1500's with a number of priest holes. As always with the NT the houses Baddersley Clinton is staffed with wonderfully knowledgeable volunteers always willing to share their knowledge. The grounds outside the moat are a wonderful place for a picnic and to let the grandchildren let off steam. On the day of our visit a tent with a number of games for the children was erected in the grounds which occupied my two young ones for some time. The moat has a fair population of mallards who are friendly enough to eat out of your hand. However beware younger children who hold thier sandwiches to close to the ground are fair game for wondering ducks.
Yet another National Trust site very much worth the visit and the fee for the NT membership.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

Sunday 16th April – Easter Sunday, My husband and I went out for the day to celebrate my friend Susan's 58th Birthday. We all went to visit Baddesley Clinton Moated Manor House at Baddesley in Warwickshire, which is owned by The National Trust.

As the weather forecast said it would rain in the early part of the afternoon, we decided to walk round the gardens first. We walked alongside the side of the moated house down into the ‘Lake Garden’ and wandered over the bridge and around the lake looking at all the early spring flowers, some of the trees had yet to gain their leaves. We then strolled along a path with took us to the ‘Wild Flower Meadow’ and we walked past there into the ‘Vegetable Garden’ to look at the beds.

We then went into at ‘Sundial Garden’, and looked at the ‘The Hot House & Vinery’, which are undergoing restoration. We then went through an iron gate into the ‘Walled Garden’, which had a spectacularly bright and beautiful spring border containing multi-coloured tulips, daffodils and scented narcissi and looked at all the lovely apple trees which were just becoming into flower. We had walked around these lovely gardens for two hours and at this point it started to rain, so we decided to go to visit the moated manor house.

The house and estate at Baddesley is an incredible survival story. It was the home of the same family, the Ferrers, for 500 years. And, despite being short of money, it passed from father to son for 12 generations. During that time the family remained loyal to their Catholic faith through difficult times, often risking their lives giving refuge to Catholic priests.

When the house was first built in the early 1400s, it was surrounded by the Forest of Arden. It got its name from a Saxon, called Baeddi, who first cleared the site in the forest, and the de Clinton family who dug the moat in the 13th century.

In 1438 the site was bought by a lawyer, John Brome, who built some of the house from Arden sandstone quarried on the site. Through his grand-daughter, the house passed to the Ferrers family. It was Edward Ferrers who built much of what we see today, from 1526 onwards.

Henry Ferrers, the Antiquary, who lived at Baddesley from 1564 to 1633, built much of the garden range and the great hall. He also added many of the coats of arms to the house – in carved wood and stained glass.

In 1590, he rented the house to two catholic sisters, and the house then became a hiding place for Jesuit priests. The house has three priest holes within its walls dating back to this date.

But by the end of the 17th century the estate was in decline. It wasn’t until the second half of the 19th century, when Marmion Ferrers was in residence, that its fortunes picked up again. Marmion married Rebecca Orpen in 1867, and two years later they were joined at Baddesley by her aunt, Lady Georgiana Chatterton, and her second husband, Edward Dering.

The four friends became known as the Quartet and they devoted their time to restoring the house and gardens. In 1940 the house was put up for sale, and bought by a distant cousin, Thomas Walker.

Thomas Walker and his wife, Undine, continued the restoration of the house with the intention of passing it onto the National Trust. It was their son, Thomas Ferrers-Walker, who finally raised the funds to do this. The house was opened to the public in April 1982.

My husband, Susan and I took the tour of the house, once again I found its history fascinating and every time I have taken the tour I have learned something new. Susan loved the house especially the story of the re-appearing blood on the floor of the upstairs solar!! No-one has ever managed to clean it up – it keeps coming back due to ghostly murder.

Afterwards, we were in need of refreshment, so we went for a snack at ‘The Courtyard Cafe’, My husband had a large mug of tea and a slice of carrot cake, which he said was delicious. I had a cream tea with coffee; the scone I had was huge and was very nice with strawberry jam and clotted cream. Susan had a cheese and pickle sandwich, a bag of crisps and a cookie. We spent an hour here before we went for to look round the gift shop and second-hand bookshop.

We mooched round the second-hand bookshop, and My husband purchased a Wilbur Smith book for his dad and I purchased an Anne Rice Book, another in her vampire chronicles series, which I am collecting. We then went to look round the gift shop, where Susan purchased some postcards. We left here when the house closed at 5.00pm and went to collect our car from the car park.

All in all we had a wonderful day at this pre-booked ticket event.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

We decided to go and have a look around here after we had joined the National Trust. What a wonderful place. Staff are so friendly and helpful and know their stuff about Baddesley Clinton. Beautiful grounds to walk around. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

This was our second visit, which says it all really. Lovely way to spend a few leisurely hours. I cannot say it was the highlight of the day for our teenage children, but with the on-site activities I would imagine it fun for younger children. I have to say my father in-law enjoyed the visit. I would recommend checking the weather forecast before planning a visit as the grounds are as adorable as the historical house itself​.
As with most N/T sites the staff are wonderfully pleasant, knowledgeable and happy to answer questions. Can get busy and pre-booking is advised on bank holidays. There is an intriguing second hand bookshop as well as a selection of beautiful plants and garden decorations on sale.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

We were staying locally in Hockley Heath Premier Inn as a base for Cadbury World, but we always look for National Trust properties to visit if we're in a new area. Having two so close together (this and Packwood House) was brilliant.

It's always good when the Property has a tour or Hunt for the children to do. It means you can actually walk round the House with small children, they're interested and you get to see something cultural! Baddesley has a Kings and Queens hunt for smaller children and a herb hunting (and smelling) wordsearch for the slightly older ones.

We had a picnic here and there are various outdoor games that the children (and grown ups!) can play. I would say that Baddesley Clinton has something intangible that Packwood lacks and if I had to pick one over the other then I'd go for Baddesley.

Would definitely come back when the children are older and walk from one House to the other.