“Always feel welcome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Clare
Price range: US$10 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Cafe Clare resides in a beautiful 14th century building. We serve freshly made food to reflect the changing seasons. Our cakes and scones are prepared and baked daily on the premises. We are open seven days a week with a 10 a.m. opening on Monday and 8.30 a.m opening Tuesday to Sunday inclusive. There is a flexible closing time, usually about 5 p.m. which is subject to weather.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Always feel welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed superb tea and cheese scones yesterday. Cheese scones were the best we've ever tasted, so light and soft, nicely warm and large enough for a light lunch. Thoroughly enjoyed the window seat upstairs and service very good, very personal. We have made several visits to this cafe and also very much enjoyed the home made soup, especially the butternut! And lovely omelettes. Will continue to visit and happy to recommend - staff very attentive.

Visited February 2014

Bury st edmunds
“Rude, overpriced and don't take criticism well.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We have used this cafe on numerous occasions over the past 5 years whilst commuting from our premises. In the beginning, like one previous reviewer, the service was good, friendly staff, loose teas, good and reasonably priced food. In the last 18 months the service is somewhat impersonal and slow. The staffs attitude is to talk to each other rather than to pay attention to their customers. Today, Friday 24 January we called in at approx 1.15pm for lunch. We ordered tea for 2 which came promptly and both my husband I ordered the quiche, 1 Lorraine and 1 leek and cheddar. After a 25 minute wait the food arrived and to my husbands disgust it looked more like a bacon tart with a sprinkling of melted cheese on top. He got the waiters attention and complained that it didn't resemble a quiche as one would expect. Instead of apologising he retorted telling him what the ingredients were. We left only paying for our tea, which is overpriced and would of expected as recompense a reduction in the price of the tea as a gesture of goodwill. We got into our car and the owner of the cafe walked past, my husband confronted him about the food and he was extremely rude, arrogant and opinionated, again unexpected and certainly not conducive to servicing with the public. Consequently, we went to the co-op to get our lunch only to find a member of staff buying goods.

Definitely will not be visiting again and will be going to the No. 1 delicatessen in the same village but with a completely different attitude, service, products and food. We would recommend that anyone who reads this visits the No. 1 deli instead.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Paul E
cafeclare_12, Owner at Cafe Clare, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
I was expecting this after your visit yesterday and I am not going into a long reply as this was discussed with you yesterday. When the staff were trying to lay up the table the newspapers were spread all over and no effort was made on your part to move them, which you eventually did but she had to put the cutlery on top of the papers. As my husband was walking to his car you rudely opened your car door and asked if he was the manager of 'that place up there'. You stated that you make quiche Lorraine and you know what it should be like - yes and we make it as well. Two cooks work will never look the same. There was a lady eating the same quiche as yourselves at the same time and when she left she said what a delicious quiche. The member of staff buying goods at the co-op was purchasing soya milk, which we don't stock, for a customer who required it. This is part of the personal service we offer our customers. You purchased a branded quiche from the co-op and rudely gave it to the member of staff, if this is the standard of quiche you like then I can understand why you didn't like ours. The kitchen does get busy and as all food is freshly prepared there is sometimes a wait and as soon as the food is ready the staff take it to your table. The waiting staff may talk to each other but only when all the drinks are served and tables are laid up. We are disappointed you didn't enjoy your experience at our café but we know that we can't please all the people all the time.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A true Suffolk experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I frequently commute at weekends from Essex to Suffolk for work and have often made a point of stopping at Café Clare as my cafe of choice. Depending on my schedule it will often be a breakfast or lunch and I have always been impressed at how my meal is often tailored at no extra charge or with no extra fuss to my own individual whim. It is nice to eat in a pleasant environment when there's the added flexibility to the menu that caters for individual preferences. The prices are competitive and reflect the individual attention every meal gets in its preparation and completion. There is variety over time and periodic additions to the menu that pleasantly surprise. This is a template I feel for a good restaurant boasting a real Suffolk feel. Bravo!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Victor A
“Superb service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I visited cafe Clare on Boxing Day this year. The food was delicious and piping hot and the service was absolutely lovely. The atmosphere was homely and the staff were very friendly I highly recommend a visit to this old-fashioned style cafe

• Visited December 2013
london, uk
“overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Went to the café, after a walk in the pleasant village of Clare. The Staff very pleasant,but seemed since change of ownership in the last couple of years, to lost it`s bohemian feel.The place hadn`t changed, except for an enlargement upstairs , but the atmosphere was it seemed to me,diluted, form the feel on previous visits.The soup we had was ok, the bread average at best. The price seemed very high, but the soup was was hot.I used to be a couple of years ago a frequent visitor, but now I will give a miss, although again the staff were good.

• Visited November 2013