“Alright.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nieul
Essex
“Alright.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Good food in a very nicely decorated restaurant. Rooms were a little old fashioned, staff weren't as attentive as they could have been.. Apart from the head waiter who was fantastic. Don't arrive hungry as the kitchen is shut during the day. I did however get 2 small plates of cheese and a glass of wine for fifty euros after much persuasion. The lady on the front desk could also do with purchasing some deodorant. Overpriced and underwhelming.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This must be about our 10th trip to this hotel and the chef de cusine just keep getting better .Last night we had a brand new menu , oysters with apple and foie gras with seps mushrooms.......all fantastic .Gilles the owner is a really class act and the staff Dominec,Amanada and the team are all very well trained and exceptionally friendly.Cant wait to come back

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darren R
Atenas
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a minor 19th century chateau that is somewhat rundown (e.g. holes in the fabric on the walls, the dock on the little lake completely water-logged) with many nice touches (beautiful chandeliers and interesting art) and some real oddities (tacky carpets, staff who knows nothing about the place). The best thing about it was the food - pricey but really excellent. We strolled around the extensive grounds the evening we arrived and they are lovely - but the hotel and the staff definitely aren't Relais et Chateaux quality.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alisontinsley48
Knokke-Heist, Belgium
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We've spent one night travelling through France .Room on the second floor was expensive for what it was ..No elevator ,no problem because the house is old and has it charm .But finding hair in the bedlinnen is not so nice .
Dinner was really very good ,although expensive for French standards.Everything very fresh and prepared with creativity .

Breakfast on the other hand was 17 euro per person ,and that was not worth it at all . If you pay 32 euro as a couple one would think to be getting a royal breakfast .No such thing ..My husband asked for some fresh fruit and got a plate with an apple an orange ,a few raspberry's and a whole pommagranit .How can one eat that last fruit without getting it all over the place if it is not cleaned in the kitchen .An egg was extra 4 euro .Juice was not fresh ,one tiny croissant and one tiny chocolate pain for two .
Staff was very friendly and helpfull ,but the breakfast price will stop us from going there again .

1 Thank Lionel_11
farnham
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have just read the unfortunate coeliac sufferer's review of La Chappelle Saint Martin and wish we had seen it before we stayed there last week. My wife's experience - as a coeliac for over 30 years - was almost identical save, fortunately, for the awful effects of unexpected contamination. She had checked with the hotel upon booking that they understood gluten free food need. Yes, no problem, she was assured. And, yes, when we sat down for dinner on our first night there the maitre immediately mentioned the sans gluten need, which won them a star in our instant reaction. Gluten free bread appeared. This was good, well done. But then came an amuse bouche looking suspiciously flour-inclusive. That was returned untouched with thanks. Then something green was offered, apparently a second amuse bouche? We tried it, hmmm, wife unsure and growing suspicious. The haricots verts salad then followed, oops that made us question the forerunner. Confused glances amongst the staff, some accusatory...we sensed a
screw-up had just occurred. But nothing was said. Perhaps our stay in August immediately followed the fellow coeliac's disaster previously described here? However, after this poor start the main course - VERY significantly comprising instantly recognisable ingredients - was close to a triumph - most palatable, beautifully cooked and charmingly presented. In other respects the hotel staff were absolutely charming and really tried very hard to help, except when we returned mid-afternoon on a Saturday having had nothing since breakfast and asked if room service could perhaps provide a snack? The response was a hunted expression and news that the kitchen closes on that afternoon. NOT four-star service then? The nearby supermarket in Nieul came to our rescue with bananas, crisps (gluten free) and a BLT sandwich for monsieur. Car parking beside the adjacent main road junction OUTSIDE the hotel's walled grounds gives little confidence and is hardly four-star. Decor is modern weird, maroon and roal blue, black and olive or grey, Russian kitsch glitzy beading on dark chairs, and the breakfast room - for example - is gloomy in the extreme, black and grey with 3/4 drawn curtains admitting little natural light. Large grounds look attractive at first sight, but a walk round reveals little care and two very neglected looking muddy-watered ponds. They try hard, and for many might succeed, but we left feeling disappointed, and as is often the case with relais chateaux, in receipt of precious little value for a bruisingly expensive bill. Why do we do it? Because one day, some day, we might hit gold... But not yet...sadly.

Room Tip: Don't go for suite with garden terrace, they are boxes in an extension with shutterd French wind...
Milano, Italia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Preliminarily some notes which may be of interest for everyone:
the décor is very old - not old-fashioned.
Room: the bathroom has an hold wall hairdryer, the bed is the kind where you jump when your companion moves, the bathroom window curtain is missing, the wall has the signs from a previous bedshape. The décor in general is lacking, however the park is beautiful and the pool relaxing.
The dinner was uneven. Very good lobster carpaccio and wonderful cheese platter. Everything else was forgettable - was was unforgettable is my appalling experience as a coeliac (suffering from gluten intolerance).
My husband and I spent 2 weeks on holidays around France. I suffer from coeliac disease, therefore we booked our hotels and restaurants in advance and informed them of my dietary requirements with lots of notice - and in French, of course, as we're both fluent speakers.
In two weeks, I only had two bad experiences, and this place was by far the worst.
We reminded this requirement upon check-in and we received a dismissive no problem answer.
This is the full account of that night, for those who are interested:
Aperitif: we are served some "amuse-bouche". As they look pretty "gluten" we ask if they are gluten-free. We receive a puzzled stare back from the waiter, who then rushes back to the kitchen.
He comes back to take the platter away. However, my husband is not coeliac - only I am!
When we explain this, we receive another puzzled stare.
I might be wrong, but it seems like they think "gluten free" is some fashionable diet, rather than health requirement
I inform the maitre that I suffer from a genetic disease and I receive back a lecture on the potential dangers of excessive dieting...
Moments after, the waiter comes back with two big platters with prosciutto and a terrine with truffles.
I acknowledge that was a nice gesture to compensate the fact that I had not received any amuse-bouche.
The waiter realizes it's quite difficult to eat this food without bread, so hurries back to the kitchen and comes back with bread. As I am opening my mouth to ask if the bread is gluten free, the waiter suddenly realizes what he's doing, leaves the bread in front of my husband and hurries back again into the kitchen to hunt some gluten-free bread.
By the time he is back with the gluten free bread, we have finished our champagne and we would want to flee the place as it's apparent they don't have a clue about gluten-free. Needless to say, we're in the middle of nowhere and it's too late to go to Limoges.
As we move to the dining room, a waitress serves me normal bread. As I ask, puzzled look, then the waitress comes back with the gluten free bread happily sitting in the same basket with the normal bread. My bread dish still has crumbs from the previous attempt to serve normal bread, I have to expressly ask for it to be removed.
Never heard of cross-contamination (contamination croisée ... these words exist in French, too!)
We had to ask for every single dish if it was gluten-free, and there were many sauces so it was not possible to tell it from the appearance. At some point, a pidgeon lands in front of me accompanied by a puff pastry on one side, blatantly "gluten". I ask - and the plate is replaced.
I end my dinner wondering what I had in the other dishes, where I was assured they where gluten-free (starch? glucose from wheat? breadcrumbs? amidon modifié?)
Needless to say, I was very sick all night long.
When I informed the reception the following day, they said they were "surprised", remarking they had procured the gluten-free bread! As if this is all you have to do when you have coeliac guests.
The champagne, mineral water and wine we ordered with our meal were offered by the hotel, I assume as a commercial gesture after all that happened.

4 Thank Gatt0ner0
London
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We arrived early for an overnight stay and were told that our room was ready. The check in staff were wonderful and suggested that they could supply a light lunch in our room. The table was set on the terrace outside our room, overlooking the grounds and we had a wonderful, but simple meal with cured ham, melon and thick slices of smoked salmon - it was divine! The room was spacious and Wi-Fi and other amenities were first class. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the toilet paper is worthy of a mention in its own right! The grounds of the hotel were lovely, and we seemed to have the place to ourselves for the afternoon. Dinner was delicious with attentive service and breakfast was a treat. Thank you to the English waitress for her attentive service. Overall, we felt really special staying at this hotel. Thank you to the staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nieul
Novotel Limoges Le Lac
Citotel Les Alizes
#23 of 44 in Limoges
Mercure Limoges Royal Limousin Hotel
Hostellerie La Bergerie des Chapelles
Hostellerie La Bergerie des Chap...
#1 of 1 in Oradour-sur-Vayres

Been to Hotel La Chapelle St-Martin? Share your experiences!