“Bargain stay, good for a stop-over probably not a holiday...”

Himley Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Himley
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Bargain stay, good for a stop-over probably not a holiday...”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at the himley hotel recently on a Saturday night as we were travelling to the area to attend a christening on the Sunday. Good location, 5-10 minute drive from the M6 in a secluded spot. We arrived late in the evening around 10.30pm(following a long motorway delay) but a gentleman on reception was awaiting us. Friendly & pleasant check in and we were offered a half price breakfast which we declined (tea/coffee provided in the room anyway) & directed to our room. I'd requested a twin room in quiet location, both of which were granted; allocated a room towards the back of the hotel on the ground floor. I've never slept so soundly in a hotel of this size! The room was spacious, adequately clean (we did find 2 woodlouse in the bathroom but we think they had crept in with the weather being so hot outside!) with a large tv, wardrobe and a large bathroom with a shower over the bath. The shower was warm but not very powerful & the toilet water tank was noisy when flushed, but this the only negative. The room a little dated but the beds were comfortable (we took our own pillows which I was grateful for; the ones provided looked flat!) I paid £20 for a night here which quite frankly was a bargain! Cheaper than a traveldoge and actually (although unexpectedly) better quality! I wouldn't personally choose to stay here for anything other than a stop-over; for which it was very convienient.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Patch90

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stop-over with us. Where possible we always try to honour requests and I am delighted that we were able to provide the quiet twin room you had asked for. It is also great to hear that your welcome was friendly and pleasant as first impressions count and we pride ourselves on our customer service.

I do hope you will choose the Himley Country Hotel when you are next in the area.

Matt Pullen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

3 Star Hotel - Average across the board.
Staff are friendly and reasonably attentive.
Bar prices less reasonable than expected.
Room pretty average, nothing worth writing home about. Additional bed for my son was a bit pathetic - it even sank when he slept on it and he's 8!!
Breakfast, again, average. Steered clear of the greasy eggs and sausages.
Would I return again? At a push. It's a tired looking hotel - could so with a bit of attention around the communal areas.
As a hotel it's not bad but it's not amazing either. I think - meh! Sums it up!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear JuLou23

Thank you for your review. We offer value for money accommodation at three star level. We pride ourselves on our customer service so are pleased you found the staff to be friendly. I am sorry to hear that the bed your son had was not adequate, we have now looked at all of our 'z' beds to ensure they are of a good standard. We do hope you visit the hotel again and if your son is joining you, please ask for a single bed to be put into the room as we also have these available if you feel the 'z' bed is not suitable.

Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Booked a three night stay from 28th June to 1st July. First impressions as we arrived were "oh my god!" The place was very grim and dated. Receptionist was friendly, however, when we got to the room it was dusty, dirty and dated. The double bed was actually a small double and the mattress was lumpy, with very cheap foam pillows, I would not have called it pillow. When taking a shower the shower head shot off and hit my husband in the back of the head. It had actually been attached with electrical tape. We tried to fix it but were unable to. After having it fall off and hit my husband several times, we gave up and walked over to talk to reception about it. The response was "we are full at the moment but can move you to a different room on Sunday afternoon." She said if they could get a hold of a maintenance bloke she would, but no one came and fixed it during our 3 night stay. We were there for a wedding and had no shower with which to clean up and get ready. The cooked breakfast was adequate at best. The sausages, if you can even call them that, lacked meat of any kind. The buffet ran out of hot food so we had to wait for more to be cooked. There is only one toaster for all patrons, and it only toasted one side, so each piece had to be put through twice, hence a long line developed. A main reason for booking this hotel was that it was a Best Western, so a certain standard was expected. Between booking the hotel and our arrival Best Western dropped them, yet we were not informed of this. There is NO way this place can be called a 3 star hotel!

Room Tip: DO NOT ever book this hotel!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TwinCaz
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Twincaz

I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations on your recent visit. We decided to withdraw from Best Western in March this year but our hotel rating remains at three stars.

The shower has now been fully replaced and I am sorry that we could not move your room during your stay as we were fully booked that weekend.

Our breakfast, although buffet style is cooked as freshly as possible so your wait for food would mean it had not been sitting around all morning. Our sausages are supplied by our butcher and I can confirm they are pork sausages.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to show you that we can provide a three star hotel service to our guests.

Matt Pullen

Travellers are raving about these Himley hotels

Sidmouth, England
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We were staying for an all-day conference with dinner in the evening. The conference facilities were good except that the roof window blinds let in too much light. So the slides were not as visible as they could have been. One of the blinds was broken and couldn't be closed. The buffet lunch and the dinner for the conference were very good, but we had booked an extra two nights and otherwise the food was pretty basic.
Our room was quite spacious but the fitting-out was very ordinary. The shower (no bath) was in need of attention. Turning it off needed several attempts.
The service was mixed. Some well-trained staff who worked very hard, but others left much to be desired.
It was very good value, nevertheless. But we'd rather pay more for something better.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sidcol

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found our conference facilities and meals to be very good. We have now resloved the problem with the blind in the conference room so all are in fully working order. The showers are part of our on-going maintenance programme in the bedrooms so will get the attention you have suggested.

I hope you will visit the hotel again in the future

Peak District
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We also attended the Paperweight conference in June but fortunately had fewer problems than a previous reviewer. The hotel is in a quiet, semi-rural location with a large car park on two sides. Our room was on the ground floor and quite small (our fault for booking late!) but well appointed other than a bedside lamp which didn't work. The real downside of the rooms is that the bathroom fans sound like Vulcan bombers taking off and can be heard from room to room - bad enough in the day but a real nuisance in the night. The conference venue was well organised and the staff very helpful in terms of bringing more chairs, etc and the buffet lunch was excellent and far more comprehensive than we might have expected. The evening meal was good if not exciting and breakfast was very good. I will say, however, that the coffee was appalling at every turn! I'm not a fan of strong coffee but something apparently made with one grain of coffee to several gallons of water is also unacceptable. The staff were excellent other than a largely absent (and rather brusque) barman on the Saturday night but, to be fair, we had seen him throughout the day doing a number of jobs - is this another hotel which is badly understaffed? When will hotel owners learn that the only way to give really good customer service is to have a really full complement of staff? In essence, as a venue for a conference, the hotel was more than adequate but the smaller bedrooms would be restricting if the stay were for more than one night or you had to spend any time in them. Size can be important!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Tigerseye45

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found the conference well organised and the staff helpful. We take on board your other comments and will use them in our staff training.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again

Dereham, Norfolk
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We were part of a large group booked into this hotel for our Paperweight conference weekend 13th - b15th June 2013.
Our room was 2011 which was a double, after reading the reviews on trip advisor I decided to ask for an upgrade on arrival, however I was told there were no upgrades available but was assured by the manager that the room we had was the largest double also a very quiet room.
I also asked if I could borrow an iron and ironing board whilst I was checking in.(they arrived at the room before I did, what good service is that!).
There is no lift in the hotel but quite a lot of stairs, our room was on the 1st floor.
First impression of the room not bad for a three star, however the bathroom was not so good.
I went into the bathroom to get ready for evening dinner, as I went to pull the shower curtain across the whole rail fell down and landed on my arm. At first I thought it was broken as my fingers started to swell and it was very painful. I went down to reception and the assistant manageress filled out an accident report. Fortunately it wasn't broken just badly bruised.
A maintenance man came to repair the shower.(he was also the barman etc), he climbed on the bath extended the poles and put the rail back up, I asked him if it was safe, he replied that this was always happening.
Dinner was at 7pm, it took ages nearly 31/2 hrs as the hotel restaurant was very overbooked, the assistant manageress told us the kitchen couldn't cope.
We had two lights on our headboard, only one worked, we were told the fittings were broken and it couldn't be mended, we was offered a lamp.
We had instructions for setting the alarm clock, shame we didn't have a clock!!!
As for our room being a quiet room, forget it all the water pipes and tanks are above and make a hell of a noise all day and night! Also really uncomfortable lumpy mattress and poor quality pillows.
The shower rail fell down again, it couldn't be fixed so the assistant manageress told us just to use the shower with a curtain and use towels to mop up the floor.
During the afternoon I went back to our room to get something and discovered our door had been left on the catch by the maintenance man, so anyone could have just walked in, luckily they didn't.
As the bar was closing at 10.40pm we tried to get another drink, we were told they couldn't except cash after 10.30pm. When questioned about this we were told the drinks could only be charged to our room with a registered card in case we decided to do a runner.
After breakfast we asked to leave the dining room and take our coffee into the bar to drink because they wanted our table.
Our paperweight club had booked several rooms and nearly all had to complain about their showers and bathrooms, one elderly 86year old had the complete shower head fall on her, another had to fill a bin to flush their toilet.
I will say the breakfasts were good, also the set meals for the 76 people who sat down to our club meal on the Saturday evening was good.
The staff are very good, and work hard, the assistant manageress dealt with our complaint and many others very professionally she couldn't have done any more to resolve the problems.
The whole hotel is in need of a complete refurbishment and he HEALTH & SAFETY of the hotels needs to be addressed before someone is seriously hurt.
Hopefully the company or person who owns the hotel will address he problems because at the moment it is nowhere near a 3 star!!!

Room Tip: Our friends had a suite which looked really nice, I can't vouch for the functional parts i.e sho...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dereham_NorfolkSue
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for pointing out the positives of your stay, it is always nice to hear that the staff have done everything they can.
I can only apologise for the experience you shared with us, I am aware of the required upgrade needed in the bathrooms and we are working hard to get this resolved. I have spoken to our maintenance team and gone through our procedure when in a guests bedroom while you are still staying with us. The door should not have been left on the latch and I am confident this will not happen again to any future guests.
I hope you were not hurt too badly from your incident with the shower rail and you have now recovered. We have gone round and secured all of the shower rails to the walls where we felt the suction was failing.
It is company policy that guests who have not given a pre-authorisation of a credit or debit card cannot get drinks from the bar on to their room bill, however I do acknowledge that the till was cashed up before time and I can sympathise with your frustration.
We were advised by the organizer that there would be 10 people dining from your group on Friday, this was changed to 20 on arrival, which we could cater for comfortably, however, in reality the 20 people turned into 60 people which I would like to think any restaurant would have struggled with this un-announced tripling of the covers expected. I understand that the restaurant staff were advising people that there would be a wait due to the volume in the restaurant and I understand that the guests accepted that. As the majority of food is cooked fresh and the grills are of a certain size, to ensure that the food quality and food safety is upheld, time was taken.
I would like to invite you back to the hotel for a complimentary two night stay so you can experience the hotel as we know it can be. Please contact me directly to book this and if an upgrade is available I will ensure this is allocated to you.

Hove
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Like a previous poster we booked on a KGB deal and Head Office had not informed the hotel to expect us. Due to this, and them not having any family rooms available, we were given a standard double room. This was far too small and really needed some updating and decorating.

We would question how fresh / homemade any of the food is and wonder how many microwaves are in the kitchen.

There seem to be a lot of positive reviews on here, so it's a real shame we didn't get one of the rooms that these people have had. There was also a wedding one of the night's we were staying and they weren't particularly considerate to the other guests.

One a very positive note, the staff members are a credit to the hotel. Every single one. Polite and helpful.

Room Tip: There is no lift, ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear Richard

Thank you for your comments. It is great to hear that you felt the staff are a credit to the hotel as we pride ourselves on our customer service You are correct in what you say regarding the decor of the hotel, it is something we are working on week in, week out to improve and update all of our bedrooms.

We buy the majority of our menu in fresh, however with some of the menu items microwaves are used.

Matt Pullen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Himley
Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
#8 of 20 in Wolverhampton
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley

Been to Himley Country Hotel? Share your experiences!