“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Himley
Birmingham
“Afternoon Tea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We visited Himley Country Hotel for an afternoon tea today, using a voucher I purchased on Living Social. I realise you get what you pay for but I have paid a similar price for afternoon tea in other venues and have experienced a lot higher quality. After reading on Living Social that the waiting staff deliver homemade cake to your table, I was expecting a generous helping of delicious freshly baked cake. However the cake we did receive was rather small slithers of what looked to be shop brought cake - some of it a little on the dry side. The sandwiches were OK...not very adventurous - ham, cheese, tuna and egg, and the bread and cheese were also a little on the dry side. We were not offered a selection of teas or different options of coffee - simply tea or coffee and the tea was very weak and not a very appetising colour. Staff were friendly and helpful but having worked in hotels for several years myself, I would not say they offered a highly professional service or appearance in terms of uniform. The venue itself is very tired, shabby and outdated. The hotel would benefit from some cost effective modernisation and could perhaps adapt their food and beverage services and options based on all the negative feedback they have clearly received. Sadly I would not return or recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Dudley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

What can I say other than to echo the other reviewers on here. We purchased the so called half price offer at the same time as my mother in law purchased two vouchers as gifts for friends. She was highly embarrassed to be informed by her friends when asking for honest opinions that it was very poor. To sum it up; shabby hotel. Shabby furniture in conservatory over looking the dingy car park. Cheap nasty "smart price value" sandwiches, slab cake and as for the scones well even my husband couldn't eat them and he usually is a human dustbin. I mean how much does it cost to make homemade cake and scones?
Half price should mean same quality better value but if this is the usual quality of the catering at this hotel I pity the poor guests. I can't believe they dish out this rubbish selling it as if it was fine dining. We left after 20 minutes. Save your money it would be better spent at ashwoods where the cakes food service and surroundings are superb.
This many bad reviews management isn't it about time you take note?

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Thegoodlifecouple

Travellers are raving about these Himley hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked afternoon tea yesterday as a treat for my friend's birthday but I was really disappointed. Having been to The Moat House in Acton Trussel which was fantastic , this did not meet expectations and I felt I needed to apologise to my friend. The bread was dry and the cakes were very ordinary slices of slab cake from a supermarket. I was expecting little sandwiches and homemade cakes and scones so I will not be coming back and will not be recommending it to anyone. I suggest management get this sorted as soon as possible. Too many bad reviews now surely? Bluegirl

1 Thank GBStanley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just been for afternoon tea , what a disappointment sandwiches were not fresh bread was hard , cake was brought in slab cake which was cut so thin you could not pick it up , scones brought in were hard asked for fresh ones they came just the same , if you are going to do afternoon tea please do it right it means china tea cups not breakfast cups , would not recomend it

1 Thank marl301
Willenhall, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

My sister bought me an afternoon tea for two voucher for my birthday which I used last Saturday. My husband & I were really looking forward to it and as I have had afternoon tea in other establishments I had high hopes!! We were seated in the conservatory which overlooks the car park, the tea, sandwiches & cakes were brought out and what a disappointment! Some of the sandwiches were hard, we had three very small slithers of cake & a scone each with jam & cream. There was barely enough cream for the two of us & the cake didn't taste homemade which I was expecting. The waiter visited every table several times during the 45 minutes we were there and avoided our table every single time!!! Is this because we had a half price voucher I wonder?? The teapot was also very small & there wasn't enough tea for us to have even a couple of cups each!! Not once were we asked if everything was ok & if we would like more tea. It took us 40 minutes to get to the hotel & I was expecting to be there for at least an hour to an hour and a half but we were in and out in approx 45 minutes & walked out in disgust. We were both incredibly disappointed with the overall experience and couldn't help wondering if it was because of the half price voucher because we certainly didn't get the service the other tables received!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Louise W
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I brought my mum here for afternoon tea as a treat for mothers day, with a voucher from Living Social. The hotel itself is quite tired looking, as well as the wicker chairs in the conservatory which aren't the most comfortable.

The staff were very friendly. However, although we were served our drinks quite promptly, we had quite a wait for our food. Several other parties came in after us and were brought their food before us. It was clear that we had been forgotten. I eventually managed to get the attention of our waiter and he brought the food out shortly following this.

Other reviews on here have made comments about dry and stale sandwiches. This was certainly not the case when we visited. The sandwiches were fresh and we had a selection of egg mayonnaise, tuna mayonnaise, ham and cheese. We were both more than happy with this selection. The cakes didn't appear to be home made, but they were all very tasty- and certainly not dry! The only slight criticism I would make was that the food was on a very wobbly cake stand which was threatening to topple over at any moment!

Overall I was pleased with the experience. This wasn't as good as other afternoon teas that I have had, however at £12 for two of us it was certainly a lot cheaper and so I would say it was good value for money.

3 Thank Kate H
southport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Peaceful location and lovely views of the countryside.Hotel a little dated but room was clean and adequate for a one night stop-over.Tea making provisions were sparse and had to ask for more at Reception.The bathroom did need upgrading and the cold tap for the bath didn't work so had to cool bath water down using the cold water from the sink in a kettle.Did not have a meal at the hotel In the morning went to the Dudley Arms 50 yds down the road for excellent buffet breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cazSouthport
himley, Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your review, I hope you will consider the hotel when you are next in the area.

Kind Regards

Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Himley
Himley House Hotel
Barons Court Hotel
Barons Court Hotel
#3 of 20 in Wolverhampton
The Quality Hotel Dudley

Been to Himley Country Hotel? Share your experiences!