“Friendly Staff, Clean but Terrible Showers”

Himley Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Himley
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly Staff, Clean but Terrible Showers”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights as a short getaway, we went to West Midlands Safari Park which was about 30mins away, Twycross Zoo about 45mins and Birmingham City Centre around 45mins. So the location of the hotel was good for us with quick connections to the main roads and motorways. Our first room the shower had a constant drip and even with the ensuite door closed it could still clearly be heard and prevented my other half from a decent nights sleep - we had been walking around Birmingham City Centre all day so arrived late and didn't complain that night. The shower was also hard to actually get to turn on and then when it did the control for temperature and pressure was total pot luck. The actual dial came off in my hand when trying to turn off and after some time playing around with it actually managed to turn it off. When we complained we were moved to another room but the shower problems were similar (no drip though) however we couldn't get the shower to turn off and nor could staff so it was left on until we checked out the same morning.

There were extra pillows in the cupboard but even with 2 each were still relatively flat. The beds were reasonably comfortable but I'm now more used to sleeping on memory foam so I'm not a fan of springs which these were.

The rooms were a good size as were the corridors if you had a buggy or suitcases.

Breakfast buffet was nice and even though we were late one morning (due to above problems) we were still able to eat.

It was cheap at around £30 a night. TV's were a good size, a decent amount of channels and good reception. If they fixed the showers I would probably stay again but as is I wouldn't.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a decent SHOWER
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
himley, Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your comments, I am pleased you were happy with your stay.Our maintenance team is constantly improving and updating the showers and we will continue this process.

KInd Regards

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I think its important to be fair when reviewing a stay and I have to say first off that we paid £35 a night - room only - for 3 nights. Not huge money, but it still didn't quite reach the standard what I expected.
First off, the car park into the Hotel is covered in pot holes - not a huge problem - but first impressions are everything. Why not send someone out with a wheel barrow of rubble and they could sort it in an hour?
On arrival, the receptionist wasn't exactly beaming with chattiness or helpful information - but she checked us in swiftly and we were shortly in our room.
The room is a good size - wardrobe space for hanging, dressing table, couple of chairs etc - all fine. The bed was comfy too - shame they could only allow us one pillow each though! The bathroom was a decent size but it was rather spoilt by two things: 1) the open drain in the middle which started to really smell and 2) the shower which had the possibility of being very dangerous. It ran water which was far too hot then it wouldn't allow us to change the temperature and at one point wouldn't switch off either. We did report this to reception and presumably someone fiddled with it as it worked ok the next day. Seemingly showers were a problem across the hotel, judging by another conversation we heard with reception.
What bugged me about the room was the fact that it didn't feel squeaky clean. On the first night I'd grazed my ankle which unfortunately bled onto the douvet cover. It was only a small stain and yes, it was my own bloody, but it was never changed for the 2nd or 3rd night of our stay. I'm sure it would only have been a 2 minute job - I was very surprised a maid could make the bed and not change it - it was in a very noticeable position. Secondly, there were two plastic cups in the bathroom. Clearly, when these have been used, they are then just rinsed out by the maid and shoved back in a plastic bag to make it look as though they're new. We knew this as the cup was still wet inside when we opened the 'new' bag. If you can't shove a new plastic cup in a room then what other corners will you cut?
We had breakfast the first day (extra £5 each) not something we wanted to endure the next two days. It smacked of cheapness - value sausages, wafer thin bread, the jar of jam even said tesco value jam on it - ?? The general impression is that everything is done 'on the cheap' and yes, £35 is a fairly cheap rate - but if a bit more effort was put in, the outcome would be a lot better. I wouldn't stay here again, there was nothing about this hotel which could draw me back. I suggest the Management take customer views on board and make the necessary changes to avoid further reviews. As I said, I am always fair, but this hotel fell below my expectations.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KittyandWol

I would like to comment on a few points that you made: There are always spare pillows in the wardrobe and if for any reason you require any more reception are available 24 hours a day and would be happy to bring some to you; The cups in the bathroom come to us sealed and we are unable to seal them on site so they are always fresh for each new guest, I am sorry if you felt they had been used as they appeared to be wet, again, fresh cups could have been requested from reception. I am sorry that your duvet was not changed when it had been stained, I have spoken to housekeeping to ensure duvets are changed if they are obviously stained. I am surprised you felt breakfast was 'cheap' as we usually have very positive comments about our breakfast. Due to a supplier issue we had to purchase some jam from a supermarket to ensure we could offer guests a full range as normal.

Kind Regards
Manager
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked afternoon tea yesterday using an Amazon local voucher and took my mother in law as a belated mothers day treat. The waiter we had was rather sarcastic and to be honest a bit rude, I'm not sure if he thought he was funny but he wasn't!! We sat in the conservatory area which was fine. We've been to a few places before for afternoon tea and was expecting a choice of teas, instead we were offered tea or coffee, when I asked if they had a decaf option (due to my pregnancy) the waiter said they hadn't had a delivery as it is Easter weekend! The food itself was very disappointing! The bread just fell apart when picked up, the fillings were rather bland! The cakes were 4 slithers of what appeared to me to be a cheap brand of cake, nothing remotely special and he scones were awful, they were clearly a supermarket value brand and were really dry, I actually thought they were stale! We used an Amazon voucher so we paid a reduced price and I'm not sure if this is why the quality wasn't as good?? All I know is me and my husband are very disappointed and even a bit embarrassed we took his parent here and will not go back or recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kelly815

Travellers are raving about these Himley hotels

Birmingham
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We visited Himley Country Hotel for an afternoon tea today, using a voucher I purchased on Living Social. I realise you get what you pay for but I have paid a similar price for afternoon tea in other venues and have experienced a lot higher quality. After reading on Living Social that the waiting staff deliver homemade cake to your table, I was expecting a generous helping of delicious freshly baked cake. However the cake we did receive was rather small slithers of what looked to be shop brought cake - some of it a little on the dry side. The sandwiches were OK...not very adventurous - ham, cheese, tuna and egg, and the bread and cheese were also a little on the dry side. We were not offered a selection of teas or different options of coffee - simply tea or coffee and the tea was very weak and not a very appetising colour. Staff were friendly and helpful but having worked in hotels for several years myself, I would not say they offered a highly professional service or appearance in terms of uniform. The venue itself is very tired, shabby and outdated. The hotel would benefit from some cost effective modernisation and could perhaps adapt their food and beverage services and options based on all the negative feedback they have clearly received. Sadly I would not return or recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

What can I say other than to echo the other reviewers on here. We purchased the so called half price offer at the same time as my mother in law purchased two vouchers as gifts for friends. She was highly embarrassed to be informed by her friends when asking for honest opinions that it was very poor. To sum it up; shabby hotel. Shabby furniture in conservatory over looking the dingy car park. Cheap nasty "smart price value" sandwiches, slab cake and as for the scones well even my husband couldn't eat them and he usually is a human dustbin. I mean how much does it cost to make homemade cake and scones?
Half price should mean same quality better value but if this is the usual quality of the catering at this hotel I pity the poor guests. I can't believe they dish out this rubbish selling it as if it was fine dining. We left after 20 minutes. Save your money it would be better spent at ashwoods where the cakes food service and surroundings are superb.
This many bad reviews management isn't it about time you take note?

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Thegoodlifecouple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked afternoon tea yesterday as a treat for my friend's birthday but I was really disappointed. Having been to The Moat House in Acton Trussel which was fantastic , this did not meet expectations and I felt I needed to apologise to my friend. The bread was dry and the cakes were very ordinary slices of slab cake from a supermarket. I was expecting little sandwiches and homemade cakes and scones so I will not be coming back and will not be recommending it to anyone. I suggest management get this sorted as soon as possible. Too many bad reviews now surely? Bluegirl

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GBStanley
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just been for afternoon tea , what a disappointment sandwiches were not fresh bread was hard , cake was brought in slab cake which was cut so thin you could not pick it up , scones brought in were hard asked for fresh ones they came just the same , if you are going to do afternoon tea please do it right it means china tea cups not breakfast cups , would not recomend it

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank marl301
Also consider these accommodations in or near Himley
Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel
Barons Court Hotel
Barons Court Hotel
#1 of 20 in Wolverhampton
The Quality Hotel Dudley

Been to Himley Country Hotel? Share your experiences!