“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Himley
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

You could do better. Cake very poor also sandwiches had seen better days. Come on its not that difficult.
It should be home made cake this is a hotel after all.Scones not good,and not enough cream. It would have been nice to have been offered hot water fit a 2nd cup of tea..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Once again we're back at this hotel. It's good value for money, especially getting it through the deals. had this visit for £31 through Travel Republic. Normally go through Laterooms. Had a nice quiet room at the rear of the hotel, away from the car park. Good nights sleep, clean room but the showers need attention, never seem to find one that gives a bit of a blast. However, all's forgiven at breakfast. Help yourself to what you want and all for a fiver, not bad at all. Will be back.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Great value £35 what more can you ask for. The only thing that's puzzling me is I have been given the same room twice now (226). Coincidence??? Wonder if this has happened to any one. But hey very quiet and I love the surroundings hence I keep going back. Would be interesting to see what room I get next. But if it's room 226 again I will have to say something. But great staff and good overall.

• Stayed May 2014
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

what can i say apart from oh my god... and not in a good way... the sandwiches were soggy.. the slices of cakes were like the ones you get for 50p off the market and the scones looked like they had been nibbled by someone... most of it got put in the napkin and into the bin... only glad i didn't have to pay for it! homemade cakes and scones would have been better! love to have seen Gordon Ramsey there on kitchen nightmares!! Don't do it if your thinking of booking!!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank dorathexplore

Travellers are raving about these Himley hotels

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights as a short getaway, we went to West Midlands Safari Park which was about 30mins away, Twycross Zoo about 45mins and Birmingham City Centre around 45mins. So the location of the hotel was good for us with quick connections to the main roads and motorways. Our first room the shower had a constant drip and even with the ensuite door closed it could still clearly be heard and prevented my other half from a decent nights sleep - we had been walking around Birmingham City Centre all day so arrived late and didn't complain that night. The shower was also hard to actually get to turn on and then when it did the control for temperature and pressure was total pot luck. The actual dial came off in my hand when trying to turn off and after some time playing around with it actually managed to turn it off. When we complained we were moved to another room but the shower problems were similar (no drip though) however we couldn't get the shower to turn off and nor could staff so it was left on until we checked out the same morning.

There were extra pillows in the cupboard but even with 2 each were still relatively flat. The beds were reasonably comfortable but I'm now more used to sleeping on memory foam so I'm not a fan of springs which these were.

The rooms were a good size as were the corridors if you had a buggy or suitcases.

Breakfast buffet was nice and even though we were late one morning (due to above problems) we were still able to eat.

It was cheap at around £30 a night. TV's were a good size, a decent amount of channels and good reception. If they fixed the showers I would probably stay again but as is I wouldn't.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a decent SHOWER
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
himley, Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your comments, I am pleased you were happy with your stay.Our maintenance team is constantly improving and updating the showers and we will continue this process.

KInd Regards

Manager
Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I think its important to be fair when reviewing a stay and I have to say first off that we paid £35 a night - room only - for 3 nights. Not huge money, but it still didn't quite reach the standard what I expected.
First off, the car park into the Hotel is covered in pot holes - not a huge problem - but first impressions are everything. Why not send someone out with a wheel barrow of rubble and they could sort it in an hour?
On arrival, the receptionist wasn't exactly beaming with chattiness or helpful information - but she checked us in swiftly and we were shortly in our room.
The room is a good size - wardrobe space for hanging, dressing table, couple of chairs etc - all fine. The bed was comfy too - shame they could only allow us one pillow each though! The bathroom was a decent size but it was rather spoilt by two things: 1) the open drain in the middle which started to really smell and 2) the shower which had the possibility of being very dangerous. It ran water which was far too hot then it wouldn't allow us to change the temperature and at one point wouldn't switch off either. We did report this to reception and presumably someone fiddled with it as it worked ok the next day. Seemingly showers were a problem across the hotel, judging by another conversation we heard with reception.
What bugged me about the room was the fact that it didn't feel squeaky clean. On the first night I'd grazed my ankle which unfortunately bled onto the douvet cover. It was only a small stain and yes, it was my own bloody, but it was never changed for the 2nd or 3rd night of our stay. I'm sure it would only have been a 2 minute job - I was very surprised a maid could make the bed and not change it - it was in a very noticeable position. Secondly, there were two plastic cups in the bathroom. Clearly, when these have been used, they are then just rinsed out by the maid and shoved back in a plastic bag to make it look as though they're new. We knew this as the cup was still wet inside when we opened the 'new' bag. If you can't shove a new plastic cup in a room then what other corners will you cut?
We had breakfast the first day (extra £5 each) not something we wanted to endure the next two days. It smacked of cheapness - value sausages, wafer thin bread, the jar of jam even said tesco value jam on it - ?? The general impression is that everything is done 'on the cheap' and yes, £35 is a fairly cheap rate - but if a bit more effort was put in, the outcome would be a lot better. I wouldn't stay here again, there was nothing about this hotel which could draw me back. I suggest the Management take customer views on board and make the necessary changes to avoid further reviews. As I said, I am always fair, but this hotel fell below my expectations.

1 Thank KittyandWol

I would like to comment on a few points that you made: There are always spare pillows in the wardrobe and if for any reason you require any more reception are available 24 hours a day and would be happy to bring some to you; The cups in the bathroom come to us sealed and we are unable to seal them on site so they are always fresh for each new guest, I am sorry if you felt they had been used as they appeared to be wet, again, fresh cups could have been requested from reception. I am sorry that your duvet was not changed when it had been stained, I have spoken to housekeeping to ensure duvets are changed if they are obviously stained. I am surprised you felt breakfast was 'cheap' as we usually have very positive comments about our breakfast. Due to a supplier issue we had to purchase some jam from a supermarket to ensure we could offer guests a full range as normal.

Kind Regards
Manager
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked afternoon tea yesterday using an Amazon local voucher and took my mother in law as a belated mothers day treat. The waiter we had was rather sarcastic and to be honest a bit rude, I'm not sure if he thought he was funny but he wasn't!! We sat in the conservatory area which was fine. We've been to a few places before for afternoon tea and was expecting a choice of teas, instead we were offered tea or coffee, when I asked if they had a decaf option (due to my pregnancy) the waiter said they hadn't had a delivery as it is Easter weekend! The food itself was very disappointing! The bread just fell apart when picked up, the fillings were rather bland! The cakes were 4 slithers of what appeared to me to be a cheap brand of cake, nothing remotely special and he scones were awful, they were clearly a supermarket value brand and were really dry, I actually thought they were stale! We used an Amazon voucher so we paid a reduced price and I'm not sure if this is why the quality wasn't as good?? All I know is me and my husband are very disappointed and even a bit embarrassed we took his parent here and will not go back or recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kelly815
Also consider these accommodations in or near Himley
Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
#8 of 20 in Wolverhampton
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley

Been to Himley Country Hotel? Share your experiences!