“Family stay”

Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Himley
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked two rooms in this hotel, primarly due to its proximity to a family party being held over the road.

Me, my husband and our two girls stayed in room 11, (a family suite), and my parents were in the double room across the hallway. On arriving at the hotel, I found the staff extremely pleasant and helpful, and we aere quickly booked in. Our room, the family room consuted of a double bed, with a partitioned area containing two singles. It was warm and the bathroom, although small was well stocked with plenty of large fluffy white towels. My parents room was also war, with a clean and stocked bathroom.

We didn't have our evening meal there but we all have the cooked breakfast option in the morning. The buffet part was basic, with instant coffee and longlife croissants, but as that option is only a few quic, that is to be expected. The cooked breakfast was lovely with a quality sausage and bacon.

My only quibble was with the bed in our family room. A basic 4ft 6 double, (my husband is 6ft 4) was always going to be a challenge and the bed seemed to have a dip or slant, maybe due to the floorboards that meant our sleep was naot as good as it could have been. Appreciating the size of the room, if at all possible a replacement and bigger bed would be great.

My only other recommendation woudl be a few bottles of water in the room. The plumbing was rather loud, and it meant that I was loathe to get a drink at 2 in the morning when waking up rather dry.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The new menu is limited and disappointing. Steak was ok but served only with great pile of greasy rather tasteless chips and couple of battered onion rings. Not the place it used to be.

Service was good, staff pleasant and welcoming.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

After an error with my online booking, the manager was still able to allocate us a table which was appreciated. We were seated after a drink at the bar and chose from a substantial menu. Plenty to choose from and well thought out. Between us we had a steak and a wild boar burger. Both portions were huge, tasty and flavoursome. We shared the crumble of the day which was apple, raspberry and pear. It was a decent size to share with copious amounts of custard. The food all came in good time and we didn't feel rushed. The staff were all very helpful and friendly too. Overall, a very pleasant evening. Certainly would return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We have visited here many times for meal, sometimes twice a week however the new menu is limited and has strange add on's
I had fish pie there was only peas as a vegetable and that was in side the pie the fish still had bones in, the potatoes were creamy but overwhelmed the dish. a small fish pie would have been better with more vegetables the overhaul taste was fair, but it all tasted the same. The beef pie again had everything inside(vegs and meat) but did taste good. I can only think they are doing this to save time. My Husband asked for jacket potatoes and was informed we don't do them any more not everyone likes garlic potatoes.. The pudding menu is varied but to be honest its not traditional any more e.g. treacle sponge pudding has treacle toffee ice cream honey and nuts and cream however the crumble is very nice. We wont be going again in a hurry, I cant wait for the next menu.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear sandyc007, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate your visit further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Visited here on Sunday with family, the menu had changed since I last visited, and I found the Sunday menu to be disappointing. I struggled to find something that REALLY wanted. Not sure why the normal menu isn't running alongside this menu.

My sister in law is vegetarian and had the nut roast but had to ask for no potatoes as on the menu it states that her meal would come with 'goose fat' potatoes. Not very vegetarian friendly, so she chose not to risk it.

The food, once I had decided was good.

The service was faultless.

But I think the owners need to rethink their menu choices if they want people to return time after time.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Sadly l have to agree with one of the recent reviews concerning the new menu. l have eaten at the Himley House for several years, quite often more than once a week, either for lunch or evening meal or both! And my family and myself have had a great Boxing Day meal there for the last three years, and are booked for this year also. However, the last two meals there, in the last two weeks have not been good. And the change in menu is a bit of a let down, The lunchtime menu is no where near as good as previously, and l don't like my ice cream in a cup with a saucer! l am truly sad to hear the same comments from lots of friends, some of who have stopped going.
The atmosphere is still lovely, love the candles in the evening, the staff are still brilliant and friendly, so please can we have the decent food and menu's back. The Himley House has always been a notch above the rest, hope it returns to it's old ways soon! Hopefully by Boxing Day when my family of nine arrive there!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight while visiting family in the area. Booked because of location and price. Hotel has lots of character and is bigger inside then it looks. Booked a twin room and it was clean, large and spacious, the beds were very comfy! Had the cooked breakfast and this was a good size ( not to big ) and enough to fill you up till late afternoon. Staff were helpful and friendly. Would recommend and would stay again!

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Himley
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford
Barons Court Hotel
Barons Court Hotel
#1 of 21 in Wolverhampton
The Quality Hotel Dudley

Been to Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!