“Unhappy”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burslem
Greenock, United Kingdom
“Unhappy”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The parking was terrible had to pay extra as the Car park was so small. Our family room was smelling of dampness we later found bugs in our clothes cases. Our family room was placed next door to the wedding venue room which kept my 5 year old and 7 year old awake untill 12am after a long day for thier birthdays at Alton towers. I paid 147 for 2 nights and expected alot more. As a cleaner myself I checked it and it was filthy dirt on top of wardrobe. Dirty toilet tissues and mints and bugs under the beds. There was someone else's pubic hairs in the bath I had to wash away. I also found 13 bugs in 2 days. I didn't have breakfast as kids don't eat full breakfast but we were getting charged it was far to over prices and would not recommend. Staff were nice. But hotel is a mess. Will never use again. My advice.. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Annetjcharlie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Making the booking at Booking.com is fast and cheaper than the hotel directly.
The bedrooms are amazing, that bed it makes me go back to the past.
There is parking and the hotel is near many awesome places.
But they should make access for the disabled because there is nothing and is bad.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank seifnn
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I attended a wedding at this hotel this weekend and found the hotel brilliant! It was a very large wedding they had to cater for and they did extremely well the food at the reception was lovely and it was a very quick service all through the evening at the bar even though they had over 200 people to serve! The staff was excellent even though they must work very long hours always helpful and lovely to deal with! The breakfast was great self service and a lot of choice! The rooms are a bit dated but the beds and comfortable and it was very clean! The hotel does need a lick of paint but this does not take away from the fact it is a great hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at the George Hotel after attending a wedding there. Our experience was fantastic.the staff were friendly,helpful and very efficient. The food at the wedding was beautiful as was the breakfast . The rooms may be a little dated, but they we're clean and comfortable with all amenities. The Sunday carvery was beautiful and excellent value.

Room Tip: 106 is spacious and sleeps 3 people
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sotrent
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

best nights sleep id had in a good while :D would recommend for a cheap night at a hotel. woukd say it needs re decorating but that doesnt effect your Stay...and the staff were lovely too. very happy to help

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This certainly is such a disappointing hotel, it has so much potential to be fabulous but is tired and worn out. Staff are polite and friendly enough but no atmosphere is provided at all.

We stayed for two nights at Easter and the place was like a ghost town, we visited Alton towers for the two days we were there and had to get disgusting take away food from local places as there was no other choice. The bar was empty, whoever was on reception would serve you at the time, no atmosphere. We asked about the Sunday carvery but decided against it since the hotel was so lacking in ambience so I don't know how the carvery was.

Carpets are old and dingy, no lift, walls are painted duck egg and salmon colours with sockets and switches missing so have patches on them, our room was for three adults (my niece is 17) and she slept on a pop up bed. Don't get me wrong it was clean but you could not swing a cat in the space in the room, bathroom is very dated and makes so much noise when you flush. Walls are like paper, could hear the guests next door and the loud pub across the road. Bedside cabinet was broken and they had made no effort to try to fix it, just stuck the lamp on top of it lol, my man had to stand the hotel book under it to keep it upright. Place smells like carbolic soap.

Faulty towers without the laughs! The George hotel has so much old traditional character it could be an excellent place to stay if there was new carpets, painted walls and a welcoming atmosphere with more staff. Prices of drinks were ridiculous for such a run down hotel.

Yes it was cheap to book but I booked directly on the hotel website so I did not receive a discount or special offer so paying full price I definitely expected more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tripadvisr88

Travellers are raving about these Burslem hotels

west midlands
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel recently through booking.com. Checked in went into the twin room I was given. Opened the door and was horrified, rising damp on the walls. Lamp shades missing, dirty bed linen with blood stains, dirty carpets, furniture was broken and thick with dust, bugs crawling everywhere. Reminded me of Mrs Haversham's room from great expectations. Went to reception to complain and was told they would not swap my room and if I wanted to cancel then I would still be charged the FULL amount. I called the bank, cancelled my debit card and slept in my car.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank rogerbailey123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burslem
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Travelodge Newcastle-under-Lyme Central
Travelodge Newcastle-under-Lyme ...
#3 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!