“The George Hotel Stoke On Trent” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burslem
Warrington
“The George Hotel Stoke On Trent”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

I booked a room over the phone in this hotel, when I booked I was not made aware of the standard 48hr cancellation period by the girl I spoke to. The day I was due to travel the meeting I was attending was cancelled so I called to cancel the room. What a surprise they would not cancel the room and insisted I paid the rate for the room. The girl I spoke to was most obstructive and told me that the owner, the manager and the duty manger were not on duty. I requested the manager speak to me but yet another surprise he refused to speak to me about the mis-sold booking I had made. I decided as my meeting for the following 3 days had not been cancelled and I was being forced into paying for the room I would travel and use the room. The Hotel was disgustingly filthy and due to me being difficult I was put into a poky room at the back of the hotel with the lift shaft behind the wall with the bed on and the stairs on the other. This hotel is not worth 65p never mind £65 per night.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sue-wood53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Marske by the Sea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

We booked one night at this hotel as it was very close to the start of the Tour of Britain cycle race which we were following.
The room was tiny and truly awful
The shower was filthy and I had to clean in before I used it.
There was no valance on the bed so it looked awful. The mattress was so soft and old that it curled up on the edges when you laid on it.
We were disturbed all night by noise in the quadrangle in the middle of the hotel.
The furniture in the room was fit for the bin, the drawers had no handles on at all and bare screws poked out.
The breakfast was just about ok although the service left a lot to be desired.
I would never, never stay here again and I would advise anyone else to do the same.
I should have had my suspicions when I was asked to pay on check in. Its probably because you wouldnt agree to pay upon checkout !
I did write to the manager detailing my concerns but have not had a reply hence my posting this review.
I did give them a chance to respond but they chose not to so ...........

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hellie40

Travellers are raving about these Burslem hotels

chester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

The Holiday was Meant to be a special first time holiday for my seriously ill and disabled daughter and family , and since she is too ill to travel abroad we decided to book a package holiday break at Alton Towers in Staffordshire , I booked the holiday through Thomas Cook And was advised that the hotel called the George Hotel was of a high standard and a very modern well run hotel as I told the travel agents that the hotel had to be of a decent high standard due to how my daughter is and also at the fact that I had an infant also traveling and staying , We Arrived at the George Hotel On the 1st September The Booking was made for 4 Adults , 1 child and 1 infant , and there would be 2 adults in one room and 2 Adults , 1 Child and 1 Infant in the other room so we booked a Double Room and A tripple Room , The tripple Room was Meant to have a double bed , a single bed and a cot ,
When we arrived at the hotel to check in we found we had to pay to park on the main street as there was no available parking space in the hotels car park which they were advised on booking we needed a reassured parking space due to my daughters disability,
The woman on the desk that started checking us in was very rude and decided half way through check in to leave and I had to ask another member of staff to help us with the check in , we were not shown to our room we were just given the keys very rudely and left to try and search the entire hotel to find our rooms , the corridors were not lit up so it was very hard to try and see the door numbers , when we eventually found the rooms there was no cot in the triple room for my infant and were told they didn’t know if they had one but they would try and get one ready for when we got back from the alton towers park , we were told that the park was open late till bout half nine and that we were right next to the alton towers park as I told the travel agent I had to be as close to the park as possible as my daughter becomes highly distressed when traveling due to also having severe autism , although we found out that it was 45 minutes drive to the park from the hotel so for it being right near the park that was a completely blatant lie. And when we arrived at the park they were closing so we couldn’t use our 2 day park tickets that day.
We went back to the hotel and upon entering the room we found that they had given my infant a play gym to sleep in which it was stained all over with old baby food and milk and was in such poor state that the edge was all tattered and it cut and marked my 8 mmonth old infants head , the bed that they had provided for my disabled daughter was a month olds head and face . they had provided my 3 year old disabled daughter with a very old fold up camp bed which kept collapsing in the middle , they had also put it under the sash window which did not lock properly so she was able to stand on the bed and open the window and lean out , also we caught her trying to play with a plug socket which was hanging off the wall with the wiring exposed , my daughters legs were covered with flea bites and we found a flea on her face . The curtains were hanging off the runners , the very old tv in the bedroom did not work as it had no picture , there wasn’t enough fresh towels only one provided between 4 of us , they did not supply any bedding for our infant . the radiator in the room made a very loud pitch sound every half hour which lasted 15 minutes of which I have saved a video recording off as proof so my children were constantly disturbed from trying to sleep. We could not use the toilet in our on suite as it made a very loud vibrating and knocking sound so we had to use the ones for the hotel and we were absolutely mortified when my elderly father found a used condom all burst open in the toilet sink , and what looked like cocaine all round the sink and when I entered the womens the toilets were all overflowing with excrement and bowel movement . there was all dirty tissue paper all around the floor and sinks .
We approached the male who was working that night to only be told that we shouldn’t be surprised if we see and hear people running round the hotel all hours either drunk or on too many drugs as that’s what they get a lot of people doing there , he also stated that there was a visitor that had taken so many drugs one night that he was running round the hotel shouting that he had been stabbed.
When we asked what time the bar shut he replied that it didn’t and it was open 24 hours to the public so anybody could wonder in and out at any time ,
There was two men sat in the bar talking to this male member of staff that were smoking cannabis and also bragging about the hotel being so ruff that they were allowed to carry this out there along with anything else they pleased to do . and one of the males also stated the same to my nephew of 15 years of age and elderly father.
We tried to ring down for room service to bring up some refreshments and were told go down and get them as they do not provide guests with room service yet it clearly states on the hotel guide in every bedroom that room services are available at an extra small cost .
There was old rotten food splattered up the walls and both rooms smelt of animal urine and damp . we decided after complaining to the staff with no success that there was no way we could stay in this place and that we didn’t want our children around or staying in this environment , so we had to checkout and leave the hotel at 3.30am in the morning , drag our children and family along with our luggage out into the cold and drive all the way home back to north wales .And on our way out of leaving these premises there was no apologie all the manager could say was “will you require breakfast for the morning or not then “ we have never felt so intimidated and unsafe before as we did at the George hotel , our daughters holiday was completely ruined , it was a very traumatizing experience and to be perfectly honest it has completely put us off going away again , we could not use our 2 day pass tickets to alton towers park of which we were so looking forward to the experience and our days out there , we thought it would be a nice treat for our little girl before she undergoes yet another of many major operation and since she has never had the chance to go on holiday due to spending so much time of her 3 years of life in hospital we thought this .would be the perfect little holiday for our daughter and family , when we were so wrong and it turned out to be the worst time of our lives and would never recommend this hotel to anyone , and as for it being three stars it certinately is not it needs to be completely shut down and am very surprised that this place has not been closed down already it is not fit for an animal let alone a family or a human being .
i advise everyone to seriously advoid this poor excuse for a hotel !!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank bellbrooke
stoke on trent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

I am local to Stoke On Tent therefore I only booked the Ball room for a wedding reception. I took the iniative to organise and discuss the running my event and how I wanted the staffing structure catering etc. I was assured time and time again that all my requirment would be met.
alongside the hire of the Hall, i also paid for the linen napkins, straight drinking glasses tableclothes etc. I few hours before the wedding I rang the hotel to enquire whether it tables etc were set up for me and i was assured that everything was ready and set up. we arrived t find that nothing was set up, not even the tables!!! rather than linen napkins (which i paid alot of money for) i was given paper napkins, stained beer mugs were given for a sit down meal when i specifically asked for regular drinking glasses. The place stunk. When I complained the manager- Sharon was very rude and arguementative and the other staff were completely useless! the plates were dirty and when i asked for them to be washed again. they took them and brought them back in its original state! the place is filthy. The staff clearly do not know how to carry out their job and were very unporfessional. When the matter was contended the manager didnt even show that she cared!
I am amazed that this placed is left to run like this. its disgusting!

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank Butterfly25_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burslem
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!