“Good as it gets for end/start of day motor way access.”

Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good as it gets for end/start of day motor way access.”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Just off the M1 but far enough away that you aren't aware that it's there! 2 minutes off the road and your either "home" or on your way again. Perfect for me as a business traveller.
Bar friendly, food quietly and efficiently served. Generous portion size, good and hot.
Menu nothing exciting but there is another eatery and "pub" next door too.
Rooms clean and functional. Efficient showers rather than relaxing baths.......
Bed seemed a little short for my 6'2" don't understand why, tightly tucked in duvet maybe?
Duvet and the pillows are so soft that they seem to lack "substance" and comfort?
Nice temperature throughout the building on a cool autumn evening.
Generally well done and a budget/convenience recommendation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
EncoreBarnsley, Manager at Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013

See you soon

Dawne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Cannot complain about this hotel, very clean and well run, excellent breakfast, food really good, room functional and had all amenaties you would expect, beds comfortable, just too utility for more than one night.
Good position for road / motorway network

• Stayed September 2013
Thanks for your feedback

Glad you enjoyed your stay, see you again soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I needed to visit a relative in hospital and was looking for a local hotel for an overnight stay. I came across this establishemnt which is situated just off the M1 and is within walking distance of a Toby Carvery (2 mins) I checked in and paid at the desk where they gave me the online rate. The room was modern, stylish, spotlessly clean and had everything that I needed. There was free wifi in the bar and lobby which could be picked up in the first floor rooms. Breakfast was not included but available at a very reasonable cost - alternatively the Toby offered an all you can eat buffet for under £5. This place was perfect and knocked the spots off all other travel lodge, Premier inn equivalents. And most amazingly it cost under £30.

Room Tip: Free Wifi reaches first floor only. All rooms have a connection if you wish to pay.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thanks for your review

Glad you enjoyed your stay

Our ALL inclusive breakfast is £7.00 no hidden extras and we do not limit your visits to the buffet

See you soon

Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We booked for an overnighter to visit a car show in Elsecar just up the road and intended to eat in the hotel, surrounded by posters for food we found out that we couldn't eat until at least 8:30 because there where two coach tour staying as well and eating in one big sitting, although there is a pub very close that serves food we didn't really want to go out due to the very inclement weather.
The poor staff where rushed off their feet all night trying to cope and there was a four deep queue at the bar at times.
Good nights kip but not very impressed by the logistics.

Room Tip: There is a local railway line close to the rear of the hotel but very quiet 2 trains per hour so aft...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, sorry we had a full hotel, we do try and manage the times of our parties,however our restaurant is open all day untill 9.30p.m.

Hope you will use us again

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have been here for a week now and these are my thoughts:-
Good clean room I do not have an issue with the firm beds as I prefer. I took advice from other reviews and have brought my own pillow glad I did because I do not like the ones provided. Some have had issue with the lack of wardrobe well I have found the open storage fine but must admit I have brought plenty of spare hangers only 6 supplied - adequate for short stays. I have encountered no problems with the internet. Some have said the rooms are too hot, I find the main areas of the hotel stifling hot but temperature comfortable in my room as the radiator can be adjusted or tuned off. TV in room I agree has a grainy picture and limited channels also volume is limited and as I am hearing impaired I cannot hear it even on max.but I recognise that any louder would be a nuisance to other guests so I accept this as a necessary evil. I love the bathroom good shower always hot water and plenty of shelving for all my stuff I don't mind the wet room set up, once you have mastered the art of aiming the shower so that the floor is not drenched there is no problem. I like the modern room with laminate floor throughout, I hate stained carpets and dusty rooms - the cleaners here do a wonderful job! No issues with reception staff all seem friendly I checked in quickly and efficiently what more do you want! My only criticism is lack of fridge in room I find it amazing that hotels do not provide, I did ring to see if a fridge could be provided at extra cost due to the length of my stay but unfortunately this service is not available.

I have not used the restaurant so cannot comment on the food. I have used the bar only once I did not feel comfortable and although clean and modern there is no atmosphere.

This is a budget hotel probably used mostly by business people for a night or two, for the price I am happy all I need is a quiet clean room with good shower and a decent nights sleep so so far so good. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Back facing room on 2nd or 3rd floor overlooking railway line no trains through the night until 6.50...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
EncoreBarnsley, Manager at Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for your review, glad you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you again

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed in Room 215, Wet room had at one time a shower screen built into the floor, so you now have an inch trough the length of the screen, which obviously fills with water & Hair, E-Coli special, also now that there is no screen the toilet gets a shower too......Mobile signal rubbish, Wifi wot Wifi?
Ordered room service for Food...A hot sandwich & fries, 1 hour later I had to contact the Reception to inquire were my food was....they forgot, so i didnt get my food till after 9:00pm ! The Tv in the room had only a few channels and i am not quite sure what they are as you could only get BBC World News, no local news at all. The hotel was very clean and so was the room, if the Customer Relations & Cosmetic items were addressed then the hotel would be very good.

Room Tip: Room 215. is on the back & only if you open the window, you may think you are in the middle of t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your review, sorry your room was not as it should have been, will fix as soon as possible

Wifi is only available on the ground floor hard wired in the bedrooms

Hope you will try us again

Stafford UK
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here (Fri 25th-Mon.28th Oct) due to a wedding, we were attending in the hotel.
The bedroom was clean as was the wc/bathroom. So no probs here. In fact there were very few (if any probs), only a few niggling little shortfalls that could be easily addessed.
1) The TV in the room had a very poor selection of TV channels (and picture quality grainy) and one channel (as listed in our guide to the hotel TV channels), was not available. The menu on the TV did not work and came up "this function is not available." Set clock for alarm was also "function not available" so you could not set the TV alarm/clock to wake you!!!
2( The wired internet (ethernet) unit would not fit our laptop (no adapter available from reception) so we were unable to access the internet in the room (what a pain and inconvenience). You cannot use (I was informed at reception) Ipods/pads/phones/ Notebooks/tablets/ Kindles/Kobos or Android phones etc in the room with the hotel unit provided. I asked at reception about this and was told that I could use the free comp. available in the reception or go to the lounge and use any of my wifi equipment there.
3)There was no clock in the room or anywhere visible in the reception area. How are folks (not wearing time pieces) to know the time in the hotel whilst waiting in the reception for an arranged taxi or pick/meeting if no viewable clocks are displayed.
4) Breakfast was a buffet with full English ( Nicely cooked and prepared) alongside Yoghurt fruit juice, cereals tea/coffee/ jams/cheeses, croissants etc. The only let downs were, that the clean glasses for juice niffed a bit so you needed to smell for a clean fresh smelling one. We stayed 3 nights. On the last breakfast we came down for, buffet cooked brealkfast we were informed that due to there being only 5 resident guests, the buffet cooked breakfast was not avialable but only a plated version was. This was ok and you could eat as much as you wished. and have more if so desired.
5) On returning to our room (2nd day) our room had been cleaned but no towels( except a bath towel in shower) were in the room. I went down to reception and was told due to them laundering their own towels, there would be some sent up shortly. This is fine I told the receptionist, but as I wanted to dry my hands (after using the toilet) if it had not been for the bath towel that had been left (in Shower) I would not have had anything to dry my hands.
The above comments may seem like complaints, (it's not intended to be) it's only intended as constructive advice to help improve services
We enjoyed our 3 nights stay at the hotel and all the staff were friendly and always had a smile and were very helpful. If I were to pick out one member of staff it would be Mable (weddings etc) She was so welcoming and friendly and only too pleased to accommodate any reasonable request within her power to provide.
Would we stay there again.
Yes a defiinant yes. Good value, good staff, good rooms, good location, good food, Overall excellent. A big thank you to all for making our visit so enjoyable.

Room Tip: If noisy function on. Opt for a top room if quiet comfortable sleep is required.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review see you again soon

Dawne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
The Fairway, Barnsley
#1 of 1 in Scissett
Staindrop Lodge
Staindrop Lodge
#20 of 53 in Sheffield

Been to Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel? Share your experiences!