“great stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Arrived sun eve to be able to park right by the entrance, into the reception to be met by the very helpful and capable ben who sent us on our way to a second floor room facing the car park, it smelt of fags but on telling Ben, he came up immediately and sprayed the room, room is large and well appointed and with free internet and free phone calls, unique in any hotel for sure.

Needed extra pillows, Ben to the rescue lol, large lcd tv and enjoyable power shower with plenty of tea and coffee, more needed? call Ben ha ha, bed was comfortable and breakfast is a relaxed informal occasion that was well attended by the staff (not ben), who were helpful and fast.

With a mix of wowcher and booking. com we had a great 3 nights at a very reasonable rate and had no reason for complaint and are hoping to come back, fingers crossed for another deal eh!, my advice is: if you have a problem than give the staff a chance to put it right because our experience is that ALL the staff are friendly and helpful.

The hotel is well situated for visits to Barnsley or meadow hall and easy to find as its right off the slip Rd of the M1.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philjdaw
EncoreBarnsley, General Manager at Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Great to see Ben and all the team looked after you

See you again soon

Dawne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Buckinghamshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel Friday evening with a room situated at the back of the hotel. Which is very noisy with the motorway running right past the widow.

This was because we had to have the window open as the room was so hot, radiator had been left on full so it was extremely warm. You then closed the window which does solve the noise issue, but the room doesn't cool down, you have no room controls for the air conditioning, which only appears to dry out the air rather than reduce the temperature, although room controls and a thermostat would be helpful. As a consequence neither myself or my partner got much sleep After reading other reviews make sure you have a room at the front of the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
EncoreBarnsley, General Manager at Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and discussing further you poor nights sleep.

I am sorry we do not have air-conditioning in the hotel bedrooms, however the radiator can be controlled in the room.

We do offer fans at reception for guests to use, also we have purchased some ear plugs to ensure light sleepers can get a good nights rest.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I've stopped here before, and been at the front of the hotel - and believe me, it is like two different hotels - the front is absolutely fine, the back is very noisy with the motorway. You just take a chance!

The problem we had with the room was the temperature - it was absolutely boiling hot. The heating wasn't on - and we opened the window as soon as we got to the hotel, but neither my wife or I got any sleep Friday night as it was unbearably warm, and with the window open very noisy. I didn't mention it to reception, as to be honest if the heating wasn't on, then presumably there wasn't anything they could do anyway.

I do like the bathroom here - a very good one. A minor complaint with the pillows - very thin and added to the aggravation of not sleeping Friday night. An extra pillow on Saturday night did help.

Room Tip: Front of the building is essential.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry the room was hot for you during your stay, we do not have airconditioning in our hotel bedrooms however we can provide fans for our guests during their stay.

Some of our rooms are facing the M1 motorway, however they are double glazed. We can also offer a room away from the motorway and we have now purchased ear plugs for our guests, as sleeping in a hotel can be noisy as all guests arrive and deaprt at different times of the night.

Once again thank you for your feedback as this helps us to improve

Douglas, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Very nice modern hotel, large free car park and even though its very near to the M1 it wasn't particularly noisy. The staff were all very pleasant and extremely helpful. Rooms are of a good size & lovely & light & bright. Good shower/wet room. The food was OK but nothing special there is an excellent Toby Carvery on the same site which was far better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front as it is South facing.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon

Great Harwood, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights for my birthday weekend as it was close to places we were visiting, I must say the hotel is very modern, clean and stylish. We ate in the restaurant which was fairly quiet, the meals were reasonably priced and delicious! Breakfast was a help yourself buffet, either full English or continental, again very tasty and plenty of choice. The rooms were very modern, lovely shower/wet bathroom, very warm, the only thing I could moan about is Wi-Fi is only available in the hub/bar/lounge, you have free internet in bedrooms, but not Wi-Fi.. Our rooms were cleaned thoroughly daily, and ample parking, would highly recommend..Also a toby carvery/pub located next door which was very handy..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

We look forward to you staying with us again soon

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Location - Very easy to find, large free car park, right next to M1.
Check In - Really easy, staff pleasant and nice open clean entrance.
Room - Lovely and clean. Free wifi, nice size TV, wooden floor and wet room with plenty of towels
Cost - Room was £29 bargain from booking.com that didn't include breakfast but we were offered this when we checked in.
Would use this hotel again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

We look forward to seeing you again
South Yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

For some reason my review was also moved to 'The Hub' but trust me this is for the Ramada Encore Dodworth Barnsley. Be warned......
Dined here with friends on Friday evening (21 February) using a Groupon Voucher as payment. From start to finish the whole experience was so bad it bordered on the farcical!! When we arrived it became apparent that there was a wedding party in the open plan area to the left of the main entrance. Music was being played so loudly that I couldn't hear a word that my husband, who was standing at my side, was trying to say. I had expected that there would be a separate restaurant so the music wouldn't bother us too much surely... but no. About a dozen formica topped tables had been placed in a cordoned off area a few yards from the DJ and his deck. It resembled a café and I initially thought that this must be where bar snacks were served but I was wrong. This was the 'dining room'. As we waited for our meal, conversation was impossible however it didn't seem to be much of a problem to the three couples at a nearby table. They resorted to bellowing and shrieking across the table to make themselves heard. It was like Bedlam. Eventually my husband approached the duty manger and asked her if the music could be turned down just a little. (There was no-one dancing after all) She said that it wasn't 'as loud as it normally is' (really!!??) and that she 'couldn't ask them to leave' (?) My husband said that no, he hadn't asked for anyone to leave and repeated that the diners might be given just a little consideration and the music turned down a fraction. (Perhaps she couldn't hear him very well?) To be fair from that point it did seem slightly less noisy and if you faced the person speaking you could just make out what they were saying. Well it was either that or sign language.
And so to the meal....... Oh dear. Included in the deal was a glass of wine but unfortunately for my husband there was no rose so he settled for white. There was also a problem with our friend's drink but I couldn't tell you what it was for the life of me because I couldn't hear a word of what was said!! Three of us ordered rump steak with trimmings. We asked for one rare, one medium and one well done. (Meanwhile the volume of the music was creeping up....!) The steak arrived. The rare was actually medium. The medium was well done and the well done was well tough. In fact all the steaks were tough and obviously poor quality. They were each served with a small mushroom, a tomato and a portion of chips. I couldn't believe it. Is this a special cut price meal thrown together for the Groupon diners, I wonder? For dessert I had cheese and biscuits and to be fair the cheese was good and there was plenty of it but there was no garnish of celery, grapes or sliced apple. Our friends were unlucky. They had run out of their chosen desserts.
To be honest we couldn't wait to leave. We decided to go to the Holiday Inn just around the corner for coffee and so the evening ended there in the beautiful comfortable lounge area. Background music was playing softly as we sipped our liqueurs and fabulous filter coffee. Bliss.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any, would be my advice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank PhilnNeet
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal with us, as we have served over 350 meals on this offer over the last month.

I have discussed your comments with my team and I thank you for helping us improve our service.

Dawne Carter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
Premier Inn Barnsley Central M1 J37 Hotel
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre
BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre
#1 of 1 in Newmillerdam

Been to Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel? Share your experiences!