“QUICK TO TAKE MONEY BUT NOT SO FAST TO PUT IT BACK.”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I was carrying out some freelance work in the local area and so the company I was working for booked me into this hotel. The location was ideal(5 minutes away from where I was working) and the bed was very comfortable. HOWEVER, the room was freezing, I couldn't turn the bedside lights on, and the walls must've been very thin as I could hear everything going on around the four walls of the room. What leaves a particularly bad taste though, is the £75 pre authorisation fee. When I asked the receptionist what it was, she didn't answer. Given the fact that I checked out early yesterday morning I am still waiting for the money to be put back into my account. To say I'm very annoyed is an understatement. Clearly very quick to take money but not so quick to put it back.

I had a meal in the bar area, the food wasn't very good but the bar staff were pleasant and clearly very hard working and the girl on the reception desk when I checked out was very pleasant also.

I am staying in a Gloucester Holiday Inn Express this week, and absolutely dreading it after this experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GRHIBarnsley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

I was disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with some aspects of your stay, and have since spoken with various members of my team to ensure that learnings can be taken from your feedback.

As standard, all pre-authorisations are released within an hour of our guests checking out, and your personal experience is most irregular. My reception team will be monitoring future pre-authorisations to ensure that they are released in a timely manner.

In regard to your comments refering to the temperature and noise of our bedrooms, my maintenace teams are currently looking into the situation, to assess whether any improvements are nessecery.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and if there is anything at all that I can do to be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

The staff were excellent a true credit to the company, the lady on reception was very helpful and knowledgeable. The resterant staff were some of the best I have seen for a long time. The hotel it's self is a true gem when we walked in it rivaled some of the 5* hotels we have stayed at, very clean and very well presented. The room it's self was very clean and tidy, the only reason I did not put streight tens on the hotels own feed back was that the bed in our room was very soft and sloaped into the middle! Not the best nights sleep. We ate in the resterant for our evening meal and breakfast and wow, value for money was great (we booked the evening meal and breakfast package) and the quality of food and service was next to none. We also used the gym / spa which is a brilliant asset for the hotel and made our stay even better. A big thank you to the lady on reception as she stood out as a top member of staff and also to the general manager who clearly runs a brilliant hotel with exerlent staff.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GRHIBarnsley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback from your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

I was extremely pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I do hope that I can welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

I have passed on your comments regarding the bed quality in your room to our Housekeeping Team, with a view to replacing the mattress as soon as possible.

But nevertheless, thank you for your stay, and please do not hesitate to contact me should their be anything at all that I can do for you.

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

My partner and I went to the Holiday Inn yesterday (17.01.14) for afternoon tea (Groupon) and it was very nice. We arrived in the bar area and was served with a glass of Prosecco. The waiter then took us through to Brooklands restaurant and brought us a selection of sandwiches, cakes, tea and coffee with all the usual trimmings. Everything was very tasty and the chocolate cake was gorgeous... my favourite! Presentation and service were both excellent. We would definitely go again. Thanks for a lovely afternoon tea :)

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

I was excited to read about how much you enjoyed your visit, particulary our chocolate cake!

I do hope that I can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Barnsley in the not too distant future.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just had a lovely afternoon tea. The food was fine and was washed down with a glass of Prosecco.We were a party of 11 and we were on a large round table which was great for chatting. The waitress was helpful and polite and brought us more sanwiches when we asked.Many thanks.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

It was a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your Afternoon tea, and myself and my team hope that we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

In the mean while, please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything at all that I can do to be of assistance.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I was at a function at this hotel. During the function we add a 3 course meal for the main I had beef.This was dry and tasteless and I was not the only one to say so. The rooms was of a good standard but the bed was uncomfortable due to you rolled together, quite a few complained about this. Breakfast was very good the only down side was there was 3 fried eggs left that under the lights was going dry, one of the staff came to replace them and i asked"can I have a fresh one pleased" only to get snapped at with the comment "there all fresh" so will I stay again , I don't think so.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GRHIBarnsley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Value Guest,

I am disappointed to read that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

I have discussed your comments at length with my management team, and actions have been taken to ensure that these failings do not take place again in the future. I have also spoken to the breakfast team, and will personally take some time coaching them to ensure that the experience that you had at breakfast will not repeat itself.

I do hope that I can have the pleasure of again welcoming you into the hotel in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me, should there be anything that I can be of assistance with.

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I have visited at the hotel many times on business trips to local a food factory but noticed in the last few stays that the hotel has slowly become run down. I stayed in room 213 on this occasion and this was a really disappointing room. As I entered the room there was a terrible stench of what can only be described as a blocked drain......phew.

I didn't manage to get any photos but there was mould (brown staining on wooden panelling) around the bath and on the water basin unit .....arghh. There was no tea bags (again) in the room which is annoying although I did go down to reception (very helpful) and get some stock.

As I stated earlier I have stayed here a few times on business and I can only report on what I've seen recently which is a slow deterioration in standards and cleanliness of the rooms which was the worst this time round.

Just one final thing is that IHG/Holiday Inn offer a reward/loyalty card which I present at every stay at the Brooklands and to date I have never received a single reward point for my stay.… what's the point of having a loyalty scheme if you're not going to reward your customers ? I did report this to the receptionist again who did say she would put another 300 points on my rewards card on my account but I know I was offered something similar on my previous stays but these never materialise !!

Overall its not that bad if you're staying for one night and the breakfast was good value with lots of choice but I have asked my supplier to look at alternatives for future.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

I was disappointed to read your review regarding your recent stay with us.

At the Holiday Inn Barnsley, we take great pride in providing our guests with a great and memorable experience, and I was extremely disappointed to hear that this did not happen during your most recent visit.

Your comments have been discussed at length within my management team, and a number of actions will be taking place as a result. Our newly appointed housekeeping manager is personally taking charge to ensure that the issues you encountered with Room 213 are rectified for yourself and future guests.

With regards to your comments about our Rewards Club, my reception team have investigated the possible reasons why you may not be receiving your points, and they will be happy to speak with yourself regarding potential solutions.

I do hope that I may have the pleasure of welcoming you back into the hotel in the not too distant future, so that you may see the improvements that have taken place as a result of your feedback. In the meanwhile, please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any assistance.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel on Christmas Eve for one night. The lobby of this hotel is large with seating areas and it really is pleasant to sit in there for a drink. All staff are very good at their jobs and friendly which made our stay good.
We were at the hotel for a Christmas Eve diner dance which was excellent with a good band and an excellent three course meal so we really did have a good night.
Our room was large with a bathroom with a full size bath, which makes a change from some of the small baths in hotel rooms.
The room was clean and well kept which made our stay pleasant, and there was a nice sized flat screen TV in there as well.
Breakfast the next morning was hot with plenty of choice, I really enjoyed it.
All in all a good night and a good stay. One more thing, when you stay here you have access to the adjoining health club which also has a lovely swimming pool.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

I was delighted to read about your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

It is always a pleasure to hear how much our guests have enjoyed their visit, but even more so other the festive season.

Your comments have been passed on to the teams that were working throughout your stay, and they were excited to hear how wonderful your experience was.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Barnsley, and please do not hesitate to contact me should their be anything at all we can be of assistance with.

Holiday Inn Barnsley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel
#1 of 1 in Scissett
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
#1 of 1 in Newmillerdam

Been to Holiday Inn Barnsley? Share your experiences!