“Going down hill fast !!!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Visit this hotel and stayed for Sunday dinner which was a nightmare none of the staff (when you could fine any ) know anything at all if you asked them someone they just said they would have to ask someone else then would never come back...service on food took hours very under staffed and really showed that the hotel was struggling !!

Stayed: March 2014
GRHIBarnsley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

I was extremely disappointed to read that you did not receive the first class experience that we strive to provide to our guests. As a sign of good will I would like to invite you back to the Holiday Inn Barnsley with my compliments so that you may experience the service that my team strives to provide.

Please do not hesitate to contact me to partake of this offer.

In the meanwhile, if there is anything that I may do to be of assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Holiday Inn Barnsley.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Have stayed befor and the location was why we went this time.
Rooms clean enough, good thick curtains, with good interior lights ( often find hotel rooms only have mood lighting, nowhere to do your make-up!), couple of complaints though. 1. No towel rail in the bathroom, towels had to be draped around room to dry overnight to be reusable, 2. Very poor bed, obviously we all have our preferences but I do prefer not to just roll into the middle of the bed as soon as I lay down (even worse my m husband got in next to me!), 3. Minor I know but with a lovely dark room, the LED time display on the TV was so bright I could find the bathroom in the dark!!!!
Did enjoy using the leisure facilities though

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GRHIBarnsley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your recent stay.

I was disappointed to read that some aspects of your stay were not to your expectations, and I have had a detailed conversation with my management to ensure that these nuances can be rectified for future visits.

As a result, we are currently investing in some brand new mattresses, and we are making arrangements for towel rails to be fitted within our bathrooms.

I do hope that we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Barnsley in the not too distant future. In the meanwhile, if there is anything I can do to be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times & also spent a few occasions here such as birthdays, events and Christmas. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are always very clean and spacious. The events that are organised are always excellent. I would recommend room service too, as it is quick and the staff are always very helpful. Top class hotel, would recommend to everyone.

Stayed: March 2014
GRHIBarnsley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your recent visit to us.

I was proud to read how impressed you are with the Holiday Inn Barnsley, and your excellent comments have been passed on to all of the team.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future, and in the mean time, if there is anything I can do to be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Six of us stayed here one night, midweek, as we were in the area for a family funeral.
We had driven for five hours so it was lovely that although we arrived at the hotel early we were able to have our rooms straightaway.
The decor in the reception, lounge and bar was pleasant and attractive. The receptionists were friendly and helpful. We had three rooms. They were all spacious and comfortable, although two of the three rooms had fairly grubby carpets with stains etc. Ensuites were generally clean and well appointed, no shampoo etc but could be obtained from reception if required. Our bed would have been comfy except it dipped in the middle so we had roll-together all night. It was also too warm in the room even with radiator off and window open.
Breakfast was reasonable although when we arrived just before 9 am (breakfast is 7-10) some of the stuff had run out and we had to wait quite some time for replacements, which meant that four of us ended up eating before the other two.
Our biggest disappointment was the leisure club next door. There are several hotels in the area and we chose the Holiday Inn specifically because of the pool, as we had our six year old granddaughter with us. However after booking we discovered in the small print that children are only allowed in the pool between 2.30-4.30 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and weekends, which meant we were unable to use it, and had a very disappointed child :-(

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Sue H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the pool policies prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have stayed here previously and had a lovely stay so decided to come back. Well the room we were given appeared to be nice and generally it was apart from the bed was so uncomfortable we just rolled into the middle all night. The first night we kept trying to warm the room up with the air con that only blew out cold air regardless of the setting it was on. The radiator was only warm on its highest setting. When the second night came I went to reception to ask for a heater and was told they would sort something out, nearly 2 hours later after 2 phone calls and another visit to reception the manager came to the room and fiddled with the setting to no avail saying there were no heaters free as they had been booked out already. So the rest of the hotel suffers with the cold then eh? He went away to get some more blankets for us and a bit later he returned with 2 heaters. One he had found in a room and another from a relative nearby?! They kept the chill off during the night but we were in no way warm.

The next niggle I have is breakfast. It was supposed to be available till 10.30 at the weekend. We go down there about 10 and there was hot food available and some pastries but not a huge amount of choice and everything was packed away by 10.15 on both mornings. We had to ask for some eggs to be done properly the first day as there were some there but they were all sat with runny gloopy egg white on the top. The next day we ordered an omelette. When that came we had to send it back as again it was runny and sloppy. How hard is it for a qualified chef to cook an egg properly.

Don't get me wrong I may sound like a moaner but I use the holiday inn brand on a weekly basis all over the country and have been a loyal member of their brand and points system for over 10 years so I know when somewhere is not up to the usual standard.

It may be a while before I stay up here again. I will keep an eye on the reviews.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Tony_and_Kay,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate to see this stay was not up to the standards of your previous visit. We were pleased to see perfect score for Cleanliness. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I was carrying out some freelance work in the local area and so the company I was working for booked me into this hotel. The location was ideal(5 minutes away from where I was working) and the bed was very comfortable. HOWEVER, the room was freezing, I couldn't turn the bedside lights on, and the walls must've been very thin as I could hear everything going on around the four walls of the room. What leaves a particularly bad taste though, is the £75 pre authorisation fee. When I asked the receptionist what it was, she didn't answer. Given the fact that I checked out early yesterday morning I am still waiting for the money to be put back into my account. To say I'm very annoyed is an understatement. Clearly very quick to take money but not so quick to put it back.

I had a meal in the bar area, the food wasn't very good but the bar staff were pleasant and clearly very hard working and the girl on the reception desk when I checked out was very pleasant also.

I am staying in a Gloucester Holiday Inn Express this week, and absolutely dreading it after this experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GRHIBarnsley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

I was disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with some aspects of your stay, and have since spoken with various members of my team to ensure that learnings can be taken from your feedback.

As standard, all pre-authorisations are released within an hour of our guests checking out, and your personal experience is most irregular. My reception team will be monitoring future pre-authorisations to ensure that they are released in a timely manner.

In regard to your comments refering to the temperature and noise of our bedrooms, my maintenace teams are currently looking into the situation, to assess whether any improvements are nessecery.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and if there is anything at all that I can do to be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

The staff were excellent a true credit to the company, the lady on reception was very helpful and knowledgeable. The resterant staff were some of the best I have seen for a long time. The hotel it's self is a true gem when we walked in it rivaled some of the 5* hotels we have stayed at, very clean and very well presented. The room it's self was very clean and tidy, the only reason I did not put streight tens on the hotels own feed back was that the bed in our room was very soft and sloaped into the middle! Not the best nights sleep. We ate in the resterant for our evening meal and breakfast and wow, value for money was great (we booked the evening meal and breakfast package) and the quality of food and service was next to none. We also used the gym / spa which is a brilliant asset for the hotel and made our stay even better. A big thank you to the lady on reception as she stood out as a top member of staff and also to the general manager who clearly runs a brilliant hotel with exerlent staff.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GRHIBarnsley, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback from your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

I was extremely pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I do hope that I can welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

I have passed on your comments regarding the bed quality in your room to our Housekeeping Team, with a view to replacing the mattress as soon as possible.

But nevertheless, thank you for your stay, and please do not hesitate to contact me should their be anything at all that I can do for you.

Holiday Inn Barnsley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel
#1 of 1 in Scissett
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
#1 of 1 in Newmillerdam

Been to Holiday Inn Barnsley? Share your experiences!