“This is a take away fish and chip shop only not a cafe.”

Shaws Fish and Chips of Dodworth
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Dodworth
Price range: US$3 - US$14
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Takeout
Description: Traditional take out Yorkshire Fish and Chips
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I used to work very close to this fish shop and bought their food weekly. I am now retired but I still buy their fish and chips even though I live a few miles away. I think the journey is worth it to get well cooked tasty fish and chips. The quality never varies it is always the best. You usually have to queue as this such a popular fish shop, again it is worth queuing to know you will get the same quality as you always get. The staff are efficient and pleasant. The shop is spotless. What more could you ask for. The prices are not cheap but they are acceptable when you know you will get good service, quality and taste.

Mike S, Owner at Shaws Fish and Chips of Dodworth, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments, my self and all my staff really love to hear how much you like us and what we do. As for the cost, well its a term overused but I really do work to this: you get what you pay for. So while I try and keep the cost down as much as possible, buying local, sustainable products, only buying fish from certified well managed areas of the arctic ocean and using recyclable packaging all adds extra pennies to each portion I'm afraid. But thank you for understanding.

There are newer reviews for Shaws Fish and Chips of Dodworth

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I love it when my partner suggests Fish and Chips for tea. The food here is great. Portions are great for the price you pay.
Well cooked, hot and tasty
Expect a queue at this popular chippy, but worth the wait

Mike S, Owner at Shaws Fish and Chips of Dodworth, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

I love it when our customers are as passionate about our fish and chips as we are. Thank you so much for choosing us and giving us this lovely review. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have been visiting this fish and chip shop for many years and bearing in mind I live 8 miles away on the opposite side of Barnsley and there are numerous fish and chio shops on the way my family will only go to Shaws.

Yes it is very busy and you have to wait a short while to be served at times, but this is due to the popularity and excellent quality of the food.

What some people forget is that everything is freshly cooked not precooked and stuck on one side until a customer appears, and any fast food service can only cook as much as their friers will take to maintain the quality.

As for one other complaint about bad service from the staff, in all the years I have used this chippy the staff have been really nice. Considering they are constantly on their feet working behind very hot pans in a small work area and trying their best to serve the customers as fast as possible and keep the queues moving. I and my family think they do a brilliant job.

2  Thank Paul W
Mike S, Owner at Shaws Fish and Chips of Dodworth, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your honest review and your patience and understanding. We do try our best to be fast at serving to try and not have customers waiting too long and that can some times come across as we are being a little sharp or off. Its a fine line to try and tread. Anyway, glad you enjoy our fish and chips.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

as usual really enjoyed my fish and chips dinner, and also the kids really enjoyed their postman pat box and colouring pencil gift. great customer service too.

1  Thank Adele C
Mike S, Owner at Shaws Fish and Chips of Dodworth, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thanks for your lovely review

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Nice but child portions now commonplace on regular visits and that is the main draw of a chippy surely

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently increased our cod portion size to 6oz uncooked weight. As for the chips, we recently introduced a small portion of chips which we didn't offer before. So the portions are now a small, regular or large. If you used to ask for a small then you would have got regular portion. Now we offer small for £1.10 then thats what you now get. Please be sure to ask for a regular portion. Please be assured we have not reduced the weight of our portions. Hope that helps, please try use again and let me know.