“Bad food,bad service.”

The Fairway, Barnsley
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
“Bad food,bad service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Didn't stop in the hotel but I have been in the restraunt quite a few times the last time we visited we ordered my 4 year old daughter the Yorkshire pudding starter which looked lovely she didnt eat it all it was very large for such a small child so my husband decided to finish It he bit into it only to find a drawing pin in the food I am not a person to complain but I quietly called over a member of staff to explain what I had found he did apologise asked if we would like a free round of drinks to this I said no I was driving couldn't really see the point he said he would tell the kitchen staff and that was that no one else came over to apologise I've worked in customer service all my working life and I feel that there response to this finding was disgusting and we won't be eating there no more and believe me if my little girl would have been the one to have found it in her mouth the whole restraunt would have known well out of order rubbish customer service your staff need some training.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane0704

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
St Ives, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We recently stayed for the weekend. The accommodation was comfortable, clean, budget accommodation and didn't really have any complaints. The room didn't have a hair dryer and we had to go to reception for one but that was the only down side of the room. You get what you pay for! The pub is well decorated and has a nice atmosphere. Can be noisy with families but that wasn't a problem either. The problem was the food and in particular the breakfast! The food was luke warm, the vegetables were almost raw and the fish was smothered in sauce. We arrived to breakfast and were told there was no sausage which again didn't bother us but couldn't understand how a hotel would run out of sausage. We were told we could help ourselves to continental breakfast but the choices were extremely poor. Tea was ready made up in a jug and was stewed. We then overheard a waitress asking someone how they wanted their eggs cooking.......we were never given that option. My overall opinion is that I would stay in the hotel again but would definitely not eat there again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank merrills47
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

for years we visited this establishment. under its old name of the bluebell inn, all of a sudden it went down hill. We visited it recently under the new management. We found a marked difference (for the better) good food, very good service and a very friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BXDean
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed 2 nites. Pyjamas got infected with bed bugs

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 431BERT

Travellers are raving about these Dodworth hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I have not stayed at this hotel its the restaurant the decor is really nice now its had a name change and updated but the carvery is dreadfull,I went just before Christmas it was cold I ask if the would pop it in the micro way but they said no would I like some thing else all well and good,but then one of the kitchen staff came out with his thermometer stuck right to the bottom were the container is on the heat and said its 70 degrees,does he not know that the customer is always right and does know if food is cold or not. This is not the first time I have been served cold food in this restaurant and be given a fob off, I had not been back for a long time but throught give them another chance never again will visit, the Toby just down the road or visit the Ring O Bells in Silkstone much better food and its hot.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank avrilwiltravel
Alfreton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Second time of staying here, the first earlier in the year was very good so we decided to stay again to celebrate our daughters birthday. We booked a double and twin room. Our double room was ok but not cleaned well, bathroom floor dirty and bedroom carpet not vacumed. The twin room bed area carpet had a lot of glitter on it, clearly also not vacumed. Considering my daughter and grandaughter are adults it seemed a shame to put them in a room which either side was family rooms, the children in both were allowed to run around the room shouting and screaming until very late with their parents constantly telling them off. The rooms were on the first floor which needs some serious work in preventing the floor boards creaking loudly with every step both in the corridor and rooms. The cleaners arrived just after 7am and were constantly creaking the floor boards outside our room (not their fault) but also constantly talking loudly (definitely their fault).

Moving on from that experience to the bar/restaurant - one word pathetic. The bar was about a third full so not really busy as most were eating from the carvery. We ordered our meal off the menu, 1 hour and ten minutes later no food had arrived. The young man who took our order kept walking past us and did not realise this (retraining issue I think). Eventually I approached him and cancelled the order in disgust and we ate at another pub down the road. Second night was no better, we thought this could`t happen again but did, we sat waiting for menus, eventually a young man from the bar came over asked us if we were eating, yes please was the reply from us, he went away, came back a few moments later threw the menus on our table and said someone will take your order (how rude - another training issue I think). 20 minutes later we were asked what we wanted, we reluctantly ordered and guess what, 1 hour later still no food. We walked out of the bar and whilst my family packed I complained to the receptionist (not her fault) and informed her we were checking out to which she apologised and gave me a complaints form. It took 20 minutes for us to pack and leave which allowed that time for someone from the management to approach us - guess what, yes you are right no sign of any.

We sat opposite the kitchen doors and witnessed a chef tasting the food with his finger, lucky escape then by not receiving any food.

On a positive note we arrived home at our favourite pub in time to order a meal which was delivered swiftly, with courtesy and was delicious. Perhaps the staff of the Fairview ought to visit The Boundary in South Normanton, Derbyshire to learn how to run a successful business in which guests feel valued.

In conclusion, on the way from the motorway to the hotel we passed a sign saying budget hotel 1 mile, budget it certainly was!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kenneth C
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Stayed here as we were attending a function in the nearby banqueting centre. The room was spacious with everything you would expect for the price. One minor problem with a radiator was fixed immediately when we contacted reception.
Breakfast was less impressive, lukewarm and not worth the price. If I were to stay here again I would take breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
Wortley Hall
Wortley Hall
#1 of 1 in Wortley

Been to The Fairway, Barnsley? Share your experiences!