“What a shame ”

Ranked #6 of 10 Restaurants in Dodworth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

After seeing that's this restaurant was near by when visiting my friend this week and the right ups and awards it had won I was looking forwards to visiting. When I phoned and booked I informed them of having a taste card there was no stipulations mentioned on the site or mentioned by the restaurant themselves but upon going to pay they said the taste card can't be used as we didn't have a starter no where was this mention. Also showed them another offer by the gourmet society that was but one main get one free that was the stipulation but they still said neither offer could be used. It seems that the restaurant con people in to the restaurant but then no offers are aloud to be used. The food was nothing special and the manager was very rude not even listening to us then just commented saying " people who have these cards always complain" maybe if he actually gave the offers he was advertising online then they wouldn't complain or make sure he clearly states the stipulations in redeeming the offer. I won't be visiting here again. I think it should be removed from taste card as they are not keeping to their side of the bargain!

7  Thank Blueberry84

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

A bloody good curry. Starters excellent. Fabulous methi ghost. The wife and sister made similar noises about their garlic chicken and duck curries. The only areas of suggestion were the parathas. Not the best I've ever had but more than adequate.
The meal, ambience and atmos were all fabulous even if the mean was a little expensive by comparison tp other local restos of similar type.
Highly recommend.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

After seeing on the Tastecard website that Dilraj were participating in the Tastecard offer scheme, we thought we would take advantage of it and go for an inexpensive meal at Dil Raj - How wrong we were!

The Tastecard website states; "2 meals for the price of 1 is available for two people only and is across all courses ordered; the cheapest or equivalent dish of each course being free" (Tastecard website, March 2014).

Yet when we arrived, and were about to place our order, we were told that Dil Raj's policy is that you must buy a starter each and a main course each, just to receive one free main course!

As the place was like a cattle market, we were still waiting in the bar area while we looked at the menu. A starter price averaged £4-5, so in other words, we had to pay another £10 for 2 starters we didn't want, to get a main course for free! How is that an offer?

I also noticed that the price of rice was £3.50 and a curry was about £8-14. Not cheap!

After stating the terms and conditions directly from the Tastecard website, the waiter was unapologetic and unaccommodating, so we paid for the overpriced drinks and left. I will never going back and will do everything I can to deter anyone I know from wasting their money there.

We went down the road to another Indian which the total bill cost £21 - 2 meals, unlimited water, rice and nan to share and a jug of mango lassi - That just shows what a rip off Dil Raj is - when we totalled up that the total cost at Dil Raj would have been £40 - and that's with the "offer"!!!

9  Thank Claire-louise B
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Dil Raj has become our Indian restaurant of choice
The staff are welcoming and friendly, and we are usually greeted by "gorgeous George", who will put a smile on your face on the coldest of Barnsley evenings.
The menu is extensive and features a host of "specials"
I can recommend the jal murgh and the starters are many and varied
The restaurant has won many awards, and George has a community award too.
Prices won't break the bank, and there's a choice of two Indian draft beers also.
If you are a two or three course eater, the management will present you with a special deals card for next time you visit.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Went last night for the first time as a group.. Brought pickle trays out when we didn't even ask for them and charged each person £5 on top of the bill.. Food was pretty average for what you pay very plain.. After the meal it came to pay for the bill, the restaurant was told people had vouchers but he wouldn't accept any of them.. Also when asked to charge people separate for the meal the member of staff said "don't care just want your money".. My advise is don't go you will get ripped off!!

3  Thank Adambentley1991