“Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 10 Restaurants in Dodworth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have been to this restaurant a number of times over the years and enjoyed the food, but have not been for approx. 5 years, until last week.

We were very disappointed with the food, service and price.

First of all they took us through from the bar area to a table that had not been cleaned, normally this would not bother me but it was one of many things that was not great. Then when taking our order the waiter broke off to have a conversation with another waiter, three of the main meals and side orders came out together, the other was another 5 minutes before that came out. The curry was very bland and not what I had ordered. We asked for another drink which did not arrive, I enquired where this was and was told we could have the drinks as long as we vacated the table back to the bar area, this was not an issue other than the bar area was full of dirty glasses.

There were four of us, we had a starter each, curry and side dish and drinks, most were non alcoholic, I could not believe it when the bill came and it was approx. £115. I would have thought this expensive even it the food and the service was fantastic.

The only good comment was the starters were nice.

2  Thank MMBBBradford

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We've just had a takeaway from here and it was delicious. We will definitely be going back and hopefully eat in the restaurant. They have a restaurant menu and takeaway menu. Our order took 20 mins and was still hot when we got it home. Would definately recommend.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I think I've reviewed this before but felt the need to let everyone know what a gem this is. Whenever I'm in the area I pop in. Extensive menu but have never had a bad meal yet. Very friendly staff. Looking forward to going again next week! You need to book at a weekend.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Love this place. Had my hen night here and visited with friends and family, whom love it here too. Really great place. Superb food.

1  Thank Susan A
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband visited Dil Raj last night.
We called in advance as we have a diners card which requires prior booking, and upon speaking to the waiter on arrival we were informed that they wouldnt honour the offer stated on the diners card, which was 2 for 1 across all courses, despite the fact they have an agreement with the diners card company AND the diners card ONLY offer two deals two for one or 50% off the total food bill. We let this slide rather than argue over a few pounds, and continued to order.
I had the prawn puree (prawns in a sauce on a paratha). The prawns were the dryest I have ever eaten, to the point of brittleness, I would even say very close to a dried prawn.
For the main course I had a garlic chicken Karai, which should be a medium heat dish, but had no heat at all, in fact I was convinced that theyd left the chilis and other hot spices out by accident. The waiters explanation was that "people in this village like a more medium textured food", which I interpreted as they make their curries less spicy due to demand for such. They brought back the curry and again it was still virtually devoid of any heat. They then just brought me a saucer of chili paste to mix into the curry myself. I might add that I usually stick to medium curries in most restaurants, im not someone who likes hot curries, so it wasnt down to a taste issue.
The other point that shocked me was the price of the chapatis, £2 for one! Thats double the average price of any Indian restaurant I have ever been to, at least!

Overall, my experience was not good, the food is mediocre and poorly spiced, and for this the restaurant seem fit to charge extortionate prices for. I would not recommend if you enjoy Tandoori cuisine.

4  Thank Meanderingmushroom