“willis”

Ranked #2 of 5 Washford B&B and Inns
Taunton, United Kingdom
“willis”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We have stayed here twice so far. . The service is great. The food was fantastic..we have booked again for valintines. To sleep and a eve meal. We can't wait as its a very friendly pub. ,and we were made to feel very welcome. Prices are good also. And lots to look at with the views and animals. Horses are friendly also,

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Teddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

An enjoyable stay in a local pub. It was busy with friendly locals giving it a vibrant and warm atmosphere. The room was comfortable and had all we needed. The breakfast was excellent, served quickly and with a very convivial host.

Room Tip: If you plan eating, think about booking a table.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lastchanceever
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed in Room 1 for one night. The inn itself is incredibly pretty on the outside, with a stream and an outdoor eating area across the road. There is also a paddock with goats and horses that are very friendly and that you are able to pat. Plenty of parking was also available.

We enjoyed a pleasant dinner in the pub in the evening. It seemed very popular, and some of the meal options were sold out (that said, there were still vegetarian options available). The pub is very atmospheric and full of warmth.

The room was clean and comfortable, although we could not get the shower/bath to work properly (no hot water). The wifi signal was also very bad. As we were leaving too early for breakfast, we chose the takeaway breakfast option, which they prepared and gave to us in the evening before we left.

Decent price, would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We stayed one night in November and thoroughly enjoyed the evening dinner, had a comfortable night and a good breakfast at 9am. We were pleasantly surprised to find lots of towels, toiletries and even a hairdryer in our room. The TV and radio all worked. The ambience of the pub was lovely - all little lights, low ceilings and gentle murmur of conversation. The waitress was excellent. The owner was very friendly. Would we stay here again - of course!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night, very basic, tiny television, incredibly noisy plumbing, no breakfast though we had ordered it and paid for it. We could not find any member of staff to speak to at 08.30 and when we emailed the manager to make him aware of this, his response was belligerent and sarcastic.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CanoeSevern
bristol UK
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at this B&B for 5 nights as a special treat for my birthday. You can check in from 5.30 but we left early not wanting to waste my birthday day and we were able to check in at 3.30 which was great. For 4 days I thought the man who checked us in was the owner and although he was perfectly polite and told us what we needed to know there was no smile or warmth. I always like to feel welcome if I stay somewhere. The room (5) was huge with plenty of storage space, an enormous bathroom with corner bath lots of nice toiletries, Great bed and TV and very nice tea coffee and biscuits, But the best thing was the great view over the very pretty garden with a running river and weir. Loads of flowers, animals like goats and horses cats and chickens. It was gorgeous.
I couldn't get the shower to work properly and actually burnt my chest twice with the silly thing! I wanted to ask the man if there was a knack to it but he was unapproachable and I felt embarrased asking about it at the bar so left it.
I have the sort of hair that needs conditioner that you can't get out properly in the bath.
My other issue was with food. I hadn't realised it was too far away from anywhere else to walk to. I like having a glass of wine when getting ready for evening meal but as vegetarians staying in a place with just one set choice on the menu I was scared to have a drink incase I needed to drive elsewhere, for two days that made me so miserable and frustrated. They seem to have a specials board with another veggie option on it but that's not put up until the late afternoon. It would appear the whole of that area of somerset is a vegetarian nightmare TBH. We had a job finding anything remotely decent anywhere. Having said that though the main choice on the menu the mushroom strogonoff was very nice and one special we had a tomato tart with brie was delicious. Why can't there be more than one choice on the menu though?
Breakfast was a much more fun experience, the young waiter called Tom was perfect, fun and happy. He made the whole holiday. I read a review here that said the chef was happy to supply vegetarian sausages... well they don't. No idea how he'd got them. We did have very nicely cooked eggs and mushrooms though. It was here we discovered that the breakfast chef was the owner. A really nice friendly guy who explained that the room I was in was a BATHROOM not a shower room, the shower didn't work due to chronic low water pressure in the area. I understood then and resigned myself to having awful hair. He told us we could go feed the goats (the barman said we couldn't) he told us about the Inn and the area and made us feel really welcome.
We had a great time at Washford and I hope my review is fair. It's a very pretty delightful place, we loved sitting in the garden on an evening drinking wine and watching the trout jump from the water and feeding the goats little treats. I would highly recommend this place to anyone, if you're vegtarian... well TBH not sure you'll fair better anywhere else except maybe Minehead and if you have long hair get a shower room not bathroom, although you will miss the joys and views of room 5.

Room Tip: room 5 but you do get running river noise which personally we loved.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lifeastrin
Hythe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This was our third visit and we were not disappointed. The rooms have now been upgraded and are comfortable, clean and equipped with TV and tea/coffee making facilities. We even had two armchairs. The bathroom with over bath shower was brightly lit with plenty of fresh white towels and toiletries provided. Breakfast was excellent, with choice of full English or any combination cooked to order, plenty of toast, large orange juice and quantities of coffee/tea, all served with a smile. There was a wide variety of evening food to choose from, which again was of a very high standard, served by friendly staff who ensured that you were completely satisfied. We did have problems with Internet connection, however were able to connect via owner's private WiFi. The White Horse is a small, comfortable pub, very friendly owner and staff and extremely good value for money. We will certainly return and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washford
The Luttrell Arms
#18 of 37 in Minehead
Dunster Castle Hotel
Dunster Castle Hotel
#2 of 11 in Dunster

Been to The White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!