“Just the best B&B ever - you must visit.”
Review of Liongate House

Liongate House
Ranked #1 of 1 Ilchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed at this B&B for 4 nights with my son who had local work experience. I was able to drop my bags of early 09:30, after dropping my son at work.
I had advised Liz and Graeme of my dairy and wheat intolerance and that I was happy with the standard breakfast of bacon and eggs. Liz and Graeme made enquiries with their local butcher and later purchased some Gluten Free sausages. Upon my return later that day I also found Gluten free biscuits in my room. The following day I enjoyed a full breakfast together with Gluten free fruit bread. It was heaven.
The family room was exceptional and has plenty of storage space for clothes for the week. It has a private bathroom off a small corridor, within the family suite. The bathroom is beautifully clean and the power shower is hard enough to wake up any teenager early in the morning!
The house is spotless and a very warm welcome was received each morning, although Graeme seemed to live in cupboards and just appear from them!! The bed is very comfortable and there were no complaints from my son either. There are also beautifully kept gardens too, which residents have the use off.
My husband joined me for a day and was disappointed he was not able to enjoy a stay at the house due to work commitments.
My son and I were made to feel very welcome throughout our stay and nothing seemed too much trouble for Liz or Graeme. I was allowed access to their kitchen to make my son's packed lunch every evening. again, they went out of their way to help with this.
Liz and Graeme are two of the most friendly people I have had the pleasure of meeting and are very passionate about their house and business. I cannot recommend this B&B enough.
I only live 1 1/2 hours drive away but will be returning soon.
Thank you once again for making us both feel very welcome and providing fantastic service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
stoojudy, Owner at Liongate House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Wow Claire, what can I say! What an amazing review, thank you so much for all your kind words.
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and it really was a pleasure having you and your son here. We really do enjoy running our B and B and we want all our guests to feel at home.
We do hope we will be able to welcome you back to Liongate House in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We phoned ahead to say we would be arriving late - no problem and they even called the restaurant we had booked to explain and hold our table. Lovely hosts - an ice cold lager and a glass of red wine after a 4.5hr drive from Essex was a nice touch!
We had stayed there last year and the new owners make you feel so welcome, nothing is too much trouble.
Fantastic freshly cooked breakfast with local produce, lots of fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurts and home made jams.
Thoroughly recommend Liongate House - we'll be back, hopefully next time for longer!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz B, Owner at Liongate House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovley review. I know you had stayed here before we bought Liongate House and we are so pleased you were equally as happy with your visit this time. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Liz and Graeme have a wonderful B&B. Although it is in a very nice old stone building, the rooms are entirely modern with lovely amenities. Our large and very comfortable bedroom room had the most up-to-date and spacious bathroom of our trip. And the hosts could not be more welcoming, helpful and gracious. They directed us to an excellent dinner in the beautiful little village of Ilcheste where the B&B is located. We were offered tea and cake in their beautiful garden as soon as we arrived in the afternoon. Breakfast was excellent. We were made to feel entirely comfortable and recommend this place very highly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and could not fault it. Room was immaculate, beautifully furnished, well equipped and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was probably the best we have had. The owners are very welcoming and it is their attention to detail that makes this such a good place to stay. Within ten minutes of arrival we were offered a hot drink and cake. If you are visiting the area or simply wanting a stopover then we certainly recommend staying here, we will certainly return. Karen & Darrin

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We were attending an event in the area and thought it would be nice to make a short break out of it so I chose the Liongate House based on Trip Advisor reviews. We were not disappointed. We have paid more for ‘boutique hotels’ and been left wanting, but not so here. I booked on line via their website which was easy. The directions were easy to follow and there is plenty of parking on site. We received a very warm welcome from both Liz and Graeme. I can normally find a few improvements to be made on a room, but none here. The room (well, the whole property) is decorated and furnished to a very high standard and is spotlessly maintained. It was built as a B&B so it’s been designed to suit purpose. We stayed in the Stratton Room which has a separate single room attached to it which was just perfect for getting our daughter to settle down at night. The room and bathroom were nice and warm. Plenty of attention has been given to details like the provision of a good quality hostess tray with a nice selection of drinks and biscuits (and even some chocolates!). Fresh milk was also provided in a mini fridge downstairs, together with a few cans of drink and filtered water which was very impressive. There were a few books and DVDs available in the room too, which again were very welcome. One day Liz even brought some extremely tasty (home made?!) chocolate brownies up to us. It’s little touches like these that are unexpected but really thoughtful and do make all the difference. Breakfast is plentiful and extremely tasty. Where possible and appropriate the produce is locally sourced, Fairtrade or freshly made etc – there’s nothing like freshly made bread (white and brown!) and homemade jam for breakfast! We were welcome to use the garden, which we didn’t do as such but we did have a little look around and it’s lovely. It would be a lovely space on a sunny day to while away an hour or two on the lawn with a drink of something in hand! Liz and Graeme are very friendly, genuine people. Nothing is too much trouble and we had lovely chats with them about this and that. They haven’t been at the B&B all that long, but I wish them all the best with it because they are doing such a great job at making people feel so welcome. We would recommend Liongate House to anyone.

Room Tip: If you have a young child or baby, try and get the Stratton Room as it has a separate single room wi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Liz B, Owner at Liongate House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Hi Amy. Well what can I say? Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review.
Both Graeme and I were very touched by your lovely comments. It was an absolute pleasure having you and Phil to stay with us and also your lovely daughter Jess. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found the family room so comfortable. Perhaps we will see you again should you choose to visit Ilchester. Wishing you all the very best. Liz

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Excellent!!!!!! Everything you would ever need, the attention to detail was fantastic. Food was superb, homemade jams and produce from the garden. Wow!!!!! Liz and Graham were exceptional hosts. Would advise well worth a stay. Cannot wait to stay again.

Room Tip: Research, research, research. Read reviews if possible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Liongate House is a beautiful Bed & Breakfast and we couldn't of asked for more. Attention to detail was fantastic and our every need was catered for. Breakfast was lovely in particular the sausage and bacon. Was all of high standard and have to say we had a very pleasant stay. Liz and her husband were exceptional hosts. There are a couple of pubs, italien and take aways a short walk and we ate at the Ilchester Arms. Food was beautiful and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Jodiech
stoojudy, Owner at Liongate House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we would welcome you back anytime.
Liz and Graeme

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilchester
Northover Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Odcombe
The Keep
The Keep
#3 of 29 in Yeovil

Been to Liongate House? Share your experiences!