“Bad Manners & Jobsworth staff”

Fleet Air Arm Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Ilchester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Fleet Air Arm Museum will thrill the whole family. Get up close and personal with Europe's largest collection of Naval aircraft and see the first British Concorde.You'll 'Fly' by helicopter to the replica flight deck of the Ark Royal where two enormous projection screens show aircraft taking off and landing. Witness an air sea rescue when a Buccaneer is lost over the side into the sea. There's even a nuclear bomb.Situated alongside RNAS Yeovilton, you may also see aircraft flying in and out.Visit The Fleet Air Arm Museum. The thrill is being there. Opening hours 10:00 am to 4.30pm November until March and 10:00am to 5.30pm April to October.
Fareham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Bad Manners & Jobsworth staff”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stopped at FAA Museum for break & meal & a trip down memory lane (48 years MOD,30 of in Fleet Air Arm). Weather was boiling hot we passed the picnic areas & took a seat in the shade in the outside area of the cafe area . It was 1130 am & there were no other customers . The staff were preparing lunch but breakfast was still being served . As I was ordering my wife was informed by a poker faced jobsworth that dogs were not allowed . As we had come from dog friendly Cheddar where the customer friendly helpful staff let dogs into the caves ,most cafes & shops (We are dog friendly gorge company who can't afford to turn down the tourist pound , unquote ) I would suggest that the museum management should send their staff to Cheddar for a customer relations course . The museum must be very well off or it must lose a lot of tourist trade . We took our money elsewhere & I recommend all other dog owner tourists to do the same . Its a shame I am part of that history but I will never be back . Well done jobsworth a museum is where you belong.

4 Thank Ian G
FAAMUS, Manager at Fleet Air Arm Museum, responded to this review, 17 December 2014
Thank you very much for your comments.

The Museum has a strict policy regarding dogs in and around the Museum site. It is with regret that we do not allow dogs either into the Museum galleries, or the adjacent Swordfish Restaurant and exterior family picnic area (unless guide or support dogs).

However, our policy should have been communicated to you in sympathetic manner and I am sorry that this appears to have not been the case. We pride ourselves on maintaining a high standard of customer service and we will do all we can to ensure that this does not happen again.

We hope this will not deter you from visiting the Museum in future.

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Unexpectedly enjoyable”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband wanted to visit this attraction and I expected to be bored, but wasn't. There are four halls containing everything from a pre-production Concorde to some really old planes. However the thing I found really interesting was the simulation of a Flight Carrier, one first enters a simulation of a helicopter, and are taken on to the flight deck. From there you pass through all areas of the ship with a T.V presentation explaining each part to you. I learned so much from this and now when I see one on T.V I will know so much more.
One tip taxpayers can gift aid the admission fee which gives them free entrance for a year, can't be bad!!

2 Thank janetG2239JY
Gillingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“FIRST CLASS TREATMENT”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED. We are members of the mazda rx8 car club and stopped off at the swordfish restaurant at fleet air museum. We had around 25 members with us on our day out driving our cars and arranged with Erwin to make this a stop off point for refreshments etc. We arrived on the 8th june 2014 with plenty of parking available so we could line up our cars to take a photo. We then went into the restaurant where as promised an area had being reserved for us.
The restaurant was very clean with a very good selection of food available and the staff were very courteous. As we said our good byes I thanked them personally and they really appreciated this and said they hope we would visit again. Thank you to Erwin and the team of staff for helping everything run smoothly.

We will certainly return in the future. of course if you are actually going into the museum make sure you give yourself 3+ hours at least

1 Thank AZAM C
Newquay, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Childhood memories came flooding back”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I used to go the FAA all the time when I was a kid, either with my Dad when my parents were back in this country, or relatives on weekends away from boarding school. As such, when travelling back from Southampton the other week, myself and my wife thought it was time to take our 11 year old son to visit it.

The museum hasn't changed a lot since I used to go as a kid - sure there are some bits which have been updated and some newer technological gizmos, but the basic museum is the same. There were bits that were being updated whilst we were there so we couldn't see everything, but it was wonderful wandering around the museum with my son, seeing the aircraft I used to marvel at when I was his age, and soaking it all in.

The Aircraft Carrier experience is also very good - it takes a while but is very interesting.

Already looking forward to our next visit - thank you RNAS Yeovilton for not changing!

1 Thank Dave N
Pakenham, United Kingdom
575 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 247 helpful votes
“Very informative”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

£13.50 (August 2013) price and you can easily spend 5-6 hours here if you visit every part. Plenty of planes, helicopters, and naval vessels to look at. The Museum comprises four large halls and it's best to work out a plan of attack as it does get busy at weekends.

Slight let down was the Carrier experience and the Concorde was basically only a test model so no seats. Exhibitions were very informative and each plane was extremely well detailed.

Visited August 2013