“Going the extra mile”

The Ilchester Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ilchester
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for a Saturday night as we were attending a wedding a few miles from Ilchester. My partner booked it over the phone at the last minute and we were very glad we did. We arrived early as we needed to get changed for the wedding, not a problem. The room wasn't fully made-up but we could use it to put our luggage away and get changed, they did the rest whilst we were out. The family room was quirky but clean and comfortable, the smallest one loved the cupboard room with a bed in it, he thought it was great to have his own "room". My highlight however was a member of bar staff on the Saturday night. As I had to drive back from the reception (no way were we paying the quoted £60 for a cab) I was hoping to catch last orders at the bar for a proper drink. Having checked what ales were available before we left, when we got back at 23:00 I got my partner to order me a beer whilst I checked the offerings from the Bull Inn pub across the square. The Bull had a favourite beer of mine so I ordered it and cheekily asked if I could take it across to the Ilchester Arms as my partner and kids were there. Not a problem. Sat in the Ilchester Bar I was asked why I had 2 pints so I said 1 was from the Bull, again, no problem. After I'd finished 1 of them, the barmaid from the Bull came in and asked if I'd like another one, delivered from across the square. I couldn't believe it, what service to bring beer from another pub!

Breakfast in the morning wasn't too early and was really nice, the sausage particulary. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I ever find myself needing a bed in SE Somerset.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
ilchesterarms, Owner at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

we try to have four different ales on at the bull and ilch bars for this reason I am pleased all staff responded in the positive manner that they did especially well done Louise
the sausages are from our fresh pork farmer called Hamish he uses his mothers old recipe I would tell you but he would have to kill me .
hope to meet you all again give us a call and we will try to have your fav beer on again
thanks lucy

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here for a function nearby. Great communications on phone, they let me check in early and even drove me to my engagement free of charge!! The room was spacious and very nice. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Cornishboy72
ilchesterarms, Owner at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

it was lovely to help and hope to see you again ,
lucy

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here to attend a wedding at a nearby country house.Bed was a bit soft but slept OK anyway. Room was at the back so no noise from the road. Breakfast was the only meal we had there and I cant fault it. Tasty and not greasy. Room was clean and tidy but only one large towel was supplied (and one cup and one glass). Typically, didnt notice the towel situation until we were having our showers in the morning. Ah well, there are worse things than drying with a wet towel.
Staff quite friendly and helpful. Great little village, well placed to visit the Fleet Air Arm Museum just up the road. Thought this was slightly overpriced but good all the same.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ilchesterarms, Owner at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

I apologise on the towel and cup/glass situation this was an over site by the chambermaid she to apologised
I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast and we are very lucky to live in a lovely little village with some great attractions, have you tried Haynes museum they have had a massive re fit and well worth a visit,
thanks for your feed back Lucy

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Excellent..... We'd booked the rooms as a stop over - we were attending a family wedding the following day at a country house nearby - but couldn't stay there until the evening of the wedding.
The Ilchester Arms Hotel was recommended to us by a relation who lives 5 miles away.
We were all made very welcome, nothing was too much trouble from the staff. We'd booked three double rooms etc for the one evening. We were all very pleased with our accommodation. The beds were really comfortable and huge.. furniture etc spot on.. bathrooms top notch... lovely hot showers too.
Although the Hotel is right on the main road, the traffic outside was hardly heard.
Lovely little village.
Spacious rear car park.
Excellent breakfast.
Will definately book again .............

Room Tip: We were moved from our initial room as the door lock had developed a problem. The second room we wer...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Geoff S

so the double glazing is helping with noise which is good to hear,
and look forward to seeing you all again.
thanks lucy

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We booked 2 rooms, a double and a family for an overnight stay. It was Sunday to Monday.
It was a shame they did not do food on a Sunday evening, but we enjoyed a bar drink.
Both rooms were clean and nicely appointed.
The Family room was quirky with one of the beds, a single, placed in a small alcove fitting tightly. The little one didn't like it as it was too claustrophobic. But he ended up in the double with mum!
The rooms were nice, settee, big TV and the boys had a great time.
The double was at the front of the hotel (family room was at the back) and was clean, but lacked any seating.
Both rooms had tea and coffee facilities as well as free water.
Staff were very nice.
Breakfast was terrific, good value, and with two little boys with big appetites it was enjoyed greatly!
have stayed before under old management, this was a bit better, and is improving all the time.
Would stay again, most definitely.

Room Tip: Room 1 is at the front, but can be noisy due to passing traffic in the morning.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
ilchesterarms, Owner at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

we have just brought some comfy seats for the rooms and the landing between rooms 1and 2 .
we have put double glazing in the front windows of the hotel so the noise is less but you are right the road out side can get busy in the week days.
we hope you return and try our restaurant during the week .
lucy

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The hotel/pub was in a great position.The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.We had dinner in the pub and I would recommend the burger it was one of the best I have had.The waitress Sophie was very attentive and had a lovely manner.The breakfast was also good.Will return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

so pleased you enjoyed your stay and burger ,
Sophie is a joy to work with as well .

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We visited Ilchester for a family occasion, and could not be more delighted that we stayed at the Ilchester Arms. While always refreshing to come from the pace of city life to the gentler pace of Somerset, the staff and proprietor of the hotel were warm and gentle with their welcome, but swift and urgent in responding to all our requests -- both big and small.

We travelled with our two children, and not only found the room to be ideally suited to children, but - wonderfully - furnished with a beautiful doll's house, that kept my eldest busy for as much time as we spent in the room. The restaurant and facilities were splendid, and serve excellent food at mealtimes.

Nothing about the Ilchester Arms is cheap, neither is it too expensive - but expect excellent value for money, and a very pleasant stay. The only criticism I'd make, and this isn't for everyone I guess, is that Fairtrade coffee and tea wasn't offered.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
ilchesterarms, Owner at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

thank you we enjoyed your stay with us ,
your right we shall look into fair trade products,
and we look forward to seeing you all in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilchester
Northover Manor Hotel
5 mi away
The Hollies Hotel
The Hollies Hotel
#1 of 2 in Martock

Been to The Ilchester Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!