Northover Manor Hotel
Devonshire Arms(Langport)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewswedding receptionpleasant stayfirst classwedding partyfunction roomfollowing morningtwo night staygreat foodhis teamstayed two nightssaturday nightstaff were brilliantthis lovely hotelcar parkeach morningcooked breakfastcomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here recently for one night while working in the area. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was a decent size and well furnished (nice big shower!) with a good sized comfortable bed, and the food was very tasty with good portion sizes. The only negative I can add is that there was a musty/damp smell on the landing, and some of the corridors smelt of paint as they were repainting some areas. Not a huge fault at all, and not something that would put me off staying here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
normanSomerset, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thankyou for your comments. Over recent weeks we have suffered from the perception that Somerset is underwater and as a consequence this has impacted on room demand. The Coach House in which you were placed hadnt been used for a few weeks and although the rooms were aired and heated the corridor regretably didnt receive the same attention. Hence the need to decorate..
Overall I am thankful you enjoyed your stay and by the end of March most of the areas needing attention will be seen too.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is a lovely friendly hotel. We stayed here for one night, the staff couldn't of been more helpfully. The film posters add to the hotel, giving talking points. Very clean, The rooms are big enough, with all the facilities you need. The breakfast was lovely, couldn't fault this hotel

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
normanSomerset, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thankyou for taking the time to post your uplifting comments. Its great for staff morale and helps establish a positive tone for the day.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We picked this hotel by chance last night as the place we were scheduled to stay at was suffering a powercut. We drove into ilchester and decided to stay there as we thought it looked nice. We had a very warm welcome from Mark the owner, and he and Flic were very accommodating. The room (17) was well presented and clean with good facilities and a nice view. We stayed for dinner, and the food was fantastic. On top of this, the deal Mark gave us was fantastic value for money, especially as we had turned up without any pre-booking.
My only regret is that we didn't spend enough time at the hotel as we had to go to a party. Breakfast, again superb and all the staff were very jolly and polite. I would love to go back, to stay and to eat - this is what independent hotels should all be like.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

We would gladly welcome you back. !! Guest comments are always welcome but there is little as satisfying as content guests.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Over all not a bad place and the room looked tidy and tastefully decorated but it was so cold! The radiator was on but unable to heat the room sufficiently so I asked for an additional heater which i got but was told I had to switch off over night as it was a fire risk. Dutifully I did - then the main heating was switched off to at some point leaving my room freezing when i woke.
Renovations were being carried out and I leant against some wet paint on the way to my room - they helpfully washed my bag and then put up signs afterwards.
There were some unwelcome guests in my bathroom - slaters! Gross! I killed a couple when i got in and then another couple the next morning - not as bad as a cockroach I guess but still fairly unacceptable for what is supposed to be a high end accommodation.
Dinner was great, the coffee was of a poor standard.
Breakfast was good also but when I asked for a Mocha I was told the coffee machine was switched off??? So i asked instead for a hot choc but was told they were out and some would be delivered later that day - no help to me at all!
So over all it was ok ... no amazing and there's a weird american theme through out which runs in opposition to the rather tasteful decor. The staff were generally obliging.
For the price I'd look somewhere else - there is nothing worse than being cold. Come on people this is England in the middle of winter surely the concept of heating must have occurred to someone previously???

Room Tip: Bring a Jumper and your own hot choc
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
normanSomerset, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thankyou for your comments. Over recent weeks there are so many things that conspire it seems to work against us.
In saying that its great to receive a review that is an accurate evaluation of one's experience and a salient reminder of the standards we have set ourselves.
To that end we have a heating pump being replaced on Monday which I am told will improve the heat output. Hot Chocolate is now inplace which is of little comfort but we'd be delighted to serve complimentary should you return.
For us its currently a wrestle, environmentally and financially knowing quite what to do. With the flooding in Somerset some regular clients have been reluctant to send guests this way for very obvious reasons. As a consequence, heating the entire hotel can sometimes seem incredibly wasteful. However with some careful planning and attention to detail we shall endeavour to raise our game and meet guests expectations. We genuinely value your comments and strive to encourage your return. The slaters have been removed for the time being.
Regards
Mark

Reviewed 6 February 2014

What an awful experience. The room I was given had no heating, apart from a free standing electric heater, the annex we stayed in smelled of damp and the corridors were freezing. The room was tiny and I swear I could have sat on the toilet and showered at the same time..The partition walls were so thin, I could hear my neighbour`s every move and when he had a shower at 0600, any thought of a cosy lie in was scuppered because the shower was motorised. Surpisingly, the food at dinner was outstanding, top restaurant stuff. However, my guests and I knew we were being told to go to bed when the heating in the public areas was turned off at 2200 and by 2230, we were freezing. Would I stay here again? Not in a million years, would I eat here again? indeed I would.

Room Tip: Only one, dont stay here
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
normanSomerset, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear Sir Thankyou for your comments. We clearly managed to really upset you and for that I apologise , I am however delighted by the fact you enjoyed the food.
I take some comfort in the fact the guest who posted the review the day before you stayed in exactly the same room and found the experience what we would hope it to be. To that end I would very much like the opportunity of fixing things for you and should you find yourself in the area again would like the opportunity of redeeming ourselves. The girls on duty that evening thought you very pleasant and the company you were in. I will make a point of listening for the shower in Room 4 from room 3 over the next couple of days. As you may well be aware we are currently making a number of improvements througout the hotel and your timely comments may well be added to an increasing list.