“Great quality food and superb service”

The Plough Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: All our dishes are freshly prepared and home-cooked, our menu has been designed to celebrate traditional country pub style food, with hearty portions giving excellent value too. We do recommend that you book first as to avoid disappointment.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked a table around 4 days ahead of our Saturday evening meal.

We were efficiently and friendly welcomed at the bar and promptly shown our table. There were quite a few already dining in various of the rooms of the pub. After taking our drinks order we perused the menu, there was a great choice of starters, mains and desserts; It was quite difficult to decide what to have!

Once ordered we were offered a basket of warm bread and butter and a jug of iced tap water - a nice welcome touch. We enjoyed three courses of great well presented food. All enjoyable. Only perhaps one little thing I would change would be perhaps some crunchy crumbled homemade ginger biscuit served on top of the Rhubarb tiramisu, to improve the texture and sweeten the rather sharp rhubarb. I still enjoyed the desert though! Service throughout was very good.

Our three courses for two persons, 1 glass wine, two beers and a small bottle of sparkling water was £66.00 - which is inline with what we had expected to pay for the quality and service.

We shall certainly return to The Plough and look forward to recommending it to others.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We were visiting Hellifield Peel Castle and followed the links on their website to have a look at the Plough.

We booked in advance and ate in the restaurant bar, I had the black pudding/bacon starter and it was very good followed up by a ribeye steak that was cooked exactly as I ordered it, the service was very friendly.

Have a look at the conservatory floor, the old village well is covered over with a glass disc at is quite a novelty to have a look down.

There is a huge car park to the side/rear.

I see the previous review gives the place a bit of a spading, I can only comment on how I found it on the day, but I wouldn't hesitate to return if I was in the area.

8/10 on my score sheet.

1  Thank Muscot
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We ate in the restaurant on Friday 13th June . Myself and my partner ordered the steak and chips . It was £20 per meal and I thought that was quite expensive . I was halfway through my meal and noticed a black hair on the side of the plate , that put me off . But worse was to come , my partner was eating her handmade chips which she had saved until last and was halfway through them when she also found a long curly hair in her chips , she couldn't eat any more of her meal . I called the manageress over and she offered to remove the drinks from the bill , we only had an Appletise and a Lemonade . Although we got an apology with lots of excuses I would certainly never eat there again . The food was very poor quality and I had the feeling the manageress thought were trying to pull a fast one as we found foreign bodies in BOTH meals . All the staff were very polite , I have the feeling this place needs a new chef . It was highly rated be the hotel we stayed in . NEVER AGAIN !

1  Thank Davenport_Preston
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The Plough is well off the beaten path which may account for it being so quiet, there's certainly nothing wrong with the food! The four of us called in for a few drinks and some pub food and we were not disappointed.We opted to have a main course each in the bar,we had a lovely table and talked at some length with the owner, a really friendly lady who made us all feel very welcome.
There is a beautiful formal dining room which we will try at a later date and the pub has a number of bedrooms which I am told are very nice indeed.
Everyone enjoyed the evening and the well cooked and presented food along with a friendly landlady will ensure that we go back in the near future.

2  Thank Adrian S
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I have never had a bad meal at the plough my son had his wedding do there & my other half had a party both brilliant food & service is fantastic I often pop in for lunch or dinner allways beautiful the bedrooms are characterfull & well appointed breakfast good choice & again beautiful

2  Thank Phil R