“Very good hotel and food”
Review of The Plough Hotel

The Plough Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Wigglesworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst doing the 3 peaks. Hotel staff are friendly rooms are comfortable and well furnished and the sofas in front of the log fires were a nice welcome after the six hour drive to sit in front of and have a cuppa.
As for the food, fantastic and no wonder it was always fully booked really 5 star food! Fried breakfast was not to my liking far too much grease but apart from that cannot fault this place. We will be doing the 3 peaks again in a couple of months and this will be our first choice again. Really good stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Checked-in early evening after a days walking, it was during the month of May so the fires were lit, creating a warm welcoming atmosphere. After this good start our stay never looked back.

Good food, great staff and comfortable surroundings.

Given how small Wigglesworth is this is not a local pub it seems for anyone, so no 'regulars' standing at the bar giving off the vibe that this is their pub not yours.

If you're looking for a burger and chips pub grub, it's not for you. If like us, you want something a little bit special while still excellent value for money this is for you.

Last point, the breakfast is excellent. Cooked to order with no food festering under an aging heat lamp.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side have views of the Dales. Rooms on the South view the cottages opposite. Ta...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Just back from two nights here, and we had a lovely time. I thought £85 per night B&B was excellent value - as you can pay that in a Premier Inn etc and not get such service, or indeed such character. I stay away from home a lot for work and it compares more than favourably to any other place i have stayed in the last 12 months.

We were warmly welcomed by Phil, who conveniently had the bar open... perfect! Another plus was the fact that despite the fact that it was May, it was really cold outside, but we benefited from the two wonderfully large open fires roaring away in the bar and restaurant.
I was impressed with the room. Furnishings were modern and clean and there were some lovely finishing touches, a bowl of mints, fresh milk if you wanted it, Yorkshire Tea Bags, flannels (which is almost unheard of!!!) nice toiletries, and ..Yippee!!!! a bath, with flexible shower head so you can wash your hair without having a shower. I am not a shower person.

The bed was truly comfortable and TV, hairdryer etc all worked. Our room was at the front of the pub, but in all honesty this caused us no problems whatsoever. Our only noise issues were with some truly inconsiderate guests in Room 10 who thought it was great fun to get up at 5.45 on a Saturday morning and slam their door so loudly we never got back to sleep. Sadly, that's just the luck of the draw and not the responsibility of the hotel!
Breakfast was fine with a reasonable choice of cereals, pastries etc. I would have added natural yogurt to the choice available, but I rather have the feeling that if I'd asked for some, they'd have got it for me. My husband had the cooked breakfast and it was grand. The only (small niggle) was that the serving plates were so hot that the fried egg cooked solid before he could dip his toast in it! If you like runny eggs, I'd ask about that issue. I had porridge and it contained salt and it was runny... again this is not a criticism, merely a point of information... I like thick porridge without salt.. your preference may be different.
Our evening meals in the restaurant were amazing. Fish cooked to perfection on the first night and on the second night we both had slow roasted pork belly. Every mouthful of food on that plate was a trip to foodie heaven. Amazing.
I would advise asking for the menu to be explained to you, particularly the desserts (unless of course, you are more savvy than me!!). Deconstructed Banana Split left me somewhat bemused...My husband had techniques of Chocolate and Coffee.
The warm bread rolls really were warm and there was a choice of butters. Service was excellent.

Finally, just to say that this pub is in an excellent location with beautiful views and within easy reach of Skipton, Settle, etc.

My only small (and it's very small) piece of constructive advice would be to suggest that the music could be changed more frequently. By the tenth time I'd heard 'Tell Laura I Love Her' it was all getting a bit much.But maybe the Fifties/early Sixties are your thing and you will revel in it!!!

Anyway - musical preferences aside I would have no hesitation in recommending this place. Thanks to Phil and all the staff, we didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: Our Room was Room 11 (upper floor, front of pub) and furthest away from the stairs. This has a benef...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This was a last minute booking which cost £85 for bed and breakfast. Initially we did not want to pay this much but we're glad we did. It's in a lovely location and within east reach of Settle. Great for walkers. The rooms are very comfortable and clean and the food is amazing, great choice on both the evening meals and breakfast menu and a good price range. Evening meals ranging from £11 for fish and chips to £22 for a steak. Starters ranging from £4.50 to around £7. The dining area and bar are very cosy and have a great relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Enjoyed a delicious evening meal and a good hearty breakfast. The bedroom was very comfortable and spotless.The staff and especially the owners were very friendly .This was a perfect place to meet up with my family,roaring fires, good wines and ales etc.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Booked last minute! Pleasant surprise! As other reviews say staff very attentive! Food amazing! Cant remember having such high class meal for such a low price! Rooms warm and cozy! Importantly to us wasnt pretentious! Just felt management were happy to look after us

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Called here on Mothers Day after telephoning 30 min earlier to book and confirm a table. We were lucky enough to land a table even though it was busy. We have eaten here before so were aware of the excellent food and service. As I am gluten and dairy free the staff and management are very accommodating in making sure that meals meet my requirements. Had a delicious carrot and coriander soup followers by braised lamb which just melted in the mouth. The varied and plentiful amount of veg was more than sufficient. We,ll be back......

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Been to The Plough Hotel? Share your experiences!