We had a good 3 night stay here on a "special" offer. The whole experience was very good, but we left feeling that it could have been better. The location is superb and the views from the restaurant etc are stunning. All the staff are friendly, but there is just the feeling that they are not really organised. At both breakfast and dinner there were plenty of staff, but most of the time they seemed to be just standing around. The food was good,but the menu could have been altered a bit more frequently. (On one night all 4 starters included cheese)
The swimming pool and changing rooms were fine, the jacuzzi and the steam rooms seemed a bit cool for what they were.
The bar had a limited choice of british beers, with nothing local.
However all in all good value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Lastminute and Hotels.com so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland