“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Stopped for one night on a good cheap deal. Followed advice and booked the restaurant with our meal costing more than the room. Lovely building, friendly staff, vegetarian friendly. Spa a little in need of some upkeep but still lovely and clean with the pool under a glass roof on a hot day making it as good as being abroad. The bar in the conservatory is also nice and clean but if youre an ale drinker, head for the golfing lodge just 2 mins down the path.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Baldersby, Thirsk United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My wife and I booked Matfen Hall for our 25th wedding anniversary celebration. Despite the fact that we have been there many times, the hotel and staff still treated us as if it was our first visit.

From our welcome on arrival to our departure the next morning everything was perfect and far exceeded our expectations. We had gifts in our room and even a gift from a member of staff who was not on duty that evening. It made a marriage milestone a truly memorable occasion.

If you are looking for somewhere to have any kind of celebration, look no further.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the old side
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of all the team here at Matfen Hall, congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniversary!

I was delighted to read how well my team looked after you during your recent stay and your kind words are greatly appreciated - thank you!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall on many more occasions to come.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa
County Durham
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed at Matfen on a deal from Secret Escapes. Great value for money at £65 per night B&B for a classic room. We were greeted by a very pleasant and helpful receptionist.

The grounds to this hotel are really beautiful with lovely views of the extensive golf course. Our classic room was pleasantly decorated and extremely clean. Bathroom was lovely but the shower a bit small. We had drinks in the conservatory bar in the evening which was pleasant and staff were attentive.

My husband and I used the gym which was well equipped, but quite warm. We didnt use the spa or pool but did have a look at the pool area through the window and it seemed satisfactory, but not as luxurious as expected.

Unfortunatley we didnt have a very good sleep :( The room was really hot, despite the heating being off, and with no windows to open, we kept the balcony door open most of the night. The bed was quite uncomfortable too.

Breakfast was in the restaurant. There was a good choice of hot breakfasts on the menu and the continental style buffet was excellent. The Northumbrian breakfast was really tasty, i'd definatley recommend it. However, service was a bit slow. There appeared to be too many staff and not enough organisation.

Overall, a satisfactory stay for the amount we paid.

2 Thank ellielou20
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on our trip advisor website.

I am sorry you found your room too hot - at long last we have been experiencing beautiful sunny weather and therefore I'm afraid have little control over the temperature of our bedrooms. However, should you decide to stay again we can try to allocate a room which is cooler and we can also provide a fan for the room to hopefully give you some comfort.

I am delighted you enjoyed your breakfast and apologise for the lack of direction from my team. We have recently recruited a number of new staff and their training is on going.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed at Matfen Hall as an anniversary treat and sampled their Gourmet package. Our room was lovely with great views of the garden and golf course, a huge bathroom and a really comfortable bed. I was a little upset at first about the distance between the main hotel area and our room, but once I sampled the food provided in our deal I was glad of the exercise! The food was all delicious ( I would advise people to book early for afternoon tea and late for dinner to appreciate it properly), the staff were polite friendly and extremely welcoming. The spa and pool area was very nice but we hadn't realised that we had to book in advance of our stay, so we were limited in the treatments that we could have, we will know in future. Hoping to do it all again next year.

Room Tip: Upgrade if possible, golf course views are superb.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay at Matfen Hall and in particular, your dining experience with us. I shall ensure your kind words are relayed to my team - thank you!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall next year.

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We came here as part of a group but had extra nights and meals on our own. We were pleased on arrival to be upgraded to a terrace room which was very nice but I wouldn't have wanted anything less for a week's stay, even so storage space was insufficient for 2 people for a week . The bathroom adequate with a good shower. The swimming pool would be good if one could find a time when its not crowded - they do have times when children aren't admitted which is a good idea. The library restaurant is a lovely room with comfortable seating and great view over the park if you get a window table. Breakfasts were excellent, dinners were good if not outstanding. We thought the local lamb for example was well cooked and presented but bit lacking in flavour. Most of the staff were friendly and very helpful but let down by a few who did not seem to enjoy the work. A couple of times we had to wait to be served at breakfast as there was only one person who disappeared for long periods. The receptionists on arrival were extremely friendly and helpful but I had a big problem on checking out.
I tried to do so early as we wanted to get away but the bill was clearly wrong by a substantial amount in my favour. I then had to wait for a receptionist to come on duty and reboot the computer. She gave me another bill but it still had missing items and was more than £100 less than I thought I owed . Finally she produced a correct bill but seemed to be getting rattled and somewhat off hand with me.as though it was my fault. I could almost understand if I was complaining of being overcharged but In the end I paid over £200 more than I was originally asked and had waited nearly half an hour. The least I feel she could have done was thanked me for my honesty. This little graceless exchange marred our stay.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are cramped
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights. Our room was massive with dressing room and en suite. The bed was big and comfy.
The food was of very high standard as was the service.
The sunshine really made it a pleasant experience, we spent most of our time absorbing the views while sat outside the conservatory bar. Staff were really friendly and helpful, apart from the meathead in the gym.
The room was £158 through late rooms, however we clocked up £245 worth of food and drink in 2 days.
We had a really nice time here, my only gripe is the cost of the food and drink.

• Stayed June 2013
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Our four night stay there was very satisfactory and good value on a 'Secret Escapes' package. Our room was comfortable, quiet, clean and very well equipped. Staff were mostly pleasant and helpful (except for one who was sulky that we dared to ask for missing serviettes) and there was very good food in the restaurant. We didn't use the spa or pool as the pool really had room for only four swimmers and was often busy at the times we would have found convenient, but it did look delightful. The menu had some excellent choices, but not enough variety for a whole week's stay. Flavours were excellent. Service was efficient, although not as friendly fast, or accommodating to individual requests as our favourite hotel. The surrounding countryside is charming and the vista from the hotel over the golf course is impressive if rather open. We couldn't find that many footpaths for walkers starting from the hotel, though. The superb Great Hall, used for weddings could have been the model for Hogwarts and photos thrilled our grandaughter. . The hotel is located within a short drive from Hexham and Corbridge, both of which are worth a visit, and a cheap 40 minute rail trip from Hexham takes a scenic route down the Tyne valley to Newcastle. Further afield there are several places of interest along Hadrian's wall. Rothbury (Cragside), Alnwick and the golden beaches of the coast are an hour away.
Altogether we found it a very good place for a relaxing and enjoyable four days, and feel sure that it was be a fantastic location for a wedding.

2 Thank pdfisk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!