We stayed three nights at Matfen Hall as two couples and really set out to enjoy our time there. The views from any window are superb and we were really lucky with the weather. The restaurant was a lovely room – once a library – and had tremendous atmosphere despite being a little on the dark side.
The excellent food, wine and attentive service on our first evening gave us great confidence for the remainder of our stay. It was therefore a little disappointing to find that the menu stayed the same for all three dinners – a practice that seems prevalent in a number of hotels in this price bracket (think Q Hotels or Macdonald here) – and it was surprising that no variation was introduced by way of a ‘special’ to give clients having more than one overnight stay a little more choice.
To an extent, the same could be said for breakfast – the standard Continental / juice / breads and cereal table was supplemented by only 5 cooked options: porridge, Eggs Florentine, the Matfen (basically full English), Northumbrian (sausage, black pudding, apple and a rather half-hearted French Toast called “Geordie Eggy Bread”) or a kipper. No doubt one could request variants on these themes but it didn’t appear to be encouraged. Service here was a bit hit and miss – my Northumbrian breakfast was plonked in front of me before I had finished my cereal and I was obliged to finish it holding my bowl in one hand. I saw this happen to another table the following day and frankly was appalled. Table clearing was also somewhat haphazard.
The spa element of the hotel was let down by the fact that despite an impressive door proclaiming “Ice and Fire”, inviting guests into the sauna and steam rooms complex, there was precious little steam (one room remained out-of-order throughout our stay) and another cubicle seemed rather half-hearted. There was no ice at all.
The well-populated Jacuzzi was certainly functioning well and the swimming pool was pleasantly low on chlorine due in part to using UV filtration. The glass ceiling gives a great feeling of space and put us in mind of the magical ceiling in the great hall of Hogwarts.
The buildings making up the hotel are extremely gracious and make a wonderful setting for relaxation and celebration – (Matfen is very popular for weddings and corporate functions). Unfortunately these can be allowed to detract from the experience of other hotel guests as we found on out last evening, when the dinner service was both very slow and extremely patchy – the food was also not up to the previous nights’ standard, with some items obviously being skimped.
It is clear that there is a tremendous desire to make guests comfortable and at ease and there is equally a high level of discreet training taking part for the serving staff, all of whom were willing to engage with guests despite in some cases, English not being their first language. I applaud the efforts of the lady who was in charge of the restaurant and would like to single out Ewelina and Emma Lou for their easy grace with the clientele. The ladies who looked after our room (51) were also very efficient and proactive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland