“Very pleasant but not quite perfect.”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Stockport, UK
“Very pleasant but not quite perfect.”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed three nights at Matfen Hall as two couples and really set out to enjoy our time there. The views from any window are superb and we were really lucky with the weather. The restaurant was a lovely room – once a library – and had tremendous atmosphere despite being a little on the dark side.
The excellent food, wine and attentive service on our first evening gave us great confidence for the remainder of our stay. It was therefore a little disappointing to find that the menu stayed the same for all three dinners – a practice that seems prevalent in a number of hotels in this price bracket (think Q Hotels or Macdonald here) – and it was surprising that no variation was introduced by way of a ‘special’ to give clients having more than one overnight stay a little more choice.
To an extent, the same could be said for breakfast – the standard Continental / juice / breads and cereal table was supplemented by only 5 cooked options: porridge, Eggs Florentine, the Matfen (basically full English), Northumbrian (sausage, black pudding, apple and a rather half-hearted French Toast called “Geordie Eggy Bread”) or a kipper. No doubt one could request variants on these themes but it didn’t appear to be encouraged. Service here was a bit hit and miss – my Northumbrian breakfast was plonked in front of me before I had finished my cereal and I was obliged to finish it holding my bowl in one hand. I saw this happen to another table the following day and frankly was appalled. Table clearing was also somewhat haphazard.
The spa element of the hotel was let down by the fact that despite an impressive door proclaiming “Ice and Fire”, inviting guests into the sauna and steam rooms complex, there was precious little steam (one room remained out-of-order throughout our stay) and another cubicle seemed rather half-hearted. There was no ice at all.
The well-populated Jacuzzi was certainly functioning well and the swimming pool was pleasantly low on chlorine due in part to using UV filtration. The glass ceiling gives a great feeling of space and put us in mind of the magical ceiling in the great hall of Hogwarts.
The buildings making up the hotel are extremely gracious and make a wonderful setting for relaxation and celebration – (Matfen is very popular for weddings and corporate functions). Unfortunately these can be allowed to detract from the experience of other hotel guests as we found on out last evening, when the dinner service was both very slow and extremely patchy – the food was also not up to the previous nights’ standard, with some items obviously being skimped.
It is clear that there is a tremendous desire to make guests comfortable and at ease and there is equally a high level of discreet training taking part for the serving staff, all of whom were willing to engage with guests despite in some cases, English not being their first language. I applaud the efforts of the lady who was in charge of the restaurant and would like to single out Ewelina and Emma Lou for their easy grace with the clientele. The ladies who looked after our room (51) were also very efficient and proactive.

2 Thank RichardCP
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

I was sorry to learn of your disappointment in certain areas of the hotel and I would be happy to discuss this with you further. Please could I ask that you contact me direct at the hotel.

Thank you for your kind words regarding my staff and I shall ensure this is relayed to my team.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bernard Bloodworth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I booked spa weekend for my husband 40th birthday. I can't fault it. The staff couldn't do enough for us. We arrived early as our spa treatments were booked before we could check in and when we arrived they checked to see if our room was ready and it was. When we got to our room they had left a birthday card for my husband which we thought was really nice.

when we went for our evening meal all the staff wished my husband happy birthday and brought him a special dessert with happy birthday written on the plate.

It was fab. Was a lovely weekend and I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

the hotel is fab the surroundings are so relaxing and there was very few people in the spa which made the whole experience really relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest

Wow - what a great review - thank you!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall on many more occasions to come.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This was a good place to stay and I would stay again.the facilities are good and I enjoyed the pool. The breakfast was nice and substantial and set me up for the day. The place did have a few children about and made the pool a bit noisy. As usual with these places the bar prices were higher than town centre bars, but a short cut through the church yard brings you to the village pub, we had a great night in there with live jazz music and friendly locals.

2 Thank loloicaq
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We have had Sunday lunch and tea. Excellent value for money. Service was very good and the surrounding countryside was wonderful. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. No hesitation in recommending this.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

How lovely to hear what a relaxing and enjoyable afternoon you had at Matfen Hall recently. I shall ensure your kind words are relayed to my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

edinburgh
Reviewed 28 July 2013

short break spa and golf,hotel staff provide a tranquil ambience.
rooms require to be updated here and there not drastic just cosmetic
hot stone massage very good, staff very friendly and proffesional
golf course in excellent condition again staff in golf shop helpful, overall
a enjoyable stay. will return in the future with friends for a golf trip.
thank you to all staff.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Lovely place for a relaxing break,great staff who were well mannered and were wonderful with our one year old.
Classic rooms bit outdated,worth a package deal,not full priced.
Food lovely on every occaison ,breakfast good choice and cooked breakfast lovely,lunch in the conservatory tasty ,apart from scones from room service,which were apalling for a place of quality.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pumpousbear
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, it was great to read how much your family enjoyed your stay at Matfen Hall.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding your scones, however I have asked my Head Chef, to look at this with his team.

I do hope you will be able to join us again soon.

Northumberland
Reviewed 9 July 2013

As a family we certainly did celebrate in style a very special birthday and not one thing disappointed us from the brilliant staff, excellent rooms & service, the quality of the scrumptious food, the enjoyable spa facilities to the fabulous setting of Matfen Hall. You do Northumberland proud!!!
Congratulations to all concerned with this wonderful hotel you made a special occasion very memorable for the family, even our Great Dane was impressed.
From all off us we highly recommend Matfen Hall for any occasion or just a treat, we will certainly be returning ASAP.

Room Tip: Book your table for the restaurant before you arrive it gets busy.