“Fantastic!”

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We were invited to my girlfriend's cousin's wedding yesterday, 30th December. What a fantastic experience! From the moment we arrived, the staff were lovely and more than accommodating. The day ran really smoothly. The wedding breakfast meal itself was gorgeous. So tasty! And the service was impeccable.

The room we were given was fabulous. A really good night's sleep was had in the huge bed.

I would recommend to anyone planning their wedding, or even just having a night or two away, to book Matfen Hall. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Andrew M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
lucifer_84
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at Matfen Hall last night for a family wedding and we were completely blown away!

From the friendly, professional staff to the flawless ceremony and the beautiful food at the reception, we couldn't find anything that was less than perfect. Our room (29) was lovely (love the French doors within the room!) and breakfast was also fab. We even cheekily asked for some crispy bacon alongside the Eggs Florentine we ordered and we got it without any fuss - the waitress was really pleasant. A lot of hotels would have just refused little extras like this. All the wedding guests were talking at breakfast about how much they'd enjoyed their stay.

Having been to many weddings of family & friends in the North East, I can honestly say that Matfen tops the lot. In fact, I've now decided that when it's my turn to get married, I'll be booking here! Now to start saving!

Thank you to the management and staff for making us feel so welcome. Well done!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucifer_84
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Very dissatisfied with hotel complaints procedure. Basically they dont care if customers are unhappy or raise concerns about poor customer service. First and last visit to hotel never want to return. Stayed 2 nights room freezing food over rated and service poor. Treat for my partner recovering from serious illness, given a cold room and after complaining given plug in heater which blew hot smelly burnt plasric heat. Ordered food in restaurant which didn't receive, then charged for meals and drinks twice. Very expensive break which I would never recommend to anyone. Over rated hotel poor food, and overall arrogant manager.

Room Tip: Wrap up warm as heating was off on our wing. Will give you a blow heater but no discount
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank shazd8
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

My wife (!!!) and I have just had our wedding at this amazing place on 23 December 2013.

Matfen got all of the basics spot on: Great Hall is a truly magical wedding venue, excellent rooms, superb food (all of our guests raved about it) and a great evening disco.

But what I really want to recommend these guys for is the service. Having a wedding on 23 December means a few things: stressful bride and groom and guests due to being so close to Christmas and the end of the busy period for Matfen. The staff were amazing, proactively sorting out problems, porters always on hand to help us ferry stuff around, quick service, attentive Masters Of Ceremonies... nothing was a problem....

Each and everyone of our guests have commented on just how superb the people at Matfen are. They've made a truly great day for us that even bit more special.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Tctctctctc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Lovely afternoon tea in beautiful drawing room, marred by really poor customer service.
While the good was pleasant, the staff did not acknowledge our arrival as we sat waiting on the sofa in drawing room. No staff present when we arrived and had to ask several times before anyone showed us to a table. Wouldn't mind if we had just turned up but we had pre booked. Had to ask for top up of water as went cold before good arrived, and we're standing for ten minutes trying to pay at end, again even though staff walking back and forth passed us, month one asked if we had been seen to... Unlikely to return which is a shame as fantastic venue.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bell240611
Bagshot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here in July 2013 for two nights, on our way to a wedding in Scotland.
It was a late booking (half-board - at a very good price) and I can't really praise the hotel enough.

The hotel itself is a magnificent old manor house, with lovely grounds, sited next to the church on the edge of a quiet village, miles from anywhere but easy to find from the A1. The hotel looks out over a very scenic and well maintained golf course. Green fees were a modest £20.
The food was excellent, the room was great, the staff were excellent and there is a 'lovely' Spa.
There are well-documented walks from the hotel around the village and further afield.

We drove from there (across country) to Rothbury and Alnick - this lovely drive completed the experience for us.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course might be a good bet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROGER P
Carlisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

What can I say. 5* as far as were concerned. This place is just the thing if you want to get away for it all. My partner & I went here for our Christmas treat.

The place is beautiful and immaculate, the spa is sublime, the food is beyond delicious & the staff fantastic. Even though I mucked up my room booking a bit, they sorted it out. They didn't have to do that, it was my fault as I found out and yet they sorted us out and I am truly grateful. Thanks to the girls on reception, Emma (I forget the other girl's name, sorry), I believe Andy also helped with this and helped my partner move our stuff to the new room (while I was having a head massage). Now that is really taking care of guests. Nothing was too much trouble.

I am picky at times and must also add that I don't write reviews (ever!!) but felt like I should because we had such a great time. I even found myself trying to find something that was out of place or unclean and yet I couldn't. The room was really comfortable with everything we needed and more. All of the staff were so polite, responsive and well, human. Always nice to be served on but it was nice chatting to down to earth personalities like Amy & Beth.

Was also nice to know that my girlfriend was also chatting with (without knowing it) Lady Blackett who had popped into spa. Really good to know that the owners of this place have a presence around the hotel and themselves, play a part in making it so inviting and friendly.

On summary, GO HERE. There are other hotels and spas in Northumberland but this one has left such a impression on us, we will be back. If nothing else, it was better value for money than the others without a doubt.
Thank you to the staff at Matfen Hall for making our stay so fantastic. :-)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!