Came to stay for a friends wedding. Grounds are absolutely beautiful and the golf course looks incredibly impressive. Sadly, the room and staff fall well below! There was only one helpful person that I believe should be mentioned, and that was a gentleman who kindly helped me take my bags upstairs. The room I can say for the money we paid - was NOT worth the nearly £165 price tag. I at least tried to tell myself that it was a good job breakfast was included for that amount. The room looked tired, old and shabby, and to top it off there was no hot water.... My joy about breakfast being included was eventually disintegrated when we got downstairs the next morning. The woman who served us looked utterly miserable, and if you didn't respond to anything you asked her within a 5 second time frame, she disappeared. It seemed like such an effort for her to have to do anything for you. They had run out of glasses near the buffet - juices had also run out - and the toast that they brought us twice was soggy and cold. The breakfast I can only describe as an anorexics dream - 1 fried egg, 1 tomato, 1 small sausage, 2 small new potatoes and HALF a cooked small mushroom. I was starving after breakfast, and considering it wasn't busy in the morning - we waited for a considerable amount of time.
Due to being VERY unhappy at having no hot water, I was not paying the full amount for the room (which the hotel wanted payment for me as soon as I arrived). A few of our other friends who had the same issue with the water also were unhappy about paying the full rate. When the gentleman on the desk was asked about this - he became rude and said we could pay for the room and someone would contact us as his manger was away for the next few days. I was not happy about this. It was explained that an acting manager should be in charge to which he disappeared into his back room probably in hope we'd pay the amount and leave. After nearly an hour and a half to check out (just what you want) the man explained his boss would offer either a complimentary night (why would I want that when the staff have been awful and no guarantee the room would have hot water...?!) or 20% off. We took the 20% off as we couldn't be bothered to wait any longer and did not want to keep dealing with the guy on reception. Such a shame as a beautiful venue for a wedding and to play golf at - but If I was ever coming here again (due to someone else having a wedding here), I'd rather inconvenience myself by not staying at this hotel and driving myself to Leeds in the car.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland