“Great venue and golf course but awful room and service”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Came to stay for a friends wedding. Grounds are absolutely beautiful and the golf course looks incredibly impressive. Sadly, the room and staff fall well below! There was only one helpful person that I believe should be mentioned, and that was a gentleman who kindly helped me take my bags upstairs. The room I can say for the money we paid - was NOT worth the nearly £165 price tag. I at least tried to tell myself that it was a good job breakfast was included for that amount. The room looked tired, old and shabby, and to top it off there was no hot water.... My joy about breakfast being included was eventually disintegrated when we got downstairs the next morning. The woman who served us looked utterly miserable, and if you didn't respond to anything you asked her within a 5 second time frame, she disappeared. It seemed like such an effort for her to have to do anything for you. They had run out of glasses near the buffet - juices had also run out - and the toast that they brought us twice was soggy and cold. The breakfast I can only describe as an anorexics dream - 1 fried egg, 1 tomato, 1 small sausage, 2 small new potatoes and HALF a cooked small mushroom. I was starving after breakfast, and considering it wasn't busy in the morning - we waited for a considerable amount of time.
Due to being VERY unhappy at having no hot water, I was not paying the full amount for the room (which the hotel wanted payment for me as soon as I arrived). A few of our other friends who had the same issue with the water also were unhappy about paying the full rate. When the gentleman on the desk was asked about this - he became rude and said we could pay for the room and someone would contact us as his manger was away for the next few days. I was not happy about this. It was explained that an acting manager should be in charge to which he disappeared into his back room probably in hope we'd pay the amount and leave. After nearly an hour and a half to check out (just what you want) the man explained his boss would offer either a complimentary night (why would I want that when the staff have been awful and no guarantee the room would have hot water...?!) or 20% off. We took the 20% off as we couldn't be bothered to wait any longer and did not want to keep dealing with the guy on reception. Such a shame as a beautiful venue for a wedding and to play golf at - but If I was ever coming here again (due to someone else having a wedding here), I'd rather inconvenience myself by not staying at this hotel and driving myself to Leeds in the car.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nusy77
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest

I was disappointed to read your review on trip advisor, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall, however, thank you for your kind comments with regards to the hotel setting.

I thought it was prudent to answer some of your queries raised during your stay and therefore can assure you that it is the industry norm to either take deposits, take pre-authorisation of the accommodation element of the account on check-in or take pre-payment of the accommodation element of the account on check-in. All major hotel companies throughout the world, operate these systems and we are no different.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that the hot water system failed temporarily on Sunday morning. This was a combination of unfortunate events, with the initial problem being out of our control, which have now been rectified. I understand from my Operations Manager, you did receive a refund for the inconvenience, but I do understand that this would have impacted on your stay.

I was concerned to hear of your aggressive behaviour towards a young female receptionist and whilst I appreciate your frustrations, feel this behaviour was not warranted.

Yours sincerely

Bernard Bloodworth
Managing Director

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Not only is the hotel set in the most wonderful golf course grounds but every window overlooks the course. The rooms are delightful. The bathroom we had was so large it would have done well for a party! Walk in shower and bathtub separate. Excellent. Beautiful linens and attention to detail. The restaurant was very good. Service at dinner was excellent due to our waiter. Breakfast service was shambolic. But all in all, a superb place to stay. Just be sure about walking the stairs. There is only a lift on the newer side of the hotel and we stayed in the older original side. Much worth the effort of the stairs even on crutches. Not cheap but certainly worthwhile.

Room Tip: We got upgraded to the most wonderful room so can't say about the 'normal' ones but pres...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

'Dog friendly', however, the dog waste bin was a long distance from the hotel for a lame dog and involved a partially muddy walk, so not very dog or dog owner friendly!
Otherwise, an excellent stay. Food lovely. Service good. Room large, well furnished and well maintained. Pool luxurious, decorated well and well staffed.
The area is beautiful and the hotel well placed for visiting the roman wall and good walking.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Had a fantastic two day stay in this beautiful hotel. From the moment we crossed the threshhold we were treated with nothing but care and professionalism. The staff are a credit to this organisation.Our room was spacious and extremely clean. We ate our meals at the Keepers Lodge and the Conservatory but did not use The Library restaurant. Had our breakfast in here though and can honestly say it is one of the best we have had and served so tastefully.The views out over the golf course are truly magnificent and the grounds are immaculately kept .Can't wait to go back

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Hi all my partner and I have just arrived at Matfen Hall.The check in was faultless and the room fabulous clean and tidy and warm..We then went to the pool area for a little R and R and we were not impressed.Crumbling plaster on the walls, rust on the disabled lifts, and two of the three steam rooms not working!! Not what I would class as acceptable in a high class hotel.However the pool temperature and chlorine content were just right and there is a cold water dispenser to quench your thirst. The Jaccuzzi Bath was to die for. Will update later after a walk round the grounds and dinner.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

To begin with i have to say this review title is based only on the room. We attended a wedding at Matfen Hall which was spectacular. Very well organised. Staff were great. So I would recommend this as a wedding venue. Our room however ( 10 ) in our experience was not 4 star. It was very small and not maintained to a high standard. The room without heating on was very hot. Our shower dripped all night so we were pleased we were not in the room long. I did notify staff at reception. Overall for the discount price for wedding party guests of £155 for this room it was NOT GOOD. We will not recommend this to anyone to have a stay. Breakfast was very disorganised. there were not enough tables. Even though breakfast was good, people had to wait. There were not enough staff serving to the extent that we were asked numerous times what our room number was by the same member of staff. She was clearly stressed. Such a shame as this is a beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank KEG-M
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed for a night for our anniversary and it was absolutely lovely. Out of the way which was nice as it was quiet, the location and grounds are stunning. The room was tastefully decorated, clean and well equipped. Breakfast was enjoyable with plenty of choice and made better by the view of the grounds. Staff were helpful and friendly. Very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eshott
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
Battlesteads Hotel
Best Western Beaumont Hotel

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!