We stayed at Matfen Hall for my husbands birthday on the 31st May. The hotel is lovely and the grounds are very pretty. We stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast deal. I probably wouldn't have tea there or at least not in the library restaurant if it wasn't included, It would have worked out quite pricey and I prefer a simpler menu so I didn't really like the sounds of any of the fancy starters however I did have a lovely steak as the main. It is what you would expect for a posh hotel in all fairness though. The staff were lovely and helpful and the breakfast in the morning was superb. As its a fairly small hotel breakfast was cooked fresh and served to you, rather than having sausages etc in hot plates to help yourself from like some hotels and it was really nice. The room was modern, comfortable, clean and well equipped. We used the swimming pool which was nice enough, some of the spa facilities were being renovated but from the pics it looks like its going to be fab. We had a few drinks in the conservatory bar and the staff were very nice and the following day my husband played golf as the price was quite good when staying as a guest. You can use the facilities before you have checked in to your room from 10am I think which is good and then all day still after you have checked out which I think is great. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back if the price was right, at times it can be near £200 or over for 2 people for a night which I personally I wouldn't pay for one night anywhere but sometimes there are some pretty good deals at times.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Agoda so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland