“Lovely hotel and grounds”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
“Lovely hotel and grounds”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at Matfen Hall for my husbands birthday on the 31st May. The hotel is lovely and the grounds are very pretty. We stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast deal. I probably wouldn't have tea there or at least not in the library restaurant if it wasn't included, It would have worked out quite pricey and I prefer a simpler menu so I didn't really like the sounds of any of the fancy starters however I did have a lovely steak as the main. It is what you would expect for a posh hotel in all fairness though. The staff were lovely and helpful and the breakfast in the morning was superb. As its a fairly small hotel breakfast was cooked fresh and served to you, rather than having sausages etc in hot plates to help yourself from like some hotels and it was really nice. The room was modern, comfortable, clean and well equipped. We used the swimming pool which was nice enough, some of the spa facilities were being renovated but from the pics it looks like its going to be fab. We had a few drinks in the conservatory bar and the staff were very nice and the following day my husband played golf as the price was quite good when staying as a guest. You can use the facilities before you have checked in to your room from 10am I think which is good and then all day still after you have checked out which I think is great. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back if the price was right, at times it can be near £200 or over for 2 people for a night which I personally I wouldn't pay for one night anywhere but sometimes there are some pretty good deals at times.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NewcastleGem11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have just come back from attending a wedding at Matfen Hall. The staff were extremely professional throughout our long weekend. They could not have made us feel more welcome in the beautiful ambience of the chosen location. Catering to people who tend to focus on the ecological but also providing a flavour for the historical and modernists who so enjoy their creature comforts like me. They made my son and daughters' wedding appear effortless and could not have done enough to make our stay perfect.
Although a little surprised by the almost empty restaurants on site during the weekend evenings, even they had a number of restaurants which catered for all tastes and budgets. I admit the food with a few tweaks would be almost perfect. My husband thought the Warm Chocolate Tart with Tropical Breeze was superb. The restaurants tend to use their own meats from their nearby farms and this clearly made a difference to the quality and taste. Well done and thank you for a most wonderful and enjoyable time. It could not have gone better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank HAPPYTRIPPER13
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I paid nearly £200 for a spa day at Matfen hall. When booking I was told that the steam room and sauna were not working. What I wasn't told was that there would be workmen at the pool side, scaffolding around the pool, which the workmen dipped into the pool ever now and then!! screwdrivers, light fittings etc on the lounges. This was not the relaxing day that I had planned.. I made a complaint and was promised that the manager would call me back the same day! I am still waiting several days later even though I have left numerous messages. The staff itself were lovely and the spa treatments lovely.. but the whole experience was let down by the intrusive activity at the pool!!! I would not recommend this place as this was definitely a waste of money! I am saddened to write this review as I understand that renovations have to happen but its the lack of interest in the customer care that is appalling!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank sarah c
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest

I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with your recent Spa Day at Matfen Hall and please accept my sincere apologies that your day was disturbed due to the refurbishment of our thermal suite.

Whilst we did endeavour to ensure all guests were aware that there was work being carried out in advance of their visit and wherever possible work was completed when the facilities were closed, unfortunately, this did have a small impact on some guests visiting the facilities during this time. I am sorry that your complaint was not brought to my attention and would be happy to discuss this with you – please could I ask that you contact me direct. Please be assured we do take customer care very seriously and feedback is invaluable in helping us to measure our success.

I am pleased to confirm that our new thermal suite has opened today, enhancing our already superb facility and I do hope you will return to Matfen Hall, where I would welcome the opportunity to restore your ‘faith’ with us.

Yours sincerely

Bernard Bloodworth
Managing Director
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We needed somewhere at short notice & got a fair deal at Matfen Hall. Every aspect of our brief stay was faultless - I wouldn't normally stay at such a classy hotel but I will bring my golf clubs next time I'm in Northumberland and take advantage of the good looking course, as well as the spa which has just been updated.
Another plus for me is that the Black Bull is a 5 minute walk away & specialises in Wylam Brewery beers !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank jsathebar
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

As you can see from the pictures this hotel offers a trip back in time to a kinder, gentler place. The staff are super helpful and friendly. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable with high quality finishings.

I ate in the conservatory, the food was scrumptious and service faultless. The swimming pool was nice but it was disappointing that the wet rooms and sauna was closed for refurbishment, but hey oh I can use them next visit. Breakfast was also very good, I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alibali27
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at Matfen Hall for a wedding, but it was clear to us that there was a lot more than we could have done there. There is a swimming pool and spa, and a very good looking golf course.
The staff were very friendly and professional, and the room was very clean and comfortable.
The hotel can provide details of local routes for walking and running, and we did a long circular walk, which took about 90 minutes. The restaurant was excellent and the food was first class. I don't play Golf, but watching the golfers at Matfen made me think about giving it a try.
If you can afford a nice break in an excellent hotel then Matfen Hall is highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew P
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is unable to provide a comfortable sleep. I asked the receptionist for firmer pillows and I was told they only supply one standard pillow. The material their pillows are made is clearly cheap.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Rooky_ross
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!