“Family Wedding”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just returned after a two day stay at this venue, the building,gardens and scenery is worth the visit alone. The wedding went like clockwork with thanks to all the staff for ensuring it did so.The food here is top drawer and very well presented, the menu is very good and you can ask for almost anything and they will oblige. The rooms are are comfortable and well presented with large bathrooms, wi fi and TV , tea/coffee and a fridge, a large Spa is also available with a good size swimming pool.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Be careful of what you are getting. We booked three nights here - but cancelled after one. The room we booked was advertised as having 'outstanding views of the gardens or golf course' beside a picture showing a large window visible from the bed and with two chairs right beside the window. The reality was no outside view from the bed; two chairs beside a blank wall with a window high above it that you could not see out of and in the one small window you could see out of - if you lean to the side and crane you neck - no gardens or golf course just a couple of very large trees.

The room itself had stains on the carpet, and service was very poor - for example when we arrived at around 7 pm no offer to carry our cases up the several flights of stair to the room (and no lift available). On complaining we did not get any serious listening to and no willingness to accept or discuss the issue.

Cooked breakfast was very skimpy - about half the size of the much nicer Red Lion pub in Alnmouth that we had stayed in the previous night!

This was not four star in any way.

Room Tip: Other than saying don't go near the place ask specifically where the room is (and don't book...
5  Thank Gav_S3
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the summer gormet getaway which included afternoon tea, evening meal and bed and breakfast as well as use of the spa. The bedroom was lovely and clean and tidy and well presented. The bed was very comfortable. We really enjoyed the spa-again facilities were clean and tidy. Food was amazing-afternoon tea was filling, in fact we couldn't finish it! The surroundings are beautiful and peaceful- and gave us a much needed break. The staff were friendly and attentive. My only concern was that the church bells started chiming at 6am which woke me up-obviously Matfen have no control over that! We will return and book for longer next time!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2014

After bad news after bad news,my wife and i decided to find solace somewhere nice and quiet to collect our thoughts.Maften Hall ensued with two nights stay,bed and breakfast. Room 54 ,very quiet and calm room with "the stately " view of courtyard, NO cars to spoil it.Enjoyed sitting at window gathering thoughts having a nice ringtons coffee"supplied".One could almost expect a carriage to appear circa 18th century. The room itself was clean to the standards of a country residence,not clinical but clean and tidy,it adds to the ambiance of the place afterall. The Maften hall clock bell going every hour even took you back in time,i liked it so much i left old windows open to here its chime. The bed was big soft and very nice,just the tonic for restfull sleep,my wife asked for extra pillows delivered within minutes by a nice chap in a full dinner suit and bow,"very downton"nice chap . Facilites in the spa brought you right up into 21st century,warm pool,lovely sauna,steam room etc.i loved it,especially the other guests being very polite ,and enjoying just as much as my wife and i. Changing facilities excellent. The food good,service prompt and with a smile ,seemed a good team spirit within staff which showed.I tried to fault food,i really did ,but no i for one enjoyed my meals. I for sure will visit in future,will ask for same room,same midweek stay ,my wife will pre book spa treatments ,as very busy. Did it have what i wanted yes,it helps to wear rose tinted glasses sometimes.
Seek and thee shall find.

Room Tip: Overlook courtyard entrance,No cars,quiet very charming.
3  Thank Kevin h
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just come back from three days at Matfen Hall. We've had an excellent break: the hotel is excellent with spa facilities and three separate dining areas, The Conservatory, The Keepers Lodge and the fantastic Library Restaurant. We had a deluxe room: very comfortable with ensuite bathroom, an outside balcony and a good size. It was my wife's birthday on the Tuesday : the hotel couldn't have been more helpful. Many thanks to Lisa on the various arrangements and Kerry in the Library Restaurant for all their help and advice: much appreciated. I can definitely say we will be back!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My wife and I arranged to stay at Matfen Hall over a weekend whilst attending a family wedding at Slaley hall nearby. We wanted to be separated from the throng, but also wanted something with a bit more character than the De Vere.

Unfortunately we were both left very disappointed. After a very long drive we arrived to find the room (over the spa) to be impossibly hot, with windows only opening about 2 inches, on stays - the windows must have been 4 feet up in the air, so how safety was an issue, I will never know. Then there was the bathroom - no extractor fan and no window, 2 holes in the tiles where the safety rail was supposed to be and worst of all a broken shower hose, which had most of the water gushing straight into the bath, with little or nothing through the head. We were away to the wedding early that day and knew we would be late back, so frankly the last thing we wanted was to be moved around, but the final morning it had grown even worse. We complained on leaving and are still awaiting a call from the manager, as promised.

There were a few minor gripes - no slippers in the room, so the short walk to the spa was presumably to be done in a robe and street shoes, breakfast nice, but very much on the small side and not likely to fill you up for a days walking - but the staff were generally good (very helpful indeed on some occasions), the building lovely and the golf course looked a very nice way to spend an afternoon (at not that busy first thing in the morning).

Food and drink in the Keeper's Lodge were a good price and of a good standard and again staff were attentive and friendly.

I really wanted to like Matfen Hall - a bit of character and striking a blow for the independent concerns over the larger nationals - but I am afraid it fell well short of what we were hoping for, and I could not possibly agree that the facilities matched the price. Even on a Secret Escapes deal the room was far from cheap and I could not avoid the feeling that value could be better achieved elsewhere. The shower, with hindsight, was unforgivable.

Having had a good look over the course of the weekend, I am afraid that I would now have to recommend Slaley over Matfen every time - yes, a little less intimate, but the luxury standards far outstripped the independent rival, in terms of facilities, grounds, golf and food. Will try there next time. Sorry Matfen.

2  Thank Andy H
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My mam and I stayed here after purchasing a deal through secret escapes. The hotel is lovely, very grand and set in the the middle of the countryside. We stayed before the spa was upgraded and I must say, it was a little tired so it was much needed. The room was large and clean with a lovely comfortable bed. The 3 course meal we had in the Library Restaurant was absolutely delicious, one of the best meals I've ever eaten and it was made all the more enjoyable by the grand surroundings. The breakfast was also lovely, high quality ingredients served by friendly and attentive staff. I will definitely stay here again, looking forward to sampling the new spa facilities.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NicolaT2986
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
The Beaumont Hexham, Hotel

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!