“Absolutely Magical”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
“Absolutely Magical”
Reviewed 13 January 2010

Stayed at Matfen Hall in early January 2010 to celebrate my wife's birthday.

I have to say it was magical from start to finish....

Directions to the Hotel were very good (although we had stayed previously) and check-in was very smooth indeed.

Our room was spacious and beautifully clean, situated in the newer part of the Hotel, with lovely views over the grounds which were still snow-covered following the recent wintry weather. The bed was huge and very comfortable.

The room decor was very tasteful and the room itself was lovely and warm.

We had a couple of drinks in the Drawing Room before Dinner and the Hotel's manager happened to be passing by. We were really impressed when he stopped to wish my wife a very happy birthday - what a lovely touch!

We had dinner in the Library Restaurant after this and it was absolutely superb - the quality of the food was exceptional and we found the staff very attentive and friendly. We left there utterly stuffed!

We still felt quite full the next morning and nearly didn't manage to make it to breakfast but we were so pleased we did - our breakfasts were outstanding. A good selection of fruit, cereals, juices and toast was swiftly followed by a luscious cooked breakfast. My wife even asked for scrambled eggs (which wasn't on the menu that morning) and they obliged without raising a single eyebrow.

A morning then spent in the Spa, Jacuzzi, Steam Room and Sauna followed by a walk around the beautiful grounds made this one fabulous stay indeed.

We've stayed here before but this was the best yet - we simply cannot fault them on anything and can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daft80sBloke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Matfen Hall which included Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day! This is the first time myself and husband have chosen to spend Christmas away from home and, I must say, we were not disappointed! Bearing in mind our sole object was to relax and enjoy good food and wine - we certainly did!! Dining in the lovely Library Restaurant was an absolute pleasure. The staff, particularly in the Restaurant, were extremely attentive, efficient and very friendly. Our accommodation was a Delux Room situated in the East Wing of the Hall. As far as we were concerned, it ticked every box for comfort! Tasteful decor, underfloor heating, Plasma TV, Tea & Coffee facilities, comfortable bed, plenty of pillows not to mention the unexpected Christmas Hamper which contained alcoholic beverages - did we really need to leave the room at all!! Of course we did and even braved the severe winter conditions to go for a 5 mile Christmas & Boxing Day walk in the beautiful, surrounding snow covered countryside. It has to be said the 'icing on the cake' was being given a gift voucher for a future1-night B&B stay at Matfen Hall following a bet by the Manager it would not snow on Christmas Day - it did!! We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank armani-code1
ayrshire
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I have read a number of reviews and I just get the feeling that some people will never be happy. We have stayed in hotels all over the world and I can quite safely say that Matfen Hall is a very, very good hotel. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Whether it was the barman/waiter in the Keepers Lodge (with superb home cooking at very reasonable prices and good beers on tap) or the leisure staff at the swimming pool who yet again were ever so friendly to my 3 year old son, I cannot fault the staff at Matfen Hall. Perhaps we have been lucky, but having stayed 3 times in the last 7 months we have had a beautiful, warm and clean room on every visit. Yes the bed may be 2 singles put together but it was certainly comfortable and over 3 full pillows wide making it extremely wide! One reviewer called the bed uncomfortable but I guess you will never please everybody (the princess and the pea springs to mind!). If I move on to the food in the hotel I once again find that I can make no criticism. This morning I had the Northumbrian breakfast. A scrumptious tower of eggy bread, 2 local sausages, apple and black pudding. All of this on top of the selection of cereals and pastries. My son of course had to be awkward and wanted a banana. We asked a member of staff and within a minute it arrived (on it's own plate!). Finally, my wife took the opportunity this time to make use of the spa treatments. One hot stone massage later she returned enthusing. It seems that the treatment was superb but one thing that particularly impressed was that it lasted the full hour and not the 45 mins that so often happens at these places (so I'm told!). Matfen Hall hits all the right notes with this reviewer and his family. My 3 year old is made to feel most at home by all the staff (although perhaps that is because he isn't allowed to run wild) and we always feel totally relaxed when we leave. I must add that we arrived at below freezing temperatures and left in blizzard and yet the hotel and staff maintained the high levels of service despite the awful conditions outside. We will be back in 2010 that is a certainty!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ayrshireblackcat
South Shields
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Stayed one night with friends.
Agree with another comment - it could be so much better but can't put my finger on what it is.
All the staff were very friendly. We were in room 46, really nice room but very cold. Porter supposed to have fixed the underfloor heating but it did not get hot. Our friends in the next room were warm as toast. We asked for blankets and they didn’t arrive.
On checking out were told that there had been complaints before about that room.Doh!! Get it fixed!
The conservatory bar and the library lounge also were both cold.
Food was excellent but agree about the kippers smell and the tiny teapots.
Would go back though – it’s a lovely setting.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScottySouthShields
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Splashed out and booked to stay here as we were attending a wedding and it was our own anniversary too. Stunning setting it has to be said but upon being shown to our room, very disappointing - it actually faced a brick wall! I complained to reception who offered me the other two rooms which were available and we chose one of those. A gripe I have is that my sister who booked later than me had a massive room with amazing views - if you get that room you won't be disappointed.

The chapel in which the wedding was held (inside Matfen Hall) was really beautiful but the wedding breakfast was split between two rooms and felt very disjointed - also the food given to vegetarians was appalling and we ended up not eating. The evening party was also disjointed, disco downstairs in a cellar type bar with a serious lack of seating and air conditioning, resulting in most of the guests drinking the bar upstairs. There was no shelter at the doors for smokers who ended up wet outside. Another problem was that someone bought drinks in the evening and charged them to my room (they were obviously not asked for proof of room number) and I ended up paying for these! I was NOT happy!

As far as breakfast goes, if you enjoy the stench of kippers first thing in the morning then you will enjoy, if, like myself, this would turn your stomach you will end up wandering the grounds.

Considering the price I paid I was very disappointed with our experience at Matfen Hall.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Saturday dinner ruined by crying infant in vast buggy in middle of dining room at 8.30pm,lots of children running around otherwise beautiful drawing room meant impossible to enjoy quiet drink before dinner.NO HOT WATER AT ALL in bathroom on Sunday morning in our deluxe room,still wasnt fixed when we checked out. Breakfast service a complete shambles, waited 30mins for tea,when it arrived a tiny pot holding one and half cups for both of us.Toast arrived 5 mins later without butter.Waiting staff poorly managed wandering around dining room not seeming to know what to do.Matfen Hall management is poor and complacent. AVOID

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank newcastlepenny
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2009

we stayed at matfen on a deal for my partners birthday, the room was really nice, my partner had a full body massage and love the treatment, she said one of the best she has had, the decor in parts of matfen is looking a little dated or should i say scuffed, the staff are polite and helpful, the bar is pricey and the cooked breakfast was just ok, there is a nice choice of fruit and the normal cerials.
I would go again all in all matfen is a classy place it just needs a little extra to make it super.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!