Stayed at Matfen Hall in early January 2010 to celebrate my wife's birthday.
I have to say it was magical from start to finish....
Directions to the Hotel were very good (although we had stayed previously) and check-in was very smooth indeed.
Our room was spacious and beautifully clean, situated in the newer part of the Hotel, with lovely views over the grounds which were still snow-covered following the recent wintry weather. The bed was huge and very comfortable.
The room decor was very tasteful and the room itself was lovely and warm.
We had a couple of drinks in the Drawing Room before Dinner and the Hotel's manager happened to be passing by. We were really impressed when he stopped to wish my wife a very happy birthday - what a lovely touch!
We had dinner in the Library Restaurant after this and it was absolutely superb - the quality of the food was exceptional and we found the staff very attentive and friendly. We left there utterly stuffed!
We still felt quite full the next morning and nearly didn't manage to make it to breakfast but we were so pleased we did - our breakfasts were outstanding. A good selection of fruit, cereals, juices and toast was swiftly followed by a luscious cooked breakfast. My wife even asked for scrambled eggs (which wasn't on the menu that morning) and they obliged without raising a single eyebrow.
A morning then spent in the Spa, Jacuzzi, Steam Room and Sauna followed by a walk around the beautiful grounds made this one fabulous stay indeed.
We've stayed here before but this was the best yet - we simply cannot fault them on anything and can't wait to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland