“I never knew about these!”
Review of Duddo Five Stones

Reviewed 5 August 2014

In June this year my husband and I were staying in the Borders area near to Duddo. While doing some research on the area, I spotted information on the internet regarding Duddo Standing Stones, which I never knew existed, even during many visits to Berwick-on-Tweed over several years! We were staying at the Tillmouth Park Hotel which is only a short drive from Duddo, so on the morning that we checked out prior to driving home, we decided to find the stones!

After a short drive and not too much trouble, we found the entrance to the field where the stones are situated. There is a grass verge to park on and, luckily, there were no other cars there when we arrived. There is a small signpost pointing along the pathway to the stones, which is through farming land. There is also a sign that tells you to wear sensible clothes and footwear and to allow at least an hour for the round trip. That was spot on! There is a wide path that cuts through the farming land, but it is rough grass and uneven ground. Anyone with walking difficulties or bad mobility wouldn’t be able to tackle this. I would also say it is not suitable for any sort of pram, buggy or wheelchair. It took half an hour to wind our way through the fields and this is on an incline all the way. Luckily, the weather wasn’t too bad with sunshine and clouds and no rain. There is no shelter here, so would have been pretty miserable if it had been raining. Once you get nearer to the stones, there is an information board and then a smaller track that leads to the mound that the stones are standing on. Within the ridges of these stones, people have left coins, but I don’t know the significance of this, although the information board does make reference to people leaving everyday objects within the circle.

This is a free site to enter, but you need to be aware that there are no facilities here. There are some fantastic views over the farmland and it would be a great place if you wanted to take a picnic with you, but you’d need to be sure to take any litter home with you and to follow the Country Code as far as animals and lighting fires are concerned.

After taking in the magnificent views we left for the half hour trek back to the car, with the satisfaction of having visited these fascinating stones that I had known nothing about, and it was also a little easier with it being downhill! Once this review goes ‘live’, I’ll get some photos posted up.

2  Thank Marlscat
in 3 reviews
in 10 reviews
in 2 reviews
in 2 reviews

Been to Duddo Five Stones? Share your experiences!