“Disgusting and filthy, do NOT stay here!”

South Milford Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Milford
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recently visited this hotel as part of a national holidays coach trip and will never stay there again! Our room was cold, the beds had clean bedding but when we checked one of the mattresses it was covered in stains. The bedding also felt damp. The worst was yet to come though. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting! Dirt, hairs, mould, scummy tide marks around the bath,the room clearly hadn't been cleaned in months. I spoke to reception and even showed them photos I had taken. I was told that they would usually just move us to another room but as they were fully booked that she (the girl on reception) would come and clean it herself. Three hours later, when nothing had been done, we gave up and went to bed. The only nice thing about the hotel was the barman who served me, even the bar and reception areas were horrible with oddly coloured lime green fabric chairs covered in stains that had clearly been there for months. I won't be using your hotel again and strongly advise anyone else to book this filthy hotel to stay the night.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Rachael_Kellett
daveyr1, Operations Manager at South Milford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Rachael,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. As you mentioned in your review we were unable to move you into one of our recently refurbished rooms as due to our popularity with other guests seeking accommodation with close links to Leeds and York we were fully booked. I am pleased to report that the room you stayed in is scheduled to refurbished shortly, in the second part of our £1m+ project to make sure we offer a great product to all of our guests.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My wife and I have used this hotel as a stop over for several years. it's had a recent make over and our room was excellent- if people complain, it may be they haven't updated all the rooms yet, just ask when you book. Prices are very good but you will have to travel to find food. I cannot recommend the restaurant, as I was served Pate with a lovely helping of MOULD on it!! Yep, the chef couldn't even be bothered to check what goes out. To be honest, all the food tastes as if it's microwaved. My wife's lettuce was brown and wilted and three out of four of her BBQ chicken wing starters were barely tepid. The waiter, Jacob, couldn't have been more helpful and the restaurant manageress was responsive to my complaints. Having eaten there over several years, I have found the food to be acceptable but not great. This time it was simply inexcusable. My wife had to run off to our room and be sick-she was that put off by things. Nevertheless, it's a comfortable stay with a nice warm indoor pool, easy parking and very helpful staff.

Room Tip: just ask for a refurbished room-some have a little road noise when windows are open.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paolo123Wales

Dear Paolo123Wales,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that enjoyed one of our new rooms, as you correctly stated, the remainder of the rooms that have not yet been updated are due to be shortly. I am also pleased that Jacob and Haley were able to assist you during your stay. I do, however not accept your assertion that there was mould on your pate. This simply could not happen. I am however pleased to report that a lot of effort has recently gone into (and is continuing to go into) improving our food offering. I therefore hope that on your next visit I will be able to demonstrate this.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

After reading previous reviews I was unsure what to expect from this hotel.It was part of a national weekend break and I was pleasantly surprised.The furniture was tired but the hotel was well decorated, clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. Meals were included with the break and the food was fresh, home made, tasty and plentiful.Would definitely return.Pleasant gardens to the back of the restaurant, no other amenities in walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank maxine s
daveyr1, Operations Manager at South Milford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Maxine S,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and kind review. I am delighted that enjoyed your visit and look forward to meeting you when you return.

David Robinson

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here on Friday 20 June. We had asked for a quiet room and we were given one as far away from the bar as it is possible to be, which was ideal. We had booked a small double room and it certainly met that description! Not just the room was small - the double bed was a standard size, not the usual king-size you get in chain hotels. So if you book a small double be ready to cuddle up.The room itself and the bathroom were a bit tired, and the shower was on the puny side but these are minor niggles. The pool looked very nice and is quite large.The staff were friendly and efficient and the buffet breakfast was excellent. It was all exceptional value. We paid £49 for the room and £9.95 each for breakfast. We were on our way to York, which was less than half an hour's drive away, where a hotel would have cost three or four times as much.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S

Dear Paul S,

Thank you for your recent stay and kind review. I am delighted that you found our team friendly and efficient, the breakfast excellent and considered your stay good value for money. We are currently in the process of refurbishing all of our bedrooms which will bring them right up to date. We do have a number of room types, from the small double as you described up to our large family rooms, ensuring that we are able to accommodate all ranges of budgets and sizes.

One again Thank You

Reviewed 23 June 2014

DIRTY, very dirty. The shower had so much mould it must have been a health risk, the toilet pan was loose and no sink plug and just about every surface was dusty.There was a serious lack of ventilation and we had to stuff a towel into the window to keep it open.Although only a one night stopover there were bags of used linen lying in the corridor for the duration of our stay - give this one a miss

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin B

Dear Colin B
I was disappointed to hear of your experience while visiting us recently. I will be working closely with housekeeping to ensure that our rooms at the very least meet expectations. On a positive note we have already renovated half of our bedroom stock, with work shortly to get underway on the remainder. Thank you for your feedback which allows us to improve our facility.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just spent 3 very pleasant nights and the staff were great. The students I had there on a residential trip enjoyed their stay and everyone was so helpful. This is not my first time staying at Selby Fork Quality Hotel and every visit is excellent. The upgrade and refurb is ongoing but there is no inconvenience to guests. Once again the dining staff were excellent and Neil on front desk was as usual professional, helpful and always pleasant. Looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank IainBallymena
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here on Saturday night on a National Holidays Mystery Tour. Nice seating area at the front. Pleasant lounge and bar area with reasonable prices.
The room was obviously refurbished, very clean and modern with plenty of clothes storage space.
Dinner reminiscent of school dinners. Salad starter was wilted and dried up as if it had been there all day. Chilli and rice were o.k, and dessert was cake, no cream to accompany it.
I had major problems with the door key which were not really resolved although the receptionist did her best.
Coffee ran out at breakfast and took an age to be replenished. Glad I was only there for one night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Days Inn Wetherby
#2 of 3 in Wetherby
Parsonage Hotel & Spa
Best Western Kilima Hotel

Been to South Milford Hotel? Share your experiences!