“A great hands on experience with these wonderful birds”

York Bird of Prey Centre
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Huby
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: York Bird Of Prey Centre is home to over 80 Stunning Birds Of Prey. Including owls, vultures, hawks, falcons and even eagles! We pride ourselves on giving a HANDS ON EXPERIENCE here so we have an exciting daily program which includes flying demonstrations, regular educational talks, and the opportunity to handle our birds throughout the day. We offer one to one experience packages which gives customers an experience they will never forget, we are also available for outside events such as school visits, weddings and other functions. Sponsorship packages are also available for all of our birds, and we do run several special events throughout the season such as car shows, and photography days! Check out our website for further details! Please note we are disabled accessible, we have an onsite cafe serving cold food and hot drinks, unfortunately dogs are not allowed on site. We are also closed on Tuesdays and would also close in severe rain and wind. Please contact us for any further information!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Lee, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A great hands on experience with these wonderful birds”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have visited a few Bird of Prey centres in my time. Most have been a little bigger with time spent walking around looking at all the birds in cages before leaving after watching a flying display. Well The York Bird of Prey Centre is a whole lot different.
I took my partner as a nice day out following a voucher purchased online. It was easy to find and we were greeted by some very friendly staff. The centre is of a fairly small size yet it had a great collection of owls and hawks, along with a couple of eagles including the great Golden Eagle.
The staff are absolutely fantastic and are so welcoming and chatty, along with passionate and knowledgable about the birds.
What I did not expect was just how hands on this centre is. We held three different types of owl (barn, eagle and a cute little one nicknamed the evil owl), a peregrine falcon, a red tailed hawk, a harris hawk and a couple of others that I forget.
It is so nice to be able to hold these birds and get such an up close and personal experience with them.
We watched the first flying show which we enjoyed although the birds were not as enthusiastic. To be fair the sun was shining and they wanted to sunbathe..who wouldn't!
Again it isn't just a flying show. They have volunteers up holding the glove and having barn owls, eagles and hawks flying to you.
An enjoyable day with a final cherry on top…holding the gorgeous Golden Eagle called Shadow. I do not know anywhere that lets you hold one of these magnificent birds. It really made my day. We saw them in the wild in Scotland as children (from a long long distance) and this topped it. To be so close and see this bird in so much detail.
It appears they may be expanding which will be great as it can only get better.
An absolutely fantastic day. I would recommend to anyone. The handling really is the key to this place. Thankyou to the staff for a wonderful day…where do I sign up to volunteer!?

2 Thank Leedscitylife

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day out for all.”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Never heard of this place before until i saw a offer of cheap tickets on wowcher.
Wish i had paid full price for such a great friendly place.
Where else can you have a golden eagle on your arm and stroke its belly? On my visit i was able to hold and feed several birds of prey and not because i paid extra or was one of the lucky ones. Everyboby was offered a turn.
The staff are very friendly and know there stuff.
The cafe is well priced and the gift shop small but not over priced.
Thanks to all the great staff for one of the best days out in a long time.
Look forward to visiting in the future and seeing Eclipse all grown up.

1 Thank PaulM0ff
“Brilliant for people of all ages!!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Went here a couple of weeks ago and i have to say it is the best bird of prey centre ive been too and trust me ive been to loads. There is plenty to keep you occupied between the excellent and informative flying displays. Its the only centre ive been to which likes you to handle the birds. Between me and my partner we held a whole host of different birds throughout the day even the golden eagle. Definately will return.

Hartlepool
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best bird of prey centre so far.”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I went here for my 30th birthday. It was one of the best centres I have been to so far (ive been to a fair few). The displays were some of the best I have seen and involved everyone who wanted to get involved. I held around 7 different birds in the day Incluing a Golden eagle at the end of the day. Got some excellent photos of the birds in natural backgrounds. Will definatly visit again and again.

York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Great Afternoon”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have just spent one of the best afternoons I've had. The half day Falconry Experience was just brilliant. We got to watch and take part in the flying display. Lots of interesting information given about the birds flown given by someone genuinely interested and caring for the birds. A hawk walk around the grounds with a Harris Hawk. The chance to hold a Golden Eagle followed by a tour of all the owls, again full of information about the birds.
The centre is still expanding and is genuinely aimed at giving the birds a safe, clean well looked after environment. Can't recommend it enough.