“Disappointed”

Best Western Burn Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Huby
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We booked this hotel thinking we were going to stay in Burn Hall and not some annex that has been built on the side with 200 + rooms. The room lacked any character at all with basic furniture, the bed was shocking and one of the worst i have ever slept in. The breakfast was one thing I could not complain about, very good. We paid £49.00 to stay one night with breakfast for two, so maybe I'm being harsh. But the picture they show of the hotel on the web is not where you will be sleeping.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Burn Hall Hotel

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We booked a 2 adjoing rooms in January for dates in June. When we arrived to check in we was given 2 rooms but opposite each other. Which is not very good when you have children under 16yrs. It took the receptionist quite alot of pursuading to find us the rooms we had booked 6 months earlier ! We stayed for a friends wedding andthe food was really good. Unfortunately the hotel is very dirty, we passed 2 trays on the landing to our rooms for the entire weekend full of dirty plates and glasses. It was very dusty in the rooms also. We did try to bring this to the attention ofthe hotel taff but was fobbed off. Shame the hotel wasn't upto the standard as the wedding reception they produced. Also the beds are very small double's and the rooms are the same as travel lodge except the price is twice as much !

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2012

All the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were basic but the housekeeping was of a high standard. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and it was quiet at night.

The deal included a meal and wine on one of our two nights. The menu was good but inexperienced service and poor presentation detracted from good produce. We had a similar experience on our second night. Again food was OK but service very variable. We would have eaten out but the hotel location would have meant a taxi or using the car. All the public areas were comfortable and relaxing. There was free wifi in the public areas that was great, although poor mobile phone connections. Hotel is trying to please too many different groups, ie. weddings, conferences, holiday & large holiday groups. We were here on business and also a short break and would not use if we were looking for solely a holiday.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Booked 2 night deal July 19th and 20th.. On arrival thr front of the hotel looked fine showing the old building.Clever photography didn't show the tired hostel type part.. The room was that basic and looked l very low budget. No upgrade available.Apparently they only have 2 rooms up to the standard of the photo. We wanted to leave straight away but being so late we left the next day. The manager Scott was very good and helped with some discount and personal service,. While we were there 2 other couples complained about the rooms. Not recomended.

Room Tip: Make sure you get upgrade old part of the hotel. if not move elswhere there are dozens of hotels clo...
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We have just stayed at the Burn Hall hotel, with an internet offer.
This gave us exceptional value
The hotel is very standard..rooms and public areas are clean and cared for
The Towels in the rooms were fabulous...Big and soft
The food included in our offer limited but very nice, the full menu did look very good, the quality was also good.
I feel that if I had paid full price I might feel a little let down, but if you can get an offer,the hotel is well situated and very nice for a short break

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed for two nights deal, paid for the extra night evening meal.
First night meal was excellent, with very friendly service by all of the staff.
Second night meal from the limited menu we chose the same main course which was not as ordered and returned to the kitchen, the second attempt was not up to standard. The manager stated that they had a large booking of 20 people in another room and the kitchen was busy.
Room was clean, small and basic, floor boards from above room noisy as was the plumbing.
We travelled to the races on the first day without driving and arranged for a taxi to take us to Huby Village to catch the bus, approx 1.3/4 miles. This cost £ 7.00 as Taxis in this part of the world charge you for the distance they travel to collect you, plus the fare a rip off. You can walk from the village in 30 minutes.

1  Thank shugdiver
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed here for one night at a weekend during July 2012.

Burn Hall is 'fine' - which is actually a shame because, given its location, it has so much potential.

The rooms are very, very basic. I wasn't expecting luxury, but the room we stayed in was more like a room at Uni Halls of Residence than even a middle-market hotel room.

Credit where it's due, the room was clean, but that's about all there was going for it.

I'm 6'00 tall (so above average, but not the tallest in the world) and my ankles were hanging well over the edge of the bed. My girlfriend and I are quite slim and yet kept bumping each other as the bed was quite narrow.

The walls are very thin - we could hear the couples on either side of us chatting, unpacking, peeing, snoring...

I never usually use the TV in hotel rooms I stay in, but we switched the TV on for a bit at bedtime and was disappointed that not only were there only 5 channels (surely in the age of digital freeview there should be more than that?) but also that the remote was dead and that the buzzing from the TV was louder than the actual programmes. Given the thickness of the walls (see above), I didn't want to turn it up any louder, so gave up. I'm sure if I had reported this it would've been rectified (see below re staff), but it was only a minor thing so I didn't worry about it.

The bathroom was mostly clean. A bit of mould in the corner of the shower and a lot of dirt/dust/mould inside the air vent, which really should be attended to in a clean between guests.

The breakfast we had the next morning was about average to poor. The hot plate wasn't very hot, and so no matter what I had it was just slightly tepid. The bacon was fatty and hadn't been cooked very long, and the sausages were a grey meat with only one side really browned. It was "okay," but I think only okay is a bad thing.

The outside of the building is a bit of a let down - certainly the bit we were staying in, next to the car park. Again, this reminded me of University halls which is a shame - it could have been much nicer. I can understand why this kind of passes for a conference centre but as a hotel it kind of misses the mark.

What made this stay "okay" rather than poor was the price - we stayed here on a deal so that it was only £49 for the two of us rather than full price. For £49 for a clean, adequate room and breakfast included it just about sufficed. If I'd paid the full price I would've felt really ripped off - it would not have been worth it at all. In fact, I struggle to imagine who would pay more than £25per person to stay here. It is kind of close to York, but I'd much sooner recommend hunting out a local B&B rather than Burn Hall. The likelihood is you'll get somewhere with a bit more character (rather then 'uni halls'), about the same price, probably a better breakfast, and probably located closer to York itself.

There was a large cycling party when we were there and I do concede that, as with conferences, to use this accommodation for those sorts of purposes would probably suit quite well: ample parking, place to store bikes, lots of rooms close together, and a big breakfast area. But for anything for couples or a one person trip, find somewhere else. ESPECIALLY if you're going to pay full price.

Incidentally, I tried three times to book this place. First, I was immediately asked if it was on a voucher. On answering 'yes,' I was told there was no availability. On calling a second time I wasn't asked, went ahead to start booking and on mentioning the voucher was told 'oh, actually, availability has just gone.' So I took to various websites, including their own, where it showed full availability. So I phoned back a third time, proceeded with the booking, and was again told no availability as soon as the voucher was mentioned. I referenced the websites showing plenty of rooms available, and I queried what their allocation of rooms was for use with the vouchers. It was only when I said that none of the other dates were suitable and that we'd just cancel all together was it suddenly possible to book me in.

This was a really disappointing experience. I can understand that hotels can't offer all their rooms up to promotional vouchers, but to have lots of availability just a few days before a booking and to cite no rooms available, say that next availability is months away, and then to miraculously be able to book a room when it seems they'll lose out completely didn't give a great impression.

The one plus side is that the staff I dealt with at the hotel were friendly, helpful and professional. So again, credit where it's due to the people on site.

Overall - adequate to stay in if part of a group and if staying on a voucher. Couple? Full price? Prefer to be closer to York? Stay somewhere else.

1  Thank richp670
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huby
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Holiday Inn Express York
The Talbot Hotel Malton
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
The Black Swan Hotel
The Black Swan Hotel
#2 of 4 in Helmsley

Been to Best Western Burn Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!