“Nice Place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Huby
Chorley
“Nice Place”
Reviewed 3 March 2008

We stayed for Friday night. It was very quiet but is no doubt busier in the week with conferences and on Saturdays with weddings. I think the staff out numbered the guests when we were there.

The location is convenient to get into York (park & ride not too far away).

We booked a suite for an extra £20 which was effectively an additional bedroom with a pull down bed. Not quite what I call a suite and I think for one night a standard double would be fine.

The bedroom corridors look as if they belong to a school or something similar with glazed fire doors etc., which left me feeling apprehensive when first arrived. However, the room was very pleasant and obviously refurbished not too long ago. The restaurant was fine albeit the menu was a bit limited.

There is no reason why we would not stay again; it is clean, presentable and good value. My only minor gripe is I thought the receptionist on arrival could have looked a little happier!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank ChorleyAndy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Leeds, England
Reviewed 31 January 2008

My wife and I booked a room at Burn Hall as a last minute get away with our little boy of 9 months. We live in Leeds and didn't want to travel too far so thought we would see what was available in and around York. I had noticed an offer on lastminute.com for Saturday night which included breakfast for £40 but as we needed space for a cot I thought it may be best to contact the hotel directly to arrange this. They were able to offer us a room for £40 but it would be an extra £20 for breakfast. They arranged for a disbaled room so that there was more space for a cot but were going to charge £10 for the loan of a cot. We had our own travel cot so didn't have to pay the extra £10. We agreed the £60 price to include breakfast and set off.

When we arrived the outise of the building looked very pleasant, it is in the middle of nowhere so the signs looked promising plus we had heard that it had recently had a £4million facelift. There is what looks like an extension to the main building which doesn't quite match the original building - the new bit looks like student residences from the outside. The staff were pleasant at the front desk and as promised we were given a disabled room for the extra space. Why it is considered a room for disabled people I don't know as it is on the 2nd floor and there are several stiff doors that you have to get through to get to the room! Terrible access for the disabled I would have thought.

Anyway, the hotel had a strange feel to it - it had a feel of an old people's home or hospital. The reception had a small selection of chocolate bars that you could buy (little bit odd). It was very quiet and when we arrived at our room whilst it was clean it was very clinical. It lacked any personality or feeling of warmth - a bit like a Travel Lodge really. In view of the price we had paid it was OK but if I had been paying full price I would have been very disappointed.

Once we had settled in the room we decided to have a look around the hotel as we would be spending the evening there with our little boy. It seemed like it was geared towards conferencing and corporate functions to us. The bar area was very nice and the girl working at the bar was very friendly. We decided to eat in the bar area and not the restaurant (which was a wise choice as the food was a lot more expensive in the restaurant and as it was so quiet it lacked any atmosphere). We ordered food at the bar and when it came it was delicious. Again though the atmosphere was lacking - just some background music would have been good but as there were hardly any other guests there you could hear a pin drop.

Once we had eaten we returned to our room with our little boy who was now asleep. We were tired so decided to go to bed as any sleep is appreciated with a little baby to contend with and we had plans to visit York the following day. It was so warm in the room I really struggled to sleep though and there was no tempereature control within the rooms. I opened the window on a couple of occasions but it blew shut so I gave up on it. After a poor night's sleep we went down for breakfast which was very nice. There was a good selection of cereals and cooked breakfast options to chose from and again the staff were very friendly.

On the whole It was a mixed experience really. I would possibly go back if the price was right (I certainly wouldn't pay £90 plus) The staff from start to finish were really good and the food was excellent. The library like atmosphere of the bar and restaurant couldn't be helped as far as numbers of people were concerned but a bit of quiet music wouldn't go a miss to put a bit of life in the place. I don't know what the rest of the rooms were like but ours was clean yet basic - like I said, the standard you would expect from a decent travel lodge. The location is fine if you are prepared to drive in and out of York yourself. If you can get a room for £40 - £60 then it may still work out cheaper to get a taxi in and out of York on an evening than paying over the odds prices for the centre of York - it's about 8 miles from the city centre. And if you need a disabled room, check to make sure it's on the ground floor!

• Liked — Good quality food
  • Disliked — Basic room quality
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank PhilLeeds_England
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 23 July 2007

My husband and I held our wedding reception at Burn Hall on 7th July 2007 and felt we really had to let people know about this place.

Firstly, its beautiful, the grounds are stunning and you feel as if your in the middle of nowhere. Secondly, its newly refurbished so everything is pristine.

All the accomodation is brand new and only recently completed. The rooms are more than comfortable with all the mod cons needed. The beds are so comfy and the bathrooms very modern and spacious! I needed a hairdryer the morning we checked out and after a quick call to reception, it was with us within minutes. The service is great.

The food is also fantastic! Our wedding breakfast was cooked to perfection, we had 70 guests and they all said how lovely it was. The dining room is very spacious but still retains a cosy feel. Breakfast the next morning was buffet style but everything you would expect from a traditional English breakfast.

The staff are amazing. They all worked so hard to make our day perfect. Nothing was too much trouble and this attitude continued after the celebrations were over.

We had family over from the USA and further afield and they all enjoyed the sightseeing trips into York, location wise its ideal with York about a 20 minute car journey.

All in all, Burn Hall is a lovely place to stay and great for weekend breaks and weddings! I would certainly recommend this place to friends and family.

• Liked — Fantastic Friendly service
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank LJTaylor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huby
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boroughbridge
The Old Lodge
The Old Lodge
#3 of 4 in Malton

Been to Best Western Burn Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!